Lyrics - small and big improvements/additions

emanresu

- ogg lyrics tags support (.ogg, .flac)

- id3v1 or id3v2 (at least one is not supported)

- timestamped lyrics support (aka .lrc):

no matter Poweramp will add synchronous autoscroll or not (which of course would also be very welcomed), at least should clean up the timestamps and show scrollable static lyrics.

- font size setting (already requested somewhere else)

- THE LYRICS PANEL:

I would love to have an option to automatically show lyrics, And another option to whether show lyrics over album art or totally disable album art so lyrics are shown over black background.

I do not like at all having to go to menu to access lyrics.

I would like lyrics to be integrated in the player interface, so that one can navigate the song and the lyrics simultaneously (i m afraid this has changed in the wrong direction with Poweramp 2.0)

The big addition would be to have the ability to long press on lyrics to select text for copying it to clipboard or export it to a dictionary like Fora Dictionary (they have an api already used by other apps like FBreader).

------------------------------------------------

IMO this is one of the two big areas where Poweramp could improve a lot (the other one is Headset Control)

Hope this comments are useful. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to have an option to automatically show lyrics, And another option to whether show lyrics over album art or totally disable album art so lyrics are shown over black background.

I do not like at all having to go to menu to access lyrics.

Also requesting the automatic lyrics feature back, please!

It may be an useful feature, but unfortunately it can work only with existing/embed lyrics content - i.e. search in internet for lyrics are possible only via plugin/separate popup.

Though, we're working on this anyway, it's mostly legal issue (lyrics is a copyrighted matter), thus, not so quick to implement.

Thanks!

It may be an useful feature, but unfortunately it can work only with existing/embed lyrics content - i.e. search in internet for lyrics are possible only via plugin/separate popup.

Though, we're working on this anyway, it's mostly legal issue (lyrics is a copyrighted matter), thus, not so quick to implement.

Thanks!

Hi man, for legal issue, i think it can be avoid if the end user choose where to download the lyrics.

Also i think this is an important improvement over the existing lyrics plugin.

Because the plugin has a default url to download lyrics, the users in other countries for example China, Japan or somewhere else, can not search and download lyrics for their own languages.

That's why i saw many users requested better lyrics support in this forum before.

Could you please consider this a little bit?

Thanks very much!

Hi man, for legal issue, i think it can be avoid if the end user choose where to download the lyrics.

Also i think this is an important improvement over the existing lyrics plugin.

Because the plugin has a default url to download lyrics, the users in other countries for example China, Japan or somewhere else, can not search and download lyrics for their own languages.

That's why i saw many users requested better lyrics support in this forum before.

Could you please consider this a little bit?

Thanks very much!

Very Good!

• 3 months later...

thanks max for your reply.

I can see why your lyrics commercial partners may not want Poweramp to retrieve lyrics from free online services. And unfortunately, I guess that is exactly what many people is asking to have, since normal people would hate to have to save lyrics to tags.

But there is nothing illegal with saving text to your music files tags. In fact, Poweramp v1 was able to do that the way many users like. So what I am requesting is to extend lyrics support to OGG/FLAC tags, as well as id3v1 + id3v2. Poweramp can show that flac files have on their tags, but for some reason it skips showing the LYRICS field.

Now the other issue is that people want lyrics to be shown automatically. That is pretty straightforward to do with embedded lyrics (as Poweramp v1 was doing), but seems not so easy with commercial lyrics providers.Is it too much to ask that Poweramp can show embedded lyrics automatically and also allow searching for lyrics though commercial lyrics partners (the latter involving starting another app)?

Thanks

Thanks!

thanks max for your reply.

I can see why your lyrics commercial partners may not want Poweramp to retrieve lyrics from free online services. And unfortunately, I guess that is exactly what many people is asking to have, since normal people would hate to have to save lyrics to tags.

But there is nothing illegal with saving text to your music files tags. In fact, Poweramp v1 was able to do that the way many users like. So what I am requesting is to extend lyrics support to OGG/FLAC tags, as well as id3v1 + id3v2. Poweramp can show that flac files have on their tags, but for some reason it skips showing the LYRICS field.

