Library Lost after reboot.

Don S.

I have an issue when I reboot my Moto G Power which is running Android 11 with my library (1279 folders, 17 playlists, 16570 files) loaded on a SanDisk 512GB Ultra MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card. I lose my queue because my playlist can't find my files and have to do a full re-scan with Power Amp before my library is restored. Power Amp does try to do a quick scan but only finds playlists which I am sure are loaded on the phone storage.

I usually reboot my phone every few weeks or so this has happened over the past few times but I believe it wasn't an issue until recent security patch beginning of June. I know it booted and Power Amp returned fine after original Android 11 update in April  or May.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an issue with some devices and Android 11 variants (mainly Samsung) which did not always mount the storage quickly enough after a reboot, by which time PA has tried to do a scan and found nothing present so it cleared the existing music database. Could this be the same sort of issue? One other thing you should do is to ensure that PA Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned off.

Andre

PA Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned off.  The SD does take a few seconds to load as I see a SD icon in notification bar on boot up. However this has done this previously when I didn't have this problem. I remember reading reviews that complained about the same thing on Google Play and I thought at that time I don't seem to have that problem. It has occurred the last few reboots.

Edited by Don S.

The previous issues were mostly with early Samsung Android 11 ROMs, as far as I know that problem has been resolved now with more recent firmware updates. If you are still experiencing it on your ROM, turn all of PA's Auto Scan features off (in PA Settings > Library > Scanner) and only perform a new scan manually when you have added new content.

Andre

56 minutes ago, Don S. said:

That didn't work still have to do a Full Rescan. I had to turn Auto Scan back on before it would work.

If the scanner is off, then the library info should not change. Is there something preventing your phone from allowing Poweramp to store that library info? Perhaps that would explain the loss of info after a reboot…

1 hour ago, Don S. said:

That didn't work still have to do a Full Rescan. I had to turn Auto Scan back on before it would work.

Once Auto-Scan is off, and you know the SD Card is properly mounted, do a FULL Rescan manually. After that, the library should not get cleared if the music files cannot initially be found on restarting. Of course they may not be able to play immediately after a restart ("Failed to Play" message until the mount is complete and the files are visible), but it won't need another manual scan.  

Andre

Ok I checked my permissions for Power Amp and it had none so I granted access to files and Media. I unmounted my SD card and remounted it took about 18 seconds to mount just to see how long that took....note on reboot it doesn't mount until after I unlock phone. I did a full rescan after turning auto scan off. Still not working. I don't have any kind of third party security or virus software installed. I have Total Commander installed as my only system tool.

So when you do a Full Rescan - after the phone is on and the SD Card mounted - you don't then see anything at all in the Library list, it's completely empty with no songs?

Have you got the correct music folder selected in Settings > Library > Music Folders? And is the same location enabled as 'Grant Access' too? (Remove permissions and do it again from the Music Folders selection menu)

Andre

No when I do the full scan everything is fine until I do a reboot and then I must run another full scan before any of library is found except for playlists. My folders were correctly selected. However, I removed them and re-added them, Power Amp ran a full re-scan. After it was complete the Library was there bit I had to reload my playlist and scroll to the last track I was listening to because the queue was loaded with a different set of files.

See attachments  file folder selections and then library after full re-scan, then library and power amp after reboot Full re-scan required again.

library folder selection.png

after reselection of folders and full scan.png

After Reboot2.png

After Reboot.png

I have those extra directories checked because when I was having issues with Power Amp Album Art and Android Auto I had tried several other apps and a had created playlists which I exported to the music directories. I have since moved them to one on the SD. Music1 on the SD is where my music files are.

Auto scan is off.

Scanner.png

Edited by Don S.
Added details

@Don S. this usually happens when sd card is dying and device does (long) sd card check on each reboot. At this time sd card is not mounted, files not available, Poweramp won’t play them, but still will list them as it doesn’t remove tracks from db for unmounted storages unless user manually hits Full Rescan.

I recommend sd card check for error/backup/reformat on PC.

Poweramp does tend to tax storage systems rather more than some apps do, so a backup & clean reformat of the SD Card definitely won't do any harm even if it seems OK otherwise.

But in this case, when you first start PA you see no songs and no folders in the Library header, even with Auto-Scan turned off. Local device stored files should not be affected at all, and with Auto-Scan off even the SD Card ones should still be shown as a total number of songs - even if the card is completely unmounted. The songs won't play of course, obviously, and you would get a "Failed to Play - Storage Unmounted" message if you tried, but they should still exist in the database.

