Headset skipping/previous track button combos problems when phone is locked

dws_nz

20 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Thanks for the info. You forgot to mention your device & Android version details in your post, which might help.

Andre

Ah right, my device is Motorola Moto E7 Plus with almost clean Android 10

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem since mid-May and I have the Poweramp fully paid version.

Android 10. LG 8x ThinQ.

Button works fine with other players that I tested. Everything was fine before May 12th.

Please find a solution! It's been more than 1 month now. And it's really annoying!

@maxmp Are the timecodes shown in the commands list generated by PA as it receives them, or are the timestamps included within the event details actually issued by Android? Somehow the latest versions of PA seem to be receiving them delayed anyway, and as it's suddenly happening across several Android versions and models it seems unlikely to be a change in Android. 

Andre

I'm havving the same issue with 905 build in my Samsung M31 android 10 with phone locked wired headset button doesn't work properly, sometimes has a huge delay or make a wrong action instead play next track it pauses or do nothing.

Double click with PA fronted.

==================
22:29:15.202 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_HEADSETHOOK ACTION_DOWN name=Exynos9610-Audio Headset Jack source=0x101 sources=0x80000101 virt=false repeat=0 actionTime=997865 flags=0x8 playerState=2
==================
22:29:15.223 PlayerService RESUME
from PSMediaButtonReceiver resumePlaying
==================
22:29:15.289 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_HEADSETHOOK ACTION_UP name=Exynos9610-Audio Headset Jack source=0x101 sources=0x80000101 virt=false repeat=0 actionTime=997968 flags=0x8 playerState=1
==================
22:29:15.475 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_HEADSETHOOK ACTION_DOWN name=Exynos9610-Audio Headset Jack source=0x101 sources=0x80000101 virt=false repeat=0 actionTime=998153 flags=0x8 playerState=1
==================
22:29:15.520 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_HEADSETHOOK ACTION_UP name=Exynos9610-Audio Headset Jack source=0x101 sources=0x80000101 virt=false repeat=0 actionTime=998196 flags=0x8 playerState=1
==================
22:29:16.144 PlayerService NEXT
from PSMediaButtonReceiver

Double click with phone locked do nothing

==================
22:29:54.210 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1036900 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:29:54.213 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1036903 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:29:54.216 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1036905 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:29:54.218 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1036908 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2

Double click with phone locked it resumes

==================
22:30:54.192 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1096882 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:30:54.195 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1096886 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:30:54.199 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1096889 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:30:54.201 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1096891 flags=0x40000000 playerState=2
==================
22:30:54.209 PlayerService NEXT
==================
22:30:54.319 PlayerService RESUME
from PSMediaButtonReceiver resumePlaying

Double click with phone locked do nothing, double click again changes track and pauses

==================
22:33:13.561 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1236251 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:13.563 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1236253 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:13.566 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1236255 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:13.567 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1236258 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:16.453 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1239143 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:16.455 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1239145 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:16.460 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_DOWN name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1239150 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:16.463 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY ACTION_UP name=Virtual source=0x0 sources=0x301 virt=true repeat=0 actionTime=1239153 flags=0x40000000 playerState=1
==================
22:33:16.472 PlayerService NEXT
==================
22:33:17.068 PlayerService TOGGLE_PLAY_PAUSE
from PSMediaButtonReceiver pausePlaying

Hi. I have a Moto g9 plus with android 10 and PA 905 .I had the same issue. It started aproximately one week ago. The first thing i tried was uninstall Poweramp and reinstall an older version (904). It didn’t solve the problem. 
Next i looked for any app that updated aproximately the same day that this problem started and found that google was updated that day. So i uninstalled google updates and voilá. No more issues with commands (wired, two taps for next song, three for previous).

Hope this help other users and also devs to find the cause of the problem and solve it.

Sorry for my poor english. It is not my native language.

Matias

6 hours ago, Mghigu said:

Next i looked for any app that updated aproximately the same day that this problem started and found that google was updated that day. So i uninstalled google updates and voilá. No more issues with commands (wired, two taps for next song, three for previous).

I've just tried the same, and I can confirm this result. Rolling the 'Google' app (Assistant/etc) back to its factory installed version cures the headset button response issue. Leaving that as a two-year-old version is not a good long-term solution though of course.

I received another update to the Google app a couple of days ago (21 June) but that still exhibits the same bug.

@maxmp not sure if you can work around this, or if you need to raise it as a bug with the Google devs. They must have changed something in their button handling code for the app's headset-button voice command trigger. 

Andre

A workaround, maybe. But not a solution, and not just Google's problem, based on the fact that every other app works normally as far as the clicks are concerned, but only PA doesn't. If it were only Google/Android, none of these apps would work either. 

