Delete record vs delete song

CapH
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Hello,

In version 905 and when trying to delete a song while playing it I noticed I've started getting this message (translated from my language):

"Delete the record? Chosen records will be deleted. Song file will not be deleted."

This is in contrast to what I used and want to get which is the message whether to delete the song track and saying the .cue file will not be deleted.

I must have changed something in the settings but can't find exactly what it was.

Appreciate any help.

3 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Is this in a playlist? If so, the question is asked to confirm to remove the track from just the playlist, or to confirm deleting the actual file.

Thanks, I see what you mean.

Well, the situation is all of the songs are in 3 folders but I'm playing only one folder from which I want to delete songs on the fly.

So I go to the 'Library' list, 'Folders(directories) hierarchy' and choose this one folder to be 'played next in the queue'.

I guess that makes the folder's songs a playlist?

So is there a way to play only this folder's songs and not make it a playlist?

I could choose only this folder to be scanned in PA but I need the other 2 folders to be present too and don't want to rescan them each time which takes a long time.

I'd prefer if there is another way.

Edited by CapH

Yes, the Queue is a type of Playlist, albeit a temporary one.

It's possible that the translation you are seeing for the 'Delete' prompt is a bit misleading. The original text when you try to remove a song from any kind of Playlist uses the word 'entry' rather than 'record', and it offers the choice of just removing the song entry from the currently playing list only, or optionally also deleting the physical song file from storage too (in your case, you'd select the latter option to delete the actual file):

Delete Entry?
    Selected entry will be deleted. Song file won't be deleted
    [Cancel]  [Delete]  [Delete Files]

In contrast, if you try to delete a song while listening to a regular category playback, it will only offer to delete the physical song file from storage:

Delete song?
    Selected song will be deleted permanently from the storage. CUE won't be removed
    [Cancel]  [Delete]

The message about CUE files is only relevant if you are listening to a song that doesn't have an individual audio file of its own, but was formed based on a CUE which creates a number of different tracks based on different segments of a single audio file.

Andre

• Solution
2 hours ago, CapH said:

So I go to the 'Library' list, 'Folders(directories) hierarchy' and choose this one folder to be 'played next in the queue'.

I guess that makes the folder's songs a playlist?

So is there a way to play only this folder's songs and not make it a playlist?

Sure, just go into the folder that you want to play and tap the 'Play' icon at the top of the song list. That will start the folder playing from the first song.

What happens at the end of the folder depends on how you have set the 'Repeat' icon in the player screen. If you have it set to 'Off', playback will simply stop at the end of the current folder. If you have it set to 'Advance Category' then playback will continue on to the next folder, and so on through your whole library if you let it. 'Repeat Category' will restart the current folder from the beginning again, indefinitely. 

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Sure, just go into the folder that you want to play and tap the 'Play' icon at the top of the song list. That will start the folder playing from the first song.

Andre

Thanks, Andre, that worked just fine :)

Should have seen it myself but appreciate the quick response and the detailed explanation in both threads 👍

I'm reopening the case :)

Hope it gets noticed inspite this thread being marked as solved.

Well, it seems it's not working as I expected.

The problem again is playing all songs randomly from a specific hierarchy with many sub foldres.

If I have X,Y,Z such hierarchies I want to play just the Y's songs randomly

and when trying to delete a song on the fly, to get the option to delete the track itself and not the option to delete the entry.

So, as Aandre said if I "go into the folder that you want to play and tap the 'Play' icon at the top of the song list. That will start the folder playing from the first song.", and tap any of the the "Shuffle"(random) icon in the main screen I'm not getting any option for just the songs in the Y hierarchy.

If instead of tapping the "Play" icon I tap the "Shuffle" one next to the "Play", I do get playing randomly just the songs in the Y hierarchy but as soon I delete a song, after a few more song changes, the shuffle becomes one of the Y's folders and not that of the Y hierarchy.

So, still looking to maintain the Y hierarchy shuffle while being able to delete songs on the fly.

Thanks.

Edited by CapH

Tapping the Shuffle icon on the player screen simply cycles through the basic shuffle modes - All Songs, songs in current category (i.e. current folder), etc. It does not know anything about any previously nested folder playback settings. Nested sub-folder shuffling only works when starting from the Shuffle icon at the top of the library views, with the default behaviour being to play each subfolder in turn, with each of the song lists shuffled. This can be modified to shuffle from any of the songs in any subfolders by using Settings > Library > Lists > Shuffle All Songs in Folder Hierarchy.

If you simply delete a song during shuffled playback, it should not trigger a reshuffle of the order -  but you can see if it does by keeping an eye on the track counter in the middle of the row of control icons. If it is showing (for example) 6/22, and when you delete a song it then shows 1/21, the shuffle sequence has been reset. If it stays at 6/21 then the exiting shuffle order will continue.  

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Tapping the Shuffle icon on the player screen simply cycles through the basic modes - All Songs, songs in current category (i.e. current folder), etc. It does not know anything about previously nested folders playback. Nested sub-folder shuffling only works when using the Shuffle icon at the top of the library views, with the default behaviour being to play each subfolder in turn, with each of their song lists shuffled. This can be modified to shuffle any songs from any subfolders by using Settings > Library > Lists > Shuffle All Songs in Folder Hierarchy.

Andre

Thanks, I've already had the "Shuffle All Songs in Folder Hierarchy" option on all along.

So, If I understand correctly what I seek which is playing randomly a specific hierarchy's songs while deleting tracks on the fly with this option:

Delete song?
    Selected song will be deleted permanently from the storage. CUE won't be removed
    [Cancel]  [Delete]

is not supported?

As I said before, the shuffle state of just a specific hierarchy's songs IS maintained as long as I don't delete any track.

If I do that then the shuffle of the whole hierarchy's switches to one of the hierarchy's subfolders shuffle, for some reason.

Edited by CapH

If you are playing in a 'special temporary list' shuffle order - for want of a better phrase (where a temporary internal order has been built up covering all the songs in several subfolders anyway) then deleting a track appears to destroy the temporary structure of that list. Playback continues with the song which would have been played next in that sequence, but it is now playing in regular 'Shuffle Songs' mode, meaning that you will hear the whole subfolder (songs shuffled), then the next subfolder in order (also shuffled), etc. You can see that in the way the track counter jumps.

It's a bit of a bizarre convoluted set of circumstances, maybe Max can code around it to allow the rest of a shuffled songs sequence to continue playing as before when a song in the sequence gets deleted?

Andre 

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

It's a bit of a bizarre convoluted set of circumstances, maybe Max can code around it to allow the rest of a shuffled songs sequence to continue playing as before when a song in the sequence gets deleted?

Andre 

Thanks for all your help 👍

I share your hope 🙏