Andre

Yes all Poweramp settings remain as set except the library. I am waiting for Play Store to update several apps including Poweramp and then I will try the reformat. Updated to build-909-arm64-play [909004-fbdc1b79].

Ok I did my restore which took 4 hours and the same result. I had to re-select my directories again and run a full scan as the reformatted volume was not recognized by Poweramp (storage not Mounted). When every thing was fine I reloaded my Playlist back to my last track and then rebooted same result. Even though I had a SanDisk 128GB SD in my phone for a year without issue through this April when I replaced it with the current SanDisk 512. I thought maybe the new SD was bad as I had read how people reviewed saying they had problems with my 512 on Amazon. Granted at my choice yesterday I ordered a SAMSUNG EVO Select 512GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 and when it came this evening I did the restore to that and it only took 2 hours since I averaged 64 MB/s write speed with the Samsung as apposed to the 34 MB/s with the SanDisk. After backup completed I booted with the Samsung. I had to re-select my directories and run a full scan for this new volume which completed everything was fine I loaded my playlist and return to my last track which was 189 of 3034. Rebooted and same result on the brand new SD. Let alone I spend cash for a new albeit faster SD and went through 7 plus hours of restores/re-scans etc. I appreciate the help but feeling my wheels spinning. Where does Poweramp write its database? Can we check it? Could this be a Moto Android 11 rom issue?

4 hours ago, Don S. said:

Could this be a Moto Android 11 rom issue?

That's certainly a possibility, maybe an update has happened recently? You mention you had a 128GB card in the device before, which worked fine. Could you try putting that back in and seeing if that helps? Just a thought anyway. Whenever you are putting a new card in, you are going through the Android Grant Access process that I mentioned earlier aren't you?

I assume you've tried the obvious uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and also clearing app data from Android Settings in case Google is restoring something from the cloud?

The database is not stored anywhere that you can access, but if your other settings (output modes, display choices, etc) are getting saved correctly and surviving a reboot, then the music database should also be saved the same way. Even if the SD Card is completely missing on startup, the previously-scanned Library database song list should remain visible in the lists until you ask PA to rescan (or it does an auto-scan). Obviously with no card present, the songs can't play, but they should still be visible.

To test this, try going into PA and doing a Full Scan, then exit/close the app and unmount the SD Card via your Android Storage Settings. Then launch PA again (without doing a full device reboot) and you should still see the full list of songs in the Library, and you'll see "Failed to Play - Storage unmounted" if you try to play one.  

Andre

Ok... I followed your link for the Android grant access, I reapplied the folders. Still not working. I did an a clear cache and data then did an uninstall, did not check save data associated with app. When I reinstall the library still shows up I have to do a full scan in order to use it. And all my settings are still there. The reinstall had the same result. That 128 SD has been reformatted and used elsewhere. Android 11 was pushed sometime in May and security applied June 1.

version.png

• 2 months later...

I have this exact same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. It's super frustrating because it takes forever for the library to rebuild after a reboot or system update. I have tried all the steps listed in this thread and none of them help. This feels like some sort of bug with Poweramp to me. What can I provide to help pin point the root cause?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, andrewilley said:

Turn Auto Update off (in PA Settings > Library > Scanner) and as long as the update hasn't broken any permissions, PA should continue to operate with its existing library database.

Andre

Thanks for that. Just following up that this workaround did stop the "slow forced rebuild after an update" but at the cost of having to rescan your library manually for any changes or music added. This capability used to work fine before for me and other users in this thread, so I would imagine there was some sort of change at the OS level that Poweramp is currently not handling properly which prevents the Auto Update feature from working as expected.

What can I do to help move this from a workaround to a solution that keeps Auto Update working?

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with PA losing Library info and having to manually rescan every time I restart my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.  I was having a similar problem with Locus Map Pro navigation app where I lost the ability to load maps that I had stored on my SD card.  Locus explained that due to system changes in Android, I was no longer able to load maps that I had stored on my microSD card, and had to install a third party file manager (Total Commander and X-plor were tried) in order to see folders that were once accessible with the built in File Manager and had to make adjustments in the storage location of my maps.  Locus Maps explained that in this post on their site.  Maybe those Android system changes are also responsible for the problems we're having with PA?