PA2 on Android 11, missing album art

Hi,

I am another loyal PA2 user, I'm afraid. Been using for many years. I realise one day, maybe soon, I'll have to upgrade to PA3.

So I got a new Galaxy S10 (running Android 11) this week. I used Samsung SmartSwitch to copy apps etc from old S7 running Android 8.

Pleasingly PA2 was copied with all my music and PA2 is running on Android 11.

However SmartSwitch did not copy my album art to the new phone, so the only album art I have is where it is embeded in the music files.

I manually copied the folder /InternalStorage/Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer to the new phone.

It transpires that the files in /InternalStorage/Android/data are not readable by PA2 in Android 11, or any other app for that matter.

Question 1: Is there somewhere else I can copy the album art to in Android 11 that PA2 could read from?

Question 2: If I upgrade to PA3 where can I move the album art to in Android 11 so that it is usable?

Any info gratefully received.

Regards, Ian Walker

As you have correctly stated, PAv2 used the local folder /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/ for its cached data storage, which works fine on all Android versions up to 10. Unfortunately, Android 11 now requires newly-installed apps to only use one specific assigned local name (/Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/, without the underscore). I don't know whether older apps are excused from this rule, but I suspect not from what you have said.

You can still access the contained folders in that area by using a suitable file explorer app - e.g. Solid Explorer - and copy the folders/files over manually, but I suspect that won't help as PAv2 still won't be allowed permission to access them.

If you install PAv3, it will create a permitted folder called /Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/  automatically, and you can copy the old subfolder contents from your old device into that location after installation. Hopefully that should work, but I can't guarantee it as it's not exactly a tested or supported process.

Andre

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the info. I already copied album art files into /Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/  but as you say PA2 could not find.

I've upgraded to PA3 and it found the album art files I had placed in /Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/ and all is working. So after 5 years I am now running v3!

I'm trying to tidy up the files that were copied from my old phone to my new phone.

Would you know if the files /Albums/*.alb, /albumthumbs/* have anything to do with PA2 or PA3?

Regards, Ian

PA does not store any extra files outside of the Android/data/xxx structure. Not even in your music folders. So those files are not PA's.

PA v2 only uses the _com.maxmpz.audioplayer (underscore) folder name, it was never written to use the tighter naming system that Android 11 now insists upon. So unless its older Android target version still allows the original folder name to be created and used on new Android 11 installs, it won't work. 

Andre