• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley very nice, unfortunately again in unreadable format

I know. In my original thread on the subject, I suggested that any new backup format should internally use XML files, and store everything inside one large ZIP-compatible container. At least the overall file can be opened, shame the contained lists-export file isn't XML though. I assume that's the part that contains playlists, ratings, counts, etc.

Andre

6 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

My app still has 1 feature which Poweramp does not (yet) have, the ability to update ratings from the popm tag

Yes, importing and exporting ratings and play counts using file-based POPM counts is long overdue. As is embedding artwork back to files (even if it's just via a tickbox in the Info/Tags editor screen).

I wondered if the use of a binary format was for filesize reasons (XML being more verbose) but it's so repetitive that the ZIP/compression code would eat up 95% of that. I can see there being security issues with user-editing the main settings file, but not simple ratings, counts, playlists, etc. It would always be at own-risk anyway, you'd need to dig into the archive first.

Andre