On 6/30/2021 at 5:24 PM, gmandese said:

A workaround, maybe. But not a solution, and not just Google's problem, based on the fact that every other app works normally as far as the clicks are concerned, but only PA doesn't. If it were only Google/Android, none of these apps would work either. 

Yep, that's true!

Don't know why PA don't investigate this more closely. 

It will blow up in their faces at some point.

6 hours ago, MC2021 said:

Don't know why PA don't investigate this more closely. 

I think @maxmp has been focused on the work on the parametric equalizer recently, so he hasn't had much of a chance to check some of the other minor issues reported in the forums. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to looking into this sort of thing soon, as rolling back the Google app to factory settings is not an ideal solution.

Andre

Hi, i just found somthing new. Apparently the issues are related to the voice assistant. 

Today i updated google and the command problems returned. Then i went to settings, google, google apps settings, google assistan, devices, wired headphones, and disabled it.

Now the commands work fine without uninstall the google updates.

Again, not a definitive solution, but better than the previous.

I hope devs can work on this. 

2 hours ago, Mghigu said:

Hi, i just found somthing new. Apparently the issues are related to the voice assistant. 

Today i updated google and the command problems returned. Then i went to settings, google, google apps settings, google assistan, devices, wired headphones, and disabled it.

Yes, that's the basically same underlying Google app that we've been discussing, so it would make sense that disabling its access to the wired headset buttons would probably correct the issue too.

The first reports of this bug were at the start of May, so I've gone back and found the last version of the Google app from April and that seems to work fine, so rolling back to that version is another option. You'll need to uninstall the current Play Store updates for the 'Google' app first, then install a version of com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox for your device. I chose 27 April, build 12.15.10.23, see https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-search/google-search-12-15-10-release/ .

Later versions might be OK too, but that seems a sensible place to start; you can update without uninstalling, but not roll back over a newer installation. The most recent build (1 July, 12.25.7.23) still seems broken,

Andre

Just chiming in to say I have the same problem. When Poweramp is running in the background with the phone locked, double and triple clicks register only as single clicks. So all I can do is stop or start playback; I cannot change tracks. When the phone is unlocked, all the clicks work fine. I have a Samsung Galaxy A51 running Android 11. I cannot recall if the problem started after updating Poweramp or after the latest Android update. But it started fairly recently. It was fine before.

I have this problem too. As soon as the screen locks, my wired headset can only play or pause, not skip tracks. Very annoying. I'm running paid version of Poweramp on Android 11, phone is Poco F2 Pro.

1 hour ago, Hagman said:

I have this problem too. As soon as the screen locks, my wired headset can only play or pause, not skip tracks.

Disable the 'Google' app for now to fix this problem.

Or, if you still need its functionality, uninstall its updates in order to roll it back to factory installed version on your device and you can then update it manually to a build from somewhere around the end of April, which is before it started causing this bug. I chose the 27 April 2021 build, 12.15.10.23, which seems to work fine. You can download that from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-search/google-search-12-15-10-release/ .

@maxmp Any news on whether you can work around this problem by re-coding anything from the Poweramp side? Or have you logged it with Google as a bug in their app, now that the cause has been identified?

Andre

I rolled back Google, to the APK Mirror version listed. BUT... Google keeps updating by itself, even though I have automatic updates disabled in the play store, and I can't figure out how to stop it from updating. I won't disable an important part of my system for headphone clicks, so the workaround works for about half an hour at best until the Google app updates itself. This still needs to be fixed. As for calling this a minor issue, it has kept me from using PA for a couple of months. I'm now using Black player ex. The headphones work as advertised with this app, regardless of the Google version. IMO, this is more important than the Equalizer, if users are jumping ship for other apps that work correctly.

Edit: I should mention I tried the rollback 3 times, with the same result. 

Edited by gmandese
Add info

@gmandese Yes, the same has happened to me too. I turned Auto-updates off for the Google app, but the Play Store has still updated it to the current build regardless of what I told it to do. :( Since this does not seem to impact other audio players, there must presumably be a way to code around whatever Google have done. In the meantime, the volume-key long-press hack is also a partial solution.

Andre

I just had a reply back about my review re the Google app auto-update:

Thanks for your review, Andre. On occasion we automatically update Google app versions when it is critical to performance and stability, or to the security of your device. Apologies if this caused any inconvenience.

The irony is, it's actually their forced update that is the thing breaking performance and stability. :(

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reports.

This is improved in the next beta (single/double/triple clicks handled ok in background now), but as now Google assistant always handles headset clicks while player is on the background (and commands come out of order, up then down, in middle of other key clicks, etc - that why it failed before) , it behaves a bit different vs when clicks handled when player is on foreground, though difference is minor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

since more or less on month my wired headset doesn't work at all with Poweramp.

Do you have more informations for the bug with the google app ?

when i plug in my headset and try to move to the next track or stop or whatever, nothing appear in the "last processed commands"

Thanks.