Jump to content

[Critical] EQ-Preset can be changed if there is no previous song


P0w3rUs3r
 Share

Recommended Posts

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8
OS: Android 9
Poweramp version: V3, Builds 906-911
Priority of bug: Critical

Hi,

When the first song of a folder is being played, the previous button will restart the song
AND can change the EQ preset.
Depending on the preset, the sound can be very very loud and therefore lead to ear damage!

When there is a previous song (e.g. track 2 is being played), track 1 gets started and everything is ok.

I often connect my Galaxy S8 to a bluetooth loudspeaker and my BT EQ profile gets selected automatically.
When I connect wired headphones to my S8, the EQ profile inEars gets chosen.
Then it often happens that Poweramp selects the BT EQ profile when I press "Previous track" in Poweramp
and if there is no previous track.

Steps to reproduce bug:
1. Create an EQ profile for BT devices and link it to BT
2. Make the same for wired headphones and link it to wired
3. Connect your phone to a BT device
4. Start any song from any folder within Poweramp
5. Check which EQ profile was selected (in this case it must be EQ BT)
6. Stop song, exit Poweramp and close BT connection
7. Plug your headphones, open Poweramp and press play
8. Check the EQ profile (must be inEars now)
9. Press previous button (song will be restarted) and now you will see it selected EQ profile for BT!!

Of course it can also happen the other way around.
It does not always occur, but too often.

Please fix that bug as soon as possible.

Thank you and best regards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

77 views but no reply...

Bug not described well?
Bug can't be re-produced?
Bug was already reported?

Some feedback would be nice!

I face it like each 2nd day when I plugin my phones.
Most times I listen through Bluetooth and as soon as I use phones again,
it happens very often that I press previous and the EQ preset gets changed.

Best regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just about to report a similar bug (for the second time, my first one had no response). 

It seems that Poweramp can't detect devices properly. I have to fully close the app, then re-open (sometimes twice), before it detects the current Bluetooth device. Otherwise, it will keep switching back to the wrong EQ preset. 

I can tell it's a detection thing - when it's having this issue, I can hold down an EQ preset and hit "Assign". Under "Bluetooth", it will show the wrong device name which isn't connected. E.g. I have my Sony headphones paired, but in the 'assign' section, it only shows "Topping BC3" under Bluetooth. It will also keep switching to the BC3 assigned preset, every new track, instead of the Sony preset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only ever been able to reproduce this by having a new BT device 'override' an existing BT connection. Then if you re-connect the old device again later, it sometimes does not show up by name. But that only happened occasionally, I can't replicate it.

Maybe @maxmp can take a look at it when he gets a chance, see if he can reproduce this issue more reliably? 

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, andrewilley said:

I've only ever been able to reproduce this by having a new BT device 'override' an existing BT connection. Then if you re-connect the old device again later, it sometimes does not show up by name. But that only happened occasionally, I can't replicate it.

Maybe @maxmp can take a look at it when he gets a chance, see if he can reproduce this issue more reliably? 

Andre

For me it happens regardless. I can use my BC3 at home, sometimes it chooses the Sony preset and refuses to change (until restarting). Next day, I leave the house, then wear my Sony's while out. And it might start choosing the BC3 preset. It's unpredictable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Barib said:

For me it happens regardless. I can use my BC3 at home, sometimes it chooses the Sony preset and refuses to change (until restarting). Next day, I leave the house, then wear my Sony's while out. And it might start choosing the BC3 preset. It's unpredictable

It could be phone device related. I have 5 different BT devices paired to mine (2 different cars, 2 different headphones, and a Bluetooth speaker) and all switch names quickly. I have set profiles for each, and Poweramp follows these as the device changes. I’m using a DAP, IBasso DX160 with Android 8.1. Perhaps some of the newer Android 11/12 OS updates are adding some complications?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

It could be phone device related. I have 5 different BT devices paired to mine (2 different cars, 2 different headphones, and a Bluetooth speaker) and all switch names quickly. I have set profiles for each, and Poweramp follows these as the device changes. I’m using a DAP, IBasso DX160 with Android 8.1. Perhaps some of the newer Android 11/12 OS updates are adding some complications?

It could be; I'm using a Galaxy S20 with Android 11. I'm pretty sure it was fine until some months ago? Maybe it's the Android 11 update, but I can't be sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

thank you for your feedback and sorry for my late response.

I can confirm that it has nothing to do with device linking.

These are my EQ profiles and this happens when I press previous and IF there is no previous song.
(It means the first song will just be repeated):
--- see attachmant ---


Poweramp activates automatically the EQ profile "Logitech Z906/Sharp GX-BT480"
when BT audio is enabled.
As soon as I plugin my inEars, it switches to EQ profile "inEars".
Everything correct so far!

But if I press previous track AND if there is no previous track, Poweramp activates the previous EQ profile.

