PowerAmp Presets and Music Quality

site.user

In version 1.x my favourite preset was Rock but in 2.x Techno matches to what I was used to.

I like Poweramp that is the reason for this post. The UI enhancements are a welcome but the audio quality is not as good as in 1.x somehow. My Motorola Atrix phone has better audio chip than Motorola Defy I still use but Poweramp 2.x the audio quality is not as clear as before.

Also after Gingerbread upgrade I can hear hissing noise that I never heard before. I'm not sure if there is something about the ROM or the Poweramp.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. Different people mean different things by audio quality = volume, frequency response, effects, snr, something else.

For PowerAMP 2.0 none of the codecs were changed in decoding part, thus, the codec output is bit to bit as previously.

As for Equalizer, it was tuned to allow larger range of adjustments without overload with Limiter. Still, Limiter will add some non-linear distortion to the sound, and ultimately, it's advised to keep level of basses to allow only small overload. In this case Limiter compression is not noticeable.

Please also check your StereoX setting as it definitely change sound pretty aggressively.

You can also try to disable Direct Volume Control to get 1-1 sound of PowerAMP 1.4 (assuming StereoX and Limiter are disabled, this will be bit-to-bit same output), but disabling DVC will reduce level of possible equalizer band amplifications, especially in low frequencies.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Different people mean different things by audio quality = volume, frequency response, effects, snr, something else.

For Poweramp 2.0 none of the codecs were changed in decoding part, thus, the codec output is bit to bit as previously.

As for Equalizer, it was tuned to allow larger range of adjustments without overload with Limiter. Still, Limiter will add some non-linear distortion to the sound, and ultimately, it's advised to keep level of basses to allow only small overload. In this case Limiter compression is not noticeable.

Please also check your StereoX setting as it definitely change sound pretty aggressively.

You can also try to disable Direct Volume Control to get 1-1 sound of Poweramp 1.4 (assuming StereoX and Limiter are disabled, this will be bit-to-bit same output), but disabling DVC will reduce level of possible equalizer band amplifications, especially in low frequencies.

Thanks!

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

After posting my thoughts about the changes I started paying more attentions to the difference. I also followed your advice about applying the changes. Strange enough, I preferred the Direct Volume Control for the 3D sound and the Techno preset. I've got a feeling the old settings would give me the desired effect on Defy but not on Atrix. I'd post about it in this thread if that wasn't the case.

The StereoX setting is not something goes well with my hearing which is above average, sharp that is. Lastly, just would like to assure you the current settings I have on my Atrix is actually good now.

Thank you.

p.s. I'm sure you are aware of the problem with the widget's art work not changing any more since the last update.

Archived