Poweramp can't recognize songs after phone reset

Ashmodeus

Using...

Poweramp build 905-arm64-play Full Version

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Android V. 11

I am a long time user of Poweramp and it has been great. I am using an SD card to store my music files, and it worked with no issues until recently, when I had to remove that SD card for a week. I directed the app library to another folder on the local drive and it was OK. However, when I re-mounted the SD card, I did a full manual rescan and re-entered the library path to the SD card, then I encounter a problem.

Every time I reset my phone, the app can't find my songs or it takes a while to find them, and when it finds the songs the playlist entry isn't the same (for example I am on song 45 out of 851, and when I restart I am suddenly on song 560 of 851). I tried re-installing the app, I tried restoring settings to default, I tried disabling the automatic scan, I tried a lot of other ways, and still, after phone reset the app is not working right - as it used to before.

Any suggestion?

First, please try using the latest version of PA (currently build 911) as earlier versions could still restore old settings from the Google cloud. Or clearing app data will fix that too, so you have a proper fresh start. Scanning of larger music folders has been improved in that version too.

Also check that PA Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned OFF for Android 11, and then re-apply permissions for your Music Folders. You may then need to do a FULL Rescan in Settings > Library.

Early Samsung Android 11 firmware could cause rescans soon after a reboot to fail, but as long as you apply the regular Android updates that should no longer be a problem. If it is still an issue, once you have the library properly scanned, you can turn off the Auto-Scan features in Settings > Library > Scanner, and just do a manual quick rescan whenever you change the contents of your music folders.

Andre

Thanks for the info. After writing my report, I delved into the forum and found some tips like you mentioned here, I did a full data clean of the app, and while doing it I discovered the permission to the storage for the app was DENIED for some reason. Long story short, after doing a complete data reset and reapplying the permission, I restarted the phone, and the everything is working as it used to! 

Glad you're sorted now. I'm guessing it was treating your SD Card as new storage and it wanted you to re-grant permissions.

These aggressive permission handling "features" in recent Androids are only set to get worse too. Google is turning into Apple in the way it is now dictating to users how they should use their own devices. :(

Andre

Hey again, I was too quick to say everything is fine. The problem has repeated itself. I never changed any settings in the "Scan" area before or after, the permission are correct and supposedly it should be fine - however, once again, after a reset of my device, the song library is "not found" and I can't continue where I stopped. 

Also, I upgraded to the latest Beta build 911-arm64-play

Any other advice?

Yes and Yes. Once I turned off the auto scan, I have no songs at all after a reset.

Now I tried disabling just the "System Media Scanner/MTP" option, after one reset it seem to do the trick, but I'll try it again in the coming days.

When you say you have "no songs after a reset", do you mean that the quantity of songs is still listed at the top of the Library settings page (such as "Folders: <nnn>, Playlists: <nn>, Songs: <nnnn>") but that none of your music will actually play, or do you mean that the top Settings>Library line shows as empty ("Folders: 0, Playlists: 0, Songs: 0").

If you are seeing the latter zero items in library situation, even with Auto-scan turned off, then you have a bigger problem of PA's library database not surviving a reboot.

If the former, you might like to try re-formatting your SD Card and copying everything back onto it via a computer, in case Android startup is having trouble accessing the SD Card contents. Might take a little while with a big card, but you'd only have to try it the once.

Andre

I am not quite sure if its the former or latter, but I'll give formatting the card a try.

It's not such a big SD card and I'm talking about 900 songs max.

Like I said, everything was great until the first time I removed the SD card for a week and re-inserted.

BTW, I re-inserted the SD card today just in case.