CUE file references two audio files, but only one is shown (rip of an LP)

Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

I have a CUE file for a rip of an LP I have (it's Pink Floyd's Meddle) that references side A and side B but Poweramp only created 5 tracks and doesn't mention Echoes, which takes up all of side B. Is this intentional or a bug?

Build number: 917-bundle-play

Device: Pixel 4a

Android Version: 12.0 latest patch

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 09 Nov 2016
REM BAZAR_VinylRiP
REM LABEL Pink Floyd Records - SIJP-17, Pink Floyd Records - PFRLP6
REM Country: Japan
 PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
 TITLE "Meddle [Mastered from the Original Master Tapes]"
 FILE "Pink Floyd - Meddle A_side [Mastered from the Original Master Tapes].wv" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "One Of These Days (Written-By - Gilmour*, Mason*, Wright*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 00:00:00
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   TITLE "A Pillow Of Winds (Written-By - Gilmour*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 05:58:00
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   TITLE "Fearless (Written-By - Gilmour*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 11:05:00
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   TITLE "San Tropez (Written-By - Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 17:15:00
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   TITLE "Seamus (Written-By - Gilmour*, Mason*, Wright*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 20:56:00
 FILE "Pink Floyd - Meddle B_side [Mastered from the Original Master Tapes].wv" WAVE
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   TITLE "Echoes (Written-By - Gilmour*, Mason*, Wright*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"

• Solution

The problem is that the second audio file contains only one indexed track (track #6), which PA is coded to ignore. This is because when some CD-ripping software generates its separate audio files for each track, it also builds a CUE sheet which simply catalogues every created file. This is normally unnecessary as each audio file should contain its own (often more detailed) embedded tag metadata, so an extra CUE file that just points to all the already-scanned audio files one-by-one is redundant.

To test this, if you add a fake second track at the end of the CUE, it then works:

FILE "Pink Floyd - Meddle B_side [Mastered from the Original Master Tapes].flac" WAVE
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   TITLE "Echoes (Written-By - Gilmour*, Mason*, Wright*, Waters*)"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   TITLE "Dummy Extra Track"
   PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
   INDEX 01 23:30:00

I'm guessing your wavpack files probably don't contain any metadata, but if you add the correct Title/Album/Artist/Track/etc tags to the B_Side file, I think you'll find it will then scan into PA quite correctly without the need for any CUE data. You will also probably need to add a PERFORMER entry at the top of the CUE file for the whole album, and a matching Album Artist tag in the B_Side audio file, so PA to considers that the extra track is part of the same album.

Andre

I did notice that you were using wavpack, which isn't exactly the most widespread and convenient of formats. Some of the better PC tag editors could probably do it though [Edit: MP3tag and Tagscanner both work].

I doubt anything will be done to change that one-track-CUE-file restriction within Poweramp though, as it is there for a very good reason. You've got a few workaround available anyway.

Andre