Embedded Album Art for Ogg Files

Poweramp 2.0.2-build-463

Motorola Defy+

Android 2.3.4

Stock Motorola ROM

Problem : Embedded album art not recognized for ogg files.

Cause : After hours of analysis - old deprecated format (tag) used for album art tag for ogg files in Poweramp

Fix : The correct format (tag) for embedded album art in ogg files can be found here:

http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Cover_art

Please fix.

• 3 months later...

Using the last version (2.0.5-build-488) on a Samsung Galaxy S II (stock TouchWiz, stable Android 4.0.3, I9100XXLQ), still having this problem.

First I thought it was a problem on my conversor, dbPowerAmp (I have several music files on FLAC format that I convert to Ogg Vorbis before syncing to my phone, since its ocupy far less space on my phone memory and it's a better format than MP3 quality-wise), since neither Poweramp, Google Play Music and even foobar2000 (for Windows) was showing embedded album art on Vorbis Comment. And indeed it is a problem on dbPowerAmp, but I fixed it with MP3Tag, and now both Google Play Music and foobar2000 correctly show album art on Ogg files, but Poweramp is still a no-no.

Please fix.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

same problem here. embedded album art of .ogg doesn't show. i'm using the latest paid version.

if i look at the tagging info for any such vorbis file, Poweramp incorrectly claims that no album art is embedded.

edit: in contrast to Poweramp, the stock player in cyanogenmod 7.2 (on a nexus one)displays the cover art.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have recently started transcoding my FLAC collection to OGG to save space (my new phone has no external microSD), and found out about this issue. Such a shame, I really like Poweramp. For now I have to contend with the cover.jpg workaround... Luckily, I only have a few albums converted. I will wait till this issue gets sorted.

I have recently started transcoding my FLAC collection to OGG to save space (my new phone has no external microSD), and found out about this issue. Such a shame, I really like PowerAmp. For now I have to contend with the cover.jpg workaround... Luckily, I only have a few albums converted. I will wait till this issue gets sorted.

Or just use MP3s like everyone else? With a good encoder and a decent bitrate you'll be hard-pressed to tell any difference on a phone.

Andre

Or just use MP3s like everyone else? With a good encoder and a decent bitrate you'll be hard-pressed to tell any difference on a phone.

Andre

LAME is a pretty good encoder, I admit... But, bitrate-by-bitrate, OGG is better, especially when you go to lower bitrates. At high bitrates, yes, they are hardly any different. At least, I know the difference with my phone and DAC when you go to low enough bitrates.

Poweramp is marketed more towards the more 'power user' with tons of customization options, so I find it troubling when such a simple issue gets overlooked for years.

Also, with all due respect, your suggested solution is like asking someone to swap cars permanently when one of the tires blew up. To re-iterate, most of the music players in the market currently support the OGG album art, both in PC and Android as many have mentioned in other threads. Of course, there are more to PA than just displaying album art, and I don't think it's a deal-breaker for me; I will keep using PA for a foreseeable future. However, again, it's a shame that PA kinda ignored this issue for years.

so I find it troubling when such a simple issue gets overlooked for years.

I wasn't trying to defend the delay, merely suggesting one solution which might work for you in the meantime. With a decent batch encoder and LAME you could probably automatically re-encode large amounts of music in one go. But as you say, it's a lot of work.

I can't disagree with your frustrations of seeing popular feature requests being effectively dismissed for years though; I'm in the same boat as you, and many of the other dedicated users here, over a number of requested features.

Andre

I can't disagree with your frustrations of seeing popular feature requests being effectively dismissed for years though; I'm in the same boat as you, and many of the other dedicated users here, over a number of requested features.

As it stands, I don't think this is a 'feature request' but rather a bug (and also a small one at that). This one is just about changing the way the tags are read, which is already implemented in FLAC files. I'm not an active Android app developer, but I know that this is not a massive system change. So, I think not just me, but also many other people who started similar threads about this, are left wondering why this small, totally fixable issue gets ignored for this long. The xiph.org recommendation to shift to METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE is already out for even longer...

Quite. There are so many relatively small fixes and minor feature requests which would go such a long way toward placating the general level of user unease and frustration that sadly now seems to surround Poweramp (at least if these forums are anything to go by).

It rather feels as though the current Poweramp project has in effect been largely abandoned, and all efforts are being made into building what will be basically a new product that looks much the same.

I don't know whether I can speak for any other users, but personally I don't actually want a wholly rebuilt system and new audio engine, I just want incremental features to be regularly added to a product which I already like very much, but which unfortunately has seen no really substantial updates for 2+ years (see the changelog).

I guess the problem is there's just not enough Max to go around, it's hard for a one-man-band to do everything when you start to find yourself looking after what is now a multi-million users project.

Andre

I guess the problem is there's just not enough Max to go around, it's hard for a one-man-band to do everything when you start to find yourself looking after what is now a multi-million users project.

The full version unlocker of Poweramp has sold over 1,000,000 (one million) times in the Play store. There is absolutely no need for Poweramp to be a "one-man band" as you say. If you have multiple million dollars of revenue with a product, it is feasible to hire a dev or two that fix bugs. If you don't, then you probably consider the app nothing but a cash cow at this point.

• 5 months later...

Archived