I face this bug practically every day, because at home I listen over Bluetooth
and when I leave the home, I plugin my inEars and it often happens the it just hurts when the wrong EQ profile gets chosen.

As soon as I manually fix the EQ profile, it stays!
But after Poweramp changes the profiles again (e.g. when I'm back home) and I press previous,
it picks again the inEars profile.

In my opinion the previous song button calls a wrong function if there is no previous song.

Best regards

PowerAMP-EQ-Bug.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@P0w3rUs3r What EQ settings are so dramatically different from your preferred settings to the others? I am not suggesting the issue does not exist as you describe. But if the one that loads when you press back is causing you that much discomfort, can you at least re-save that EQ setting with a much lower preamp level for safety? Just a suggestion in the meantime for you. But volume levels shouldn’t be dramatic from setting to setting in most cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, P0w3rUs3r said:

I face this bug practically every day, because at home I listen over Bluetooth
and when I leave the home, I plugin my inEars and it often happens the it just hurts when the wrong EQ profile gets chosen.

This is why I asked, as reported by @P0w3rUs3r the EQ change hurts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MotleyG said:

This is why I asked, as reported by @P0w3rUs3r the EQ change hurts.

And it's so jarring. You're just enjoying the music, the next track comes on, and suddenly there's treble attacking your ears at high volume. Not very relaxing or calm. It's a total pain to keep changing EQ back while Poweramp wants to screw it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, Poweramp just doesn't switch to a new device. I get home, use my headphone amp, and it doesn't switch to the assigned preset. It insists on using the Bluetooth Sony preset from before. I have to close + reopen Poweramp about 3 times until it wants to switch over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Barib Are you saying that audio playback does not switch over to the new device reliably, or that the audio does switch but PA's equalization preset does not change to match the new audio output method?

Andre

The audio switches fine (it's the only device connected). But PA insists on using the previous EQ preset. I can change it manually, but when the next song plays, it'll switch back again. Or whenever I choose a song. It switches itself back.

The only solution is closing + reopening PA, a few times, until it finally chooses the right preset automatically. (assigned to the playback device)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So when you plug in a headset, PA still activates your saved Bluetooth Preset, even though that BT device has been turned off/disconnected? I can only get the issue you describe to occur if I accidentally leave a BT device connected (in which case PA switches to that profile even if you have manually chosen headset instead).

Also, if you unplug a wired headset but you haven't already created a saved Preset for phone-speaker, PA will have to revert to the last-used equalizer setting before the headset was inserted - which may have been a BT profile.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, P0w3rUs3r said:

. Press previous button (song will be restarted) and now you will see it selected EQ profile for BT!!

I can't reproduce this:

- when you're in folders (or any other category with sub-categories), this will always move to some other sub-category
- when you're in the top category without subcategories (such as All Songs), this will display popup and won't change track or do anything

Generally, Poweramp ability to react on device change depends on how well Android reports about the device connection. Such reporting may lag a lot, e.g. for Bluetooth devices it may good 5 seconds until we get info about connection (music may be playing already), so we may lag with the preset selection. Same with BT to any other device change, when player may think it's still on BT.

Player can't magically know what is the output device, the info is available asynchronously at the moment system chooses.
Also some Androids may support multiple outputs at the same time (e.g. Samsungs). Obviously, this results in random output reported to the player. No any support for multiple outputs in Android framework exists, unfortunately.

This depends a lot on Android version, as Androids have different BT stacks depending on version (it changed every 2 years or so).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Barib said:

The audio switches fine (it's the only device connected). But PA insists on using the previous EQ preset. I can change it manually, but when the next song plays, it'll switch back again. Or whenever I choose a song. It switches itself back.

This is indication of previous output type still active as Poweramp thinks. You can check this by opening Audio Info, the reported output is visible there.

Also this is very device/ROM/Android dependent. There is probably no chance to reproduce this on another device, so please indicate yours so I can try to reproduce that (hopefully similar device is available nearby).

@P0w3rUs3r unfortunately I can reproduce your issue on the same device for build 915. You can help with: exporting your settings (send to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com), and also captured screencast will be helpful. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@maxmp:

I think you meant "fortunately I can reproduce it"? ;)

Thanks for the feedback - I have just sent the settings file to the e-mail address you posted.

I also checked that it didn't matter whether I start a song from a folder or from a playlist (within Poweramp).
Generally, I can just pick any song from any list and press previous -> the EQ profile gets changed...

When I'm outside, I use the remote control which hangs on the inEars cable.
It leads to the same issue...

Best regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

This is indication of previous output type still active as Poweramp thinks. You can check this by opening Audio Info, the reported output is visible there.

Also this is very device/ROM/Android dependent. There is probably no chance to reproduce this on another device, so please indicate yours so I can try to reproduce that (hopefully similar device is available nearby).

@P0w3rUs3r

That's unfortunate, I see it's not a Poweramp issue then. I'm using a Galaxy S20 (SM-G981B/DS) with Android 11, latest update 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...