Find & Replace

Wolksby

Hi, I have a very simple question, the answer to which should save me some time, but I don't want to push blindly ahead, and then find I've screwed up!

In the Title field, I show the title of the piece of music, and then, using the Convert function, which I learnt from another forum here, I was able to show that original title, and then have the composer's name automatically added afterwards in brackets.

Originally it would show: 'Nocturne in C minor'     (the composer in the composer's column would show Chopin, Frederick.

Using Convert, the title would then show as Nocturne in C minor  [Chopin, Frederick}

Just suppose I had spelt Chopin in correctly, say Shopin. It would be easy to change all the instances in the Composer colun from Shopin, Frederick to Chopin, Frederick.

But this DOESNT alter the composer's name appended to the title, so that will still show incorrectly. If I just select everything and do the Convert again, while it takes the information from the corrected composer's name, it doesn't delete the original entry!

So I'd end up with Nocturne in C minor  [Shopin, Frederick]  [Chopin, Frederick

What I' like to be able to do is to take the Composer column in bulk, and do what on Word would be Find and Replace, or similar,

I would ask it to find all the instances of Shopin, and ask that these be changed to Chopin - of ask it to find all Shopin, Fredericks and bulk change these inot Chopin, Frederick.

It must be easy, but I'm always afriad of screwing up, even with a couple of backups!

Many thanks!

Hi Andre, that's so kind!

In my haste to seek an answer, I forgot that this wasn't a question for Poweramp, hence the 'Convert' issue, but for MP3 Tag - the programme I use to get everything correctly tagged  so that they then play and show correctly on Poweramp.

Apologies to the Forum for asking the wrong programme. If you have experience of MP3 Tag, you may still have the answer!

Many thanks!

MP3Tag and Tagscanner are similar programs, they can both do what you want.

In MP3Tag you could use 'Actions (Quick)' (Alt+Shift+6) on a selected group of songs - or create a new saved Action with Alt+6 > New.

Select the action type "Replace" and set its control panel like this, so for the TITLE tag it will search and replace any occurrences of "Shopin" with "Chopin":
image.png

https://community.mp3tag.de/t/actions-and-batch-operations/967/4

Andre