Playback stops, until I move my phone

fishyweb

Since installing on my new Pixel 4a5g with Android 12, playback stops every minute or 2, but then restarts when I move the phone, only to stop again a short while later. It is as if there is some setting that puts the phone into a sleep state if it doesn't move for x seconds.

I've set the app to be excluded from battery optimisation, so I'm guessing there is some other setting that is causing this. Can anyone suggest what this might be? 

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 6:32 PM, fishyweb said:

@maxmp@maxmp Thanks. I already had the Unrestricted battery setting. I uninstalled / reinstalled and that sorted it out. 

This has started happening again. Battery is still Unrestricted. I can re-install again, but don't really want to keep having to do this. Any idea what would be causing this problem to keep recurring? 

@fishyweb I don't have a Pixel 4a5g or android 12 OS, so we have to work it from your side. 

Do you have any other music player installed? If yes, is it having same issue? 

You did not explain what you meant by moving the phone. 

Does this happen immediately when screen turn off (phone locked)? 

Do you have a third-party Ram management app installed? (please check) 

Finally, in Poweramp settings, Misc - Use wake lock. Enable. 

Bencherished 

Hi @Bencherished. I don't have any other music player, so cannot compare on that score.

By "moving the phone", I mean picking it up to wake up the screen; or clicking the power button to wake it up. If I leave the phone alone so that the screen timeout expires, playback will stop for a variable period (a few seconds to some minutes) and then will restart for a few seconds, and then stop again, and so on. Waking up the screen always causes playback to resume immediately, but it then goes intermittent as described after a few seconds of the the screen turning off again. 

I don't have any RAM management apps installed. 

For now, I force stopped the app and restarted it, and this has resolved the issue again for the time being, but I imagine it will resume again at some point as per this time. 

The Wakelock setting was disabled. I've enabled it now and will monitor the effect. Owing to the intermittent nature of the problem, and the fact that playback keeps resuming periodically, I'm guessing that the issue will not be resolved by enabling this, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. 

One factor that may be relevant is that I most frequently use Poweramp through Android Auto. The problem has not occurred at all in this use case. So far it has only occurred when playing through the phone speaker. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

Playback stopping when the screen is off would normally be some sort of power optimisation / battery saver (which some devices re-enable on their own if an app has not been used for a while). You could try sending a logfile just after it next happens, using PA Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log=>(email to gpmaxmpz[at]gmail.com). Add a note here saying that you have sent it so he knows it relates to this thread. But if PA is getting killed by the device, the log might not be helpful.

Andre