Exporting Ratings/State of Like or Dislike

Hi everybody,

I couldn’t find a settings for saving rating stars to music file. I want to rate my music with PA, and when I transfer them to my PC, I want to see them as rated. I see when I rate a song in BlackPlayer and transfer it to my pc, it’s shown. Can I do the same for PA?

Thanks for great app devs.

Ibrahim.

PA does not have any facility to write ratings back into physical audio files, nor to read them from audio files. Ratings information is held in a local database only. PA can export this information to a file (as an entire-Library playlist in fact) but that's just for backup purposes, in case you want to reinstall PA or move your setup to a new device.

The only way you can do what you want is via a third-party app, New Playlist Manager, which is capable of copying the ratings out from PA's database and saving them into your physical music files where other apps can find them too.

Andre

18 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

Permission restrictions on external sdcards with these releases prevent writing to those tracks

Is that still not resolved? How do other apps (like Poweramp itself, photo editors, file explorers, etc) access SD Card content? Google are becoming more and more like Apple / Big Brother every day. :(

Andre

@andrewilley my problem is that i use an external library called jid3 https://github.com/ericfarng/jid3lib which has not caught up ( probably never will) with the new requirements. The whole file i/o with 10+ is an unmitigated disaster and many older app have been broken, especially those using external libraries. Although maxmp will also use external libraries, he has the necessary skills to resolve permission and file io issues. I will have to wait until someone publishes an up to date mp3 tag editor on github.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, andrewilley said:

PA does not have any facility to write ratings back into physical audio files, nor to read them from audio files. Ratings information is held in a local database only. PA can export this information to a file (as an entire-Library playlist in fact) but that's just for backup purposes, in case you want to reinstall PA or move your setup to a new device.

How to do that?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, andrewilley said:

The only way you can do what you want is via a third-party app, New Playlist Manager, which is capable of copying the ratings out from PA's database and saving them into your physical music files where other apps can find them too.

Andre

Is this the only app?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley @İbrahim Yiğit with one proviso under android 10+ as long as your tracks are located on the internal memory. Permission restrictions on external sdcards with these releases prevent writing to those tracks

How to do that? Should I create a playlist and click “update tags with rating”?

@İbrahim Yiğit I'll leave Theo to cover the workings of his app, but to backup ratings using PA alone you need to make a temporary playlist that contains every song in your Library.

In the 'All Songs' category, long press on any song title and then tap 'All' and use '+Playlist' to add all of the songs in your library into a new playlist. Then in the 'Playlists' category there is a menu option called 'Export', which will create backup file copies of all internal playlists (including the new all-encompassing one you just created).

That .M3U8 file can be placed anywhere that a newly installed Poweramp setup can scan, and as long as you have enabled Settings > Library > Playlists > Import Ratings, when it scans that playlist it will restore all of the saved ratings too.

Andre

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, İbrahim Yiğit said:

Can it write on mp3 file?

No, we are talking about backing up and restoring Poweramp's internal database entries and other PA files and settings. PA can neither read nor write POPM (rating) tags directly.

You still need to use the external app New Playlist Manager if you want to write ratings back into the POPM tags in your music files.

Andre