Poweramp Equalizer builds 899-908

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.equalizer

Changes:

• new Parametric Equalizer Mode
    • available for Premium
    • initially empty, bands added/removed/organized by user
    • configurable parameters allow high level of sound customization with just a few bands
    • band parameters:
      • type
        • Low Pass/High Pass - passes the signal starting from the defined frequency, resonant with higher Q factor
        • Low Shelf/High Shelf - similar to Low Pass/High Pass with a flatter frequency response
        • Band Pass - passes the signal around user defined frequency
        • Peaking Band - narrower version of the Band Pass
      • channels - applies band to the left, right, or both channels
      • gain - the amplification of the band, may be negative
      • frequency - the center/cutoff point of the band
      • Q - bandwidth and the resulting frequency response curve for the band
    • bands have user configurable background color for easier identification
    • parametric presets are separate from the graphic ones
    • parametric mode has Auto save always enabled, changes are auto saved to the currently selected preset
    • <Default preset> (the implicit preset which is used when no preset selected) is visible in the preset list, but can\'t be deleted/renamed
  • new Bands Overlap option
    • two modes: Envelope (default) and Cascade
    • Smooth Equalizer/Tone Gains option (enabled by default) limits overload for the overlapped bands
  • presets now always have tone (Bass/Treble) stored in them
    • built-in presets may also have tone values - usually at 0
    • few tone-only presets added
  • new Poweramp WebADB tool
    • works in Chrome browser on PC or on other Android phone
    • open WebADB on the other usb connected PC/Android device to unlock ADB functionality on this device with the Equalizer installed
  • knob values can be edited via long press
  • preset sharing/import/export via long press in preset list
    Presets saved/loaded in JSON format
  • presets also can be imported by opening via file manager
  • both Equalizer .pa-eq-preset and AutoEQ .txt files are supported
    AutoEQ graphic and parametric formats supported and imported to the graphic or parametric presets appropriately.
    Equalizer adds +6dB to AutoEQ graphic gains
  • new Rounded option for Equalizer Screen Spectrum
  • spectrum (bars) visualizations are rendered in higher quality (screen resolution)
  • support for spectrum bar peaks visualization
  • new Settings Font option
  • new option switchers in Settings
  • improved player detection in the Advanced Player Tracking mode
  • bug fixes and stability improvements
  • translations updates, huge thanks to our Crowdin translators

The parametric mode will be ported to Poweramp player. Supporting Equalizer by purchasing premium supports further Poweramp player development.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, maxmp said:
  • Presets saved/loaded in JSON format

Excellent, thanks. This is a commonly requested feature for the main PA app too, for sharing personalised EQ adjustments, so presumably the intention is to allow both apps to exchange specific EQ presets via JSON files?

Speaking of requests, would it be possible to add a little bit of extra code to the Preset > Import module to parse the simple .txt file formats used by the AutoEQ project (three basic formats: fixed-band, graphic, and parametric).

And on a related note., I wonder if the Presets feature might be more useful if it showed both graphic AND parametric presets in one longer list? This would allow people to switch between the two modes directly from the EQ page, just by clicking on a preset name, rather than having to first go into Settings > Equalizer >Mode and change the master setting in there. Same with the number of bands: if someone has saved a graphic preset utilising 32 bands, selecting that preset again should re-enable 32-band mode even if the current setting is for 10 bands.

Andre

@John Titor this is where it becomes complicated. First, Equalizer actually uses the user entered value for calculations, but it’s currently displays rounded value. 

Still, there is no 1-herz resolution anyway, as the resulting filter is Fast Fourier-based frequency domain filter, where you get set of frequencies to process (and thus minimal resolution) = sample rate/ window size in samples/ 2. Equalizer still approximates the resulting curve around the target frequency.

Additionally, in the frequency domain, there are not exact frequencies, instead there are frequencies from 0.0 (DC) to 1.0 (sample rate). Due to all this math, scale conversion, and rounding you see the result you see. 

I'll try to keep the entered values as is though for the next builds for equalizer. For Poweramp player it will be a bit easier as it does equalization in time domain, thus exact frequency values are used.

13 hours ago, maxmp said:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.equalizer

Changes:

• new Parametric Equalizer Mode
    • available for Premium
    • initially empty, bands added/removed/organized by user
    • configurable parameters allow high level of sound customization with just a few bands
    • band parameters are type, channels, gain, frequency, Q-factor (bandwidth/curve), color
    • parametric presets are separate from the graphic ones
    • parametric mode has Auto save always enabled, changes are auto saved to the currently selected preset
    • <Default preset> (the implicit preset which is used when no preset selected) is visible in the preset list, but can\'t be deleted/renamed
  • new Bands Overlap option
    • two modes: Envelope (default) and Cascade
    • Smooth Equalizer/Tone Gains option (enabled by default) limits overload for the overlapped bands
  • presets now always have tone (Bass/Treble) stored in them
    • built-in presets may also have tone values - usually at 0
    • few tone-only presets added
  • new Poweramp WebADB tool
    • works in Chrome browser on PC or on other Android phone
    • open WebADB on the other usb connected PC/Android device to unlock ADB functionality on this device with the Equalizer installed
  • knob values can be edited via long press
    Presets saved/loaded in JSON format
  • new Rounded option for Equalizer Screen Spectrum
  • spectrum (bars) visualizations are rendered in higher quality (screen resolution)
  • new Settings Font option
  • new option switchers in Settings
  • improved player detection in the Advanced Player Tracking mode
  • bug fixes and stability improvements
  • translations updates, huge thanks to our Crowdin translators

