Manually install skin?

I would like to install a new skin on a phone that cant install new apps or download anything from the internet (software problems on old phone), so my question is, how do skins work? Are they apps? Or are they files that i could put in the correct folder manually after downloading on my PC? Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They mostly install from the Play Store. There's no reason that free ones couldn't be installed from APK files though, if the author provides them that way.

Poweramp itself won't be able to authenticate its licence without an internet connection though.

Andre

Sorry, i wasn't clear in my question, i cant install apps (androids package installer doesn't work). I also cant download anything from the internet using my phone. Can i get skins as a file or are skins apks (which i cant install)? In regards to play store verification, i paid for the app but since it doesn't have internet anymore i use a workaround i found that keeps it running as trial without stopping after time has run out. Thanks!

As v2 is now a legacy product and no longer supported - it's just being kept around for anyone still running a device with old Android KitKat versions and below that can't run v3 - I doubt you'll find any developers still actively working on their v2 skins. But even so, the normal delivery method is still via the Play Store or APK files.

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

the normal delivery method is still via the Play Store or APK files

You say normal, is there any other method? I want to know if there is any method of getting a skin by downloading a skin file and then putting it in /sdcard/android/com.maxmpwhatever/skins or elsewhere. Is that possible, or are skins by definition apps that work with Poweramp and only work by installing the app either through an apk or from the play store? About v2 being outdated, so what? Wont there still be skins around on the internet? Thank you

5 minutes ago, happy go lucky said:

About v2 being outdated, so what? Wont there still be skins around on the internet?

Yes, but given that they have been obsolete for 6+ years, you would have to accept them on an "as is" basis from the Play Store, and not expect any further development as it's pretty unlikely any dev would want to put further work into them now.

Skins (v2 or v3) can be manually installed from stand-alone APK files, rather than via the Play Store, should the author agree to send you one.

Sadly if your device is unable to install from online stores or from local physical APK files, it's effectively at the end of its useable life as far as new content goes.

Andre

Just read building skins guide. He says "Poweramp detects installed skins (either built as APK or as jar files in appropriate folder on sd card)". That's exactly what i was looking for, jar files can be run by apps without "installing" them. The only thing i need now is somewhere to get hold of such files from, any ideas?

In settings, there is an option of "Poweramp HD skins" and "get more skins", whats the diff? Also out of curiosity, what stops someone from using the apk/jar method

On 8/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, happy go lucky said:

I downloaded  a skin as apk put it in /sdcard/android/com.whatever/skins, renamed it .jar

to use a trial paid skin without it expiring (supposing it works on v3 too?)?

21 hours ago, happy go lucky said:

In settings, there is an option of "Poweramp HD skins" and "get more skins", whats the diff? Also out of curiosity, what stops someone from using the apk/jar method

to use a trial paid skin without it expiring (supposing it works on v3 too?)?