When tapping to play, pauses and skips at beginning of songs

dustyshot

Ever since last update on Google Play, I turn on my bluetooth headphones, and then tap the play button on headphones, it does a start to play but does a play, pause, play, pause, over and over again for about 10 seconds, then plays normal. It is not my headphones, because it only started after last update. Version 895-905. Using Android 11 on TCL 10L phone. Not sure what to do because this only happen on last update. Oh and I have reconnected bluetooth headphones and still does it. Also, rebooted phone and still does it. I will clear cache and data to see if it fixes it and I will reply here.

Edited by dustyshot

Well, that I did to fix it, did not work. I just went on my walk today, and have not since I typed the other posts, and it started it again. It never did this before last update. I might have to temporarily use another app until it is fixed or deal with annoying pause, play, pause, play at the beginning of hitting play.

You know, scratch all that, and I will put some other in there because I noticed there was more at the same time.

Starting at:

13:34:36.753 PSMediaButtonReceiver

android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON

KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_DOWN

name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301

virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=15489605

isAvrcp flags=0x0 playerState=2

13:34:36.787 PSMediaButtonReceiver

android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON

KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_UP

name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301

virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=15489639

isAvrcp flags=0x0 playerState=2

13:34:37.615 PlayService RESUME

from PSMediaButtonREceiver resumePlaying

13:34:37.615 PlayerService RESUME

from PSMediaButtonReceiver IGNORED

That is in order as that time.

That looks like the BT device sent one PLAY command - or the play button was actually pressed, same result anyway. Subsequent resume commands show as ignored because PA was already playing. Nothing strange there anyway. The next thing would be to send a more detailed log to the developer @maxmp . Just after the issue has occurred, go to PA Settings > Get Support > Send Log > email to gpmaxmpz @ gmail.com. Add a note in the description pointing to this thread if you can, and post here to say you've sent it.

Andre

4 hours ago, maxmp said:

@dustyshot  try to temporarily disable "No DVC for Bluetooth Absolute Volume" option (note that if you have Absolute volume, you have to disable DVC manually then).

If it helps, this means your device firmware doesn't handle volume changes properly.

That option is greyed out on my phone. That is whether I disable absolute volume in Developer options or not.  DVC for bluetooth keeps flickering available and not available over and over again. Guess, I am going to not use Poweramp, because it does not like my Cleer Enduro 100 headphones. Worked fine before last update though.

Edit: I just disabled the disable absolute volume in developer options with headphones turned off, then went back to Poweramp settings after turning headphones back on and now, it says bluetooth DVC not available but not flipping back and forth like it was. So I guess, I am stuck with absolute volume on.

Edit Again: Seems to work fine now with absolute volume now. This is TCL default android 11 OS.

The only problem I have with absolute volume is, every time I turn on headphones it defaults to 70% volume and is pretty loud. So I have to tap button on headphones for one down on volume to make it comfortable to listen to music, that is why I was using the disable absolute volume, because it fixed that. So either have an issue with Poweramp or issue with volume on headphones. Oh well!

Oh, and I forgot to say, that I have disabled all of any settings of DVC on Poweramp. This was before the issue and still set that way.

Edited by dustyshot

Ideally, it's generally best to have DVC enabled in Poweramp - both in its main settings page and the specific Output page for Bluetooth. If you do enable DVC for BT output though, you need to have the 'Developer Options' > 'Disable Absolute Volume' item turned on.

As you have found it works better for you without though, you could solve your initial volume issue by using a task manager app to automatically adjust the BT Volume to a preferred level whenever your BT device connects. I use Bixby Routines (which is factory-installed on my Samsung) to set the BT volume to 100% whenever it connects to my car headunit for example, but a third-party app like Tasker will do very well too.

image.png

Andre

@andrewilley the DVC itself is rarely a problem, but the Absolute volume detection could be. When Absolute volume is enabled, DVC won’t work and should be disabled. 

That behavior is controlled by “No DVC for Absolute Volume” option.

On Android 10 the detection is a few +1/-1 volume changes happening on BT connection first 5s., but if volume is not applied correctly, it may result in the OP issue (though never reproduced by me, so it’s theoretical strictly).

I am just using Absolute Volume. I  am not going to keep dealing with a problem that just takes a long time to get fixed. If I am going to be just told that it is something that is on my end, and it really isn't and never gets anywhere at all, then the point of getting something fixed is pointless. I am tired of support that makes us users look as if we are the problem, and just keep trying many, many, things to do, and nothing ever gets done. I just got done few days ago dropping connection from TCL because they wouldn't fix a issue with the phone I have but is their software, and all they would tell me is to use an app that is no where on the phone or able to install to use to tell them the problem they can't figure out just by me telling them what is going on, and it seems to start being the case here too. So I am probably going to end up dropping this too, and just only use Absolute Volume. I could do what you say, and just keep going in circles over and over again, but I am getting tired of just wasting time that I could use in my life without wasting more on things that could be easily done, without someone thinking I am the one that is making the issue or problem on my end, and making going through hoops. Tired of the runarounds.

Edited by dustyshot

What I don't understand, and I have already mentioned this, but I said this did not happen at all until I updated to latest release, and I did not change anything either but I still have to change settings on the newer version. That just makes no sense at all to me, that I would have to do extra stuff on newer version, when it worked fine before. That also says that it is not my end too but now I have to play with settings, to make it look as if it is my end. I did not change a thing, which means it should work the same as before. What happened to the saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"? Now, it is broken, to where it isn't working the same way as it did.

Edited by dustyshot

I'm not sure whether Max has any TCL phones to test (it is a rather obscure make, from the company that brought us budget Alcatel phones) which will make debugging a problem that only one person has a little difficult. There are always changes in each new app build, and sometimes there can be unexpected knock-on effects even if a particular area of code was not worked on (changes in target Android levels for example). Also other apps can interact differently and Bluetooth stacks are a nightmare that are always changing. Only recently the 'Google' app (the voice assistant tool) broke cabled headset button-press sequences for example, which Max had to code around.

If you are sure this is something that only occurred in the most recent PA build, roll back to a previous one and see if it really is a change in Poweramp or a coincidence. You would need to uninstall first to roll back, so I suggest you export your settings and any internal playlists (if you use them) first. Try it clean without re-importing your settings first.

And if you want to use DVC with Bluetooth, you must turn off the 'Bluetooth Absolute Volume' feature at an Android level. On my Samsung phone, it's in Android Settings > Developer Options > Disable Absolute Volume (need to switch this toggle-control ON). But it can vary by manufacturer's firmware, if it does can you send a screenshot while you Bluetooth device is connected? If you can't do this, try turning DVC off in Poweramp for any Bluetooth outputs.

Did you send the debug log that I suggested to Max in case he can see what your particular device is doing differently from others? PA Settings > Get Support > Send Log > email to gpmaxmpz @ gmail.com .

Andre