Rewind Pro Buttons and Category Pro Buttons

Joe Tsai

Please make it possible to have both the +10/-10 sec rewind buttons as well as the <<< >>> category change buttons.

Default PA options only allow for one or the other, which really sucks when you listen to both podcasts and songs. I mean my listening app should be able to handle both nicely right?

For instance just allow adding the +10/-10 sec rewind buttons under the change track buttons, like my edited pic below. Shouldn't be that hard given the huge amount of wasted space available around the controls.

idea.thumb.png.085b7c609296eab966bcb12328927919.png

I must confess that back years ago, when I and other users were first requesting a +/- 10 seconds feature, I had rather hoped it would be as extra buttons rather than replacing the useful Category Change buttons.

You can set it so the +/- buttons only appear for longer tracks though, so it doesn't affect most songs (I have mine set for 20+ minutes).

Not all device screens (or layouts / skins) have so much free space for extra buttons though:

20210829_105245.jpg

Andre

I know the setting you're talking about.

The thing is I like to use +10/-10 sec for my songs, while of course also having a way to quickly switch to the next Category (idk why PA uses this word, in reality it's Folder).

With regards to the space issue, well that's easy to work around too. Add a setting where tapping Pro buttons once yields +10/-10 sec skip, and tapping them twice goes previous/next category.

It is only a 'folder skip' if you happen to be listening to folders; if you are listening to an album then the buttons do Next/Prev Album, or next Artist, or Genre, or Playlist, etc. Hence the use of the general term "Category" to cover all the possibilities.

Multi-tapping the buttons to choose between skip 10 secs or go to Next Category would not work, as you might want to tap 2 or 3 times to skip 20 or 30 seconds.

Personally, I'd have repaced the Track change buttons to create the +/-10 secs buttons, with long-press still resulting in the Ffwd/Rewind action. Track changing can already be done by swiping on the Album art, so the >> and << buttons just duplicate that functionality.

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Personally, I'd have repaced the Track change buttons to create the +/-10 secs buttons, with long-press still resulting in the Ffwd/Rewind action. Track changing can already be done by swiping on the Album art, so the >> and << buttons just duplicate that functionality.

That's a pretty good point regarding the duplicate functionality.

I suggest maybe even the other way round, where Track buttons and Rewind buttons stay as they are, and make the swipe Album Art yield change Category. I say this because Track buttons are probably used a lot more than Category, and most people are probably used to there default location.

6 hours ago, Joe Tsai said:

I suggest maybe even the other way round, where Track buttons and Rewind buttons stay as they are, and make the swipe Album Art yield change Category. I say this because Track buttons are probably used a lot more than Category, and most people are probably used to there default location.

Except the swipe left/right is used by many for track change on the go. You do know there are swipes for category change too, with a full swipe from the edge, both left and right. The actual buttons are also used when I choose to do so.

I would prefer if any change is made, that it be set as a preference toggle. I have no need or desire for these +/- 10sec buttons that are useless in my case to clutter up my now playing screen.

1 hour ago, MotleyG said:

You do know there are swipes for category change too, with a full swipe from the edge, both left and right.

That only works when you are on the final track of a Category (or the first to go backward). You can't swipe to change Categories at any other time. 

Poweramp v2 actually provided up/down gestures for Category changing, but for some reason they didn't make it into v3.

Andre

4 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

That only works when you are on the final track of a Category (or the first to go backward). You can't swipe to change Categories at any other time. 

Understood, but in the context of this thread, that was the idea anyhow.

@Joe Tsai To skip ahead 10 or more seconds in a track, why not enable the wave seek bar, or at least the traditional seekbar for quickly scrubbing ahead? These +/-10sec buttons were designed more for long audiobook and podcast type files originally.

36 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Poweramp v2 actually provided up/down gestures for Category changing, but for some reason they didn't make it into v3.

Andre

With my Fiio M11 Pro player this is working.

I can change the category at any time with

- a swipe from left to right

- a click on the >>> screen button

- a double click on the hardware next button

Edited by beat8000

5 hours ago, beat8000 said:

- a swipe from left to right

- a double click on the hardware next button

Left/Right swipes change TRACK, not Category (unless you are on the first or last track, in which case you can do an extra-wide swipe to change Category).

Hardware >> and << buttons usually generate proper MEDIA_BUTTON KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT or KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS events, and PA interprets double-clicks on those keys as Category changes.

Andre

21 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Left/Right swipes change TRACK, not Category (unless you are on the first or last track, in which case you can do an extra-wide swipe to change Category).

Hardware >> and << buttons usually generate proper MEDIA BUTTON NEXT or MEDIA BUTTON PREV key events, and PA interprets double-clicks on those keys as Category changes.

Andre

Hi Andre

I have tested all these cases after the first track and before the last track. I don't know why this two actions are working on my Fiio M11 Pro. Maybe it's because a special combination of settings

Beat

Edited by beat8000

There should be no way to change Categories using any sort of swipe action mid-album/folder/etc on any device. Left or Right swipes only generate the same track-change event as the inner two screen buttons, >> and <<. Believe me, I've tried!

How do you manage to make it happen?

Andre

I don't know, I have switched off nearly every special setting except high resolution and the pro buttons.

I would like to send you my settings export file. This way you could try it yourself 

However my device could also be the reason.

Edited by beat8000

What I was asking is how you physically make it happen while you are on the player screen, there is no setting to enable that functionality. As per design, swiping on album art should only change the TRACK, not the Category - unless you are on the first or last song of the current category, in which can the bounce-stop action can be override by continuing the swipe wider than normal.

Andre

4 hours ago, beat8000 said:

For my tests I did the swiping from the far left edge to the far right edge on the album art and after the first track.

Weird, I know PA is not meant to work like that, and try as hard as I might I can't replicate it. I've tried several skins too.

No matter how far to the left I start a swipe, and continuing all the way off the screen to the right, I always get the next TRACK rather than the next Category (album, folder, etc). Apart from the case of the first or last tracks of a category, which do allow you to move back one category and forward one category, respectively.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Weird, I know PA is not meant to work like that, and try as hard as I might I can't replicate it. I've tried several skins too.

No matter how far to the left I start a swipe, and continuing all the way off the screen to the right, I always get the next TRACK rather than the next Category (album, folder, etc). Apart from the case of the first or last tracks of a category, which do allow you to move back one category and forward one category, respectively.

Andre

This is the same screen behaviour I have on both my LG G8 phone and iBasso DX160 DAP. The full wide screen swipes only work on the first and last category tracks. Further, the DAP has physical play/pause, next, and back buttons that do function including the double tap for next/back that move the category.