Now the other issue is that people want lyrics to be shown automatically. That is pretty straightforward to do with embedded lyrics (as Poweramp v1 was doing), but seems not so easy with commercial lyrics providers.Is it too much to ask that Poweramp can show embedded lyrics automatically and also allow searching for lyrics though commercial lyrics partners (the latter involving starting another app)?

Thanks

i totally agree. We need FLAC/OGG lyric support, nobody should be using mp3 anymore! An embedded lyrics field is not ilegal. Users can fill it with whatever they want. Showing that field over a dimmed album artwork? still legal. Getting the lyrics automatically from say.. lyricwiki? you get my point ;)

Add the option to auto download missing lyrics (for multiple songs.. heck even all the library), lyrics over lockscreen? and god it will be the best player to be found in many years.

We need FLAC/OGG lyric support, nobody should be using mp3 anymore!

What, apart from everyone you mean? This is an audio player on a phone, I can't see much point in using larger FLAC files on the crappy speakers/earbuds/bluetooth-A2DP that phones generally provide. Fine to support FLAC and even RAW, but it won't be used by the majority of iTunes/Amazon downloaders.

Andre

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Max!

All of my lyrics are in <UNSYNCED LYRICS> tags, and it's really fustrating having to close the old lyric window and then use the menu to open up a new lyric window every time the song changes.

I'm very glad to hear you are working on this.

Please, I want to see my lyrics from ID3 tag just tapping once at the album cover. This worked in this way in older versions, but now I have to open the menu to see the lyrics. I don't like it. It would be interesting refresh the lyrics when the song change too. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1000!!

I woud also LOVE to see lyrics embedded as ID3 tags in m4a files (from iTunes) be displayed in the main music PLAYER window automatically (if they exist) over a dimmed album art or black screen, similar to what the iPhone music player does currently, and NOT as a seperate menu / screen window, and have them change as the song changes. Thiere is obviously NO legal reason that this can't be one (heck, Apple does this), and no other music player does this correctly right now, so it would be a huge selling feature. Apparantly this had already been done in a previous version, so it certainly must be fairly easy to RE-implement it. :)

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the lyrics automatically from say.. lyricwiki? you get my point ;)

I used to be a big contributer to lyricwiki, but they disabled the API back in 2009 whereby external apps could download lyrics and add lyrics to all files in your library in one go. They were forced to do this because of legal issues... You can still do it manually one file at a time, and there are probably alternatives out there for doing it in an automated fashion.

What, apart from everyone you mean? This is an audio player on a phone, I can't see much point in using larger FLAC files on the crappy speakers/earbuds/bluetooth-A2DP that phones generally provide

First of all, you are missing the whole point of the post you know? What I meant to say, was that there are OPEN SOURCE formats that provide better quality than mp3. Sure it's as popular as hell, but that doesn't mean it's better, and it's just nonsense that Porweramp is only supporting lyrics tag in this archaic file type.

Most android phones come with an universal 3.5 mm TRS audio jack by the way, so you can easily upgrade your sound you know? it's up to you to stay with those crappy earbuds of yours.

I think that's the whole point of Poweramp, heck, even Android, being always able to upgrade from stock., and we users should keep that in mind. This ain't no iPhone.

I used to be a big contributer to lyricwiki, but they disabled the API back in 2009 whereby external apps could download lyrics and add lyrics to all files in your library in one go. They were forced to do this because of legal issues... You can still do it manually one file at a time, and there are probably alternatives out there for doing it in an automated fashion.

Interesting, i know some linux apps that can still pull lyrics from there, I think most are open source also, so we might just look at the code and see how they do it ;)

Interesting, i know some linux apps that can still pull lyrics from there, I think most are open source also, so we might just look at the code and see how they do it ;)

They are probably just web scraping, which will work. Before they were forced to kill it lyricWiki had a API (SOAP or REST) which is much more efficient/less error prone method for updating an entire library.

Archived