Dynamic Playlist Support

I would like to have the Dynamic playlist feature in Poweramp, that I really miss after migrated from Rocket Player.

Dynamic Playlists consists of user defined criterias based on the tag values and other properties.

A simple example is:

year ≥ 2020 AND genre=pop AND genre ≠ hiphop SORT BY recently-added LIMIT BY 50

This feature help us to automatically update the playlist when adding new songs to the local library. Rocket Player has implemented this feature very well.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, flyingdutchman said:

@Shafeer Painkal this is a feature i recently added to New Playlist Manager. It has the query builder where you link the query to a playlist. and an option to update those playlists.

I believe you are referring to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager

I agree that dynamic ("smart") playlists within the main app would be a nice idea.

In fact, it rather fits in with a previous suggestion of mine for user-customised Categories (https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/16878-more-all-songs-list-arranging-options/?do=findComment&comment=72598). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add some sort of 'Filter' List Option - for example Year >= 2020 Genre != HipHop | Limit Results = 50

Andre

11 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I agree that dynamic ("smart") playlists within the main app would be a nice idea.

Yeah I was actually thinking of suggesting a feature like how Spotify automatically creates playlists/mixes based on listening habits 🎧

5 minutes ago, John Titor said:

Yeah I was actually thinking of suggesting a feature like how Spotify automatically creates playlists/mixes based on listening habits 🎧

I think that would require a degree of audio analysis that's beyond a local music player - and besides, all that would happen in my case is it would decide that my type of music is, well, my whole music collection. :)  

Andre

13 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley you can build your own queries using my tool

But that's still an external step - albeit a very good and powerful one. But it still requires the user to exit PA to build a new fixed list rather, than the list being dynamic within the core app and adjusting itself as your music collection changes.

Andre

@andrewilley i am slightly puzzled by user insistance on core app functionality and the apparent willingness to forego additional features if they are not in the main app. In android, apps are "running" most of the time and switching is just 2 taps, probably the same "effort" as selecting this option in Poweramp should it be available. The notion you would need to exit Poweramp is false. As you know my app creates playlists directly in Poweramp so you could see npm as an extension rather than a separate app. By the same token, user do not use Poweramp as their main mp3 editor, they use an external app which does the job a little better.

Although these npm smart playlists do not react and update on changes by themselves, i have recently provided an option to update  them so one click will suffice to update all your smart playlists. (No doubt this process could be triggered by some event)

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I think that would require a degree of audio analysis that's beyond a local music player

Well I was thinking of an "autoplay"  feature, like in Spotify, after a playlist reaches an end, a mix of most played songs/ or of tagged similar genres, gets queued immediately, for a continuous playback experience.

As for more complex and relevant suggestions/analysis, I think it could fetch song suggestions from last.fm or such sites, and query local file database to see if those suggestions are available for playback.