The parametric mode will be ported to Poweramp player. Supporting Equalizer by purchasing premium supports further Poweramp player development.

Good job but still dosnt work on ATV device ( TiviMate apk ).Is there any solution?

Edited by brenas25

By the way, clicking on bands: 2 parametric just leads to a band selection page for the graphic equalizer, which doesn't work with parametric EQ mode.

IMG_20210629_215059.thumb.jpg.d0e06e54e74c775576668542e08b2f76.jpg

And can we have a graphical representation mode for the EQ presets? The current one on the preset page is a bit small, just a suggestion :)

1321403451_SamsungGalaxyBudsPro.thumb.png.438f6b2f575302ffccbf786dbd3439b8.png

Edited by John Titor

47 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@marcosh_ar the graphic mode presets are still there, but they are not compatible with (thus, not visible in) the parametric mode and vice versa. Also sorting changed (previously user created presets could pop up on top, now all of the properly sorted by the name).

First screenshot are from Poweramp, the second one are from PEQ, most preset are gone after the import. No parametric mode enabled

Screenshot_20210629-135316_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210629-135259_Gallery.jpg

@andrewilley I guess support for auto ex fixed + parametric formats can be added quickly, but it won't be user friendly for this series of builds anyway, as autoeq text file should be separately found, downloaded, may be renamed and imported into Equalizer. 

There are plans to add AutoEq database directly to Equalizer.

@marcosh_ar I can't reproduce this issue - also there is no code which deletes presets on update, so may be they just invisible for some reason. If you have settings backup from previous version of the equalizer, I can try to reproduce it with your data (gpmaxmpz@gmail.com). Thanks!

@maxmp same issue with the EQ presets as a @marcosh_ar, after the update, all my custom presets are gone and import from backup doesn't add them back. And one issue more, no option to associate EQ preset to the specific device. Android 11 (MIUI 12.5.1 EU). I will send you my EQ backup by mail.

Edit: backup of EQ sent and in separate e-mail also a log from the latest build

Edited by Ghouless
Additional info

Build 907:

AutoEQ graphic and parametric formats supported and imported to the graphic or parametric presets appropriately.
  • improved manual value entry for the frequency
  • fixed issues as reported - thanks for the testing!

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Build 907:

Thanks for the fix! Now works flawlessly

Plus it seems like PEQ no longer saves last processed commands log. I am using headphone buttons and they are working perfectly with YouTube and Spotify but there's no log! It's always empty.

IMG_20210630_102046.jpg

It works flawlessly with PA v 905 though.

Edited by John Titor

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

Build 907:

Thx for the hotfix, now it works again. One question - I found, that on Android 11, when DVC is on, some BT devices reacts to changes in EQ, some not (for example, WF-1000XM3, XB-650BT yes, my car SKODA Scala with MIB, no difference if BT or AA, not). I think it's according to the Android version, because on Android 10 with the same build (893 & 906), it worked, on Android 11 it acts as descripted above.

Not tested on the latest 907 build, will edit my post after some research.

And one hint, will be possible to give PEQ same function for DVC as in music player - DVC on/off for the specific device? This is last function, that I miss, because some devices are not able to handle wider sound ratio and need to switch it if off manually.

Anyway, great work @maxmp

7 hours ago, maxmp said:

Any thoughts on my suggestion of merging these two lists? It seems really counter-intuitive to have two separate sets of presets, and it would be easy enough for the app switch to the correct mode upon selection of a new preset. Maybe annotate 'graphic' or 'parametric' items with a small icon next to each preset in the list?

Andre

Awesome!

Maxim, have a nice day! Just now I noticed: when you press the button to select the visualization display, the tooltip does not allow you to immediately switch to another mode, overlapping the button. To hit the button is surprisingly problematic, as if the interaction area of the hint is larger than itself.

Note 10+ if that changes anything.

Как-то так

907158407_Screenshot_20210630-111628_PowerampEqualizer.thumb.jpg.6ce9b0478a2f8aea08084590bed519b2.jpg

By the way, is peak display enabled by default?

8 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@Aller2TeaM the popup can be dragged away by swipe, but I will try to adjust it as well. Not sure what is the "peak".

Thanks, got it, what about peak I mean

On 6/29/2021 at 5:34 AM, maxmp said:

Edited by Aller2TeaM