Auto Resume in Android Auto

stevewilson

When I connect my phone to Android Auto in my car, Poweramp DOES start, but it starts off paused.  It's not a big deal to navigate away from the maps (which for some reason are always the default), but it's a little annoying to have that extra step   I've tried other media players and that doesn't happen.  I'm sure it's a setting (or combination of settings) that I haven't found.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks

Most Android Auto implementations (but not all) use Bluetooth to transfer the audio, so Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Resume on Bluetooth should do it.

There is also Settings > Audio > Audio Focus > Resume on Start, but that would commence playback every time the app is started - either via Android Auto or manually.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, andrewilley said:

Unless your device is maybe sending a stop command to prevent auto-playback? Check Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands a short time after connecting your phone to the car head-unit.

Andre

The output was:

Screenshot_20210623-085836_Poweramp.jpg

That command sequence is your remote device (head unit) saying that a PLAY button has been clicked (press and release events in quick succession). That pattern has been interpreted as a toggle playback event (so play or pause) by Poweramp, which seems a bit strange as that usually happens after either a proper PLAY_PAUSE event, or just a simple PAUSE (which a lot of devices use interchangeably) and I would have expected an actual specific PLAY event to be honoured as such.

Andre

@stevewilson If PA is already playing and it receives a button event for KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY, it should technically just ignore it and carry on playing. If PA is not playing when it sees that event, it should start playing.

However according to that log, it might be that PA is treating the PLAY as if a play/pause button had been pressed. Many devices don't issue correct PLAY, PAUSE and PLAY_PAUSE (toggle) events - for example sending PAUSE when they mean PLAY_PAUSE - so PA might be trying to interpret it as best it can.

Andre

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with AA and PA. When I disconnect my phone from the usb wire (AA) in the car, PA was playing music. Then when I reconnect the usb wire (AA) in the car, AA connects and I hear the music for 1 sec and the music pauses.

Last Processed Commands:

==================

19:52:45.041 BTReceiver headset event

connection BT=true am mode=0 Kia

==================

19:52:45.116 PlayerService onRoutingChanged

newDevice=bt oldDevice=speaker

==================

19:52:45.116 PlayerService reloadPipeline

allowPlaying=true forceResume=false state after reload=2

==================

19:52:47.169 PSMediaSessionHelper.Callback onPlay

com.google.android.projection.gearhead

==================

19:52:48.249 BTReceiver headset event

disconnection BT=true am mode=0 Kia no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false

==================

19:52:48.249 BTReceiver cmd_player_pause_playing

==================

19:52:51.574 PlayerService onRoutingChanged

newDevice=speaker oldDevice=bt

==================

19:52:51.574 PlayerService reloadPipeline

allowPlaying=false forceResume=false state after reload=2

It could be a clash of commands or settings (there are resume-playback features in both AA and PA). Some devices generate button events such as MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE (which is a toggle command) instead of clear discrete MEDIA_PLAY and MEDIA_PAUSE events, but in the above case no button events are being created.

Andre

I have no idea what causes it, but I'm sure it IS a clash of commands, but it's a clash that's occurring only with PA.  I've used PA for many years, but I got frustrated enough to try several other players.  Not one of them had any issue in this regard.  But not one of them measured up to PA in any way, so I came back and figured out a solution to the frustration.

Steve