Problems with MP3 files encoded at 256 Kbit/s VBR or 320 CBR

Kermit63

Hi there,

bought a few days ago an Archos 70 IT 250 GB as media player. Did install the Poweramp trial version as this seems to be the only Android audio player I have tested which works with my folder playlist files.

However, I have experienced the following problem: a few of my MP3 files are encoded at a bit rate of 128, 160, or 192 kbit/s CBR, but most are 256 kbit/s VBR (e.g. those purchased from Amazon) or even up to 320 CBR. Now, Poweramp plays those files with the lower compression rates just fine without any glitch, but while playing the files encoded at 256 kbit/s VBR and above Poweramp repeatedly produces very brief pauses or glitches.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this behavior (aside from downgrading about 5.000 MP3 files now on the tablet to a compression rate of 128 kbit/s) will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Haddy,

I am afraid it may not be an encoding issue. Files are mostly encoded using different LAME versions, depending when they were made. All work fine on my other computers, iPhone, iPod touch as well as with several (but not all) other players (more than 10 now) I tested the last three days on the Archos, e.g. the one pre-installed on the Archos 70 IT, simply named 'Music'. Other players show the same problem. In any case, the other players I tested all do not support my locally saved .m3u playlists (do find them, but report them as empty) and are therefore of not much use to me.

I think the problem may be a memory issue, and/or that the loading from the HDD into the audio cache causes the glitches.

I did remove the trail version yesterday, but have a few minutes ago reinstalled it. Have set the Audio Buffer Size to 'huge', and the Audio Thread Priority to 'highest'. Have manually killed all other active apps. Result: still the same. Files encoded at less than 256 kbit/s VBR files play without glitches, but those with a higher compression rate do not.

Issue solved, however, not necessarily in PowerAMPs best interest, at least as of now.

After not getting Poweramp to play my larger files flawlessly, I spend several hours fiddling with my existing playlists. After nothing worked, I dug through every android forum I could find and tested still some more players.

Result: I just found one! It makes my day! Will purchase it.

However: if you can manage to fix the issue I have with my 256 kbit/s and above mp3 files, please let me know and I will give Poweramp another chance!

Thanks for the report. Please send me example of such file to Poweramp.maxmpz gmail.com for tests.

Just did send off an email (Subject is: forum.powerampapp.com; User Kermit63: Problems with MP3 files encoded at 256 Kbit/s VBR or 320 CBR) with three files attached, plus the required information on the Archos.

Let me know by e-mail if you need more information.

Archived