New phone, new Poweramp problems

pablo555

Poweramp worked brilliantly for last 5 years with data on SD card in a Samsung. Just got new Google pixel phone with no SD card so Poweramp data inc library and playlists etc where transferred to new phones HD. Both Poweramp apps (why does it still need Poweramp AND Poweramp fuller version unlocker ?) were transferred across. 
Poweramp still works fine in old phone but not in new one. 

Will all my data settings, playlists etc be deleted if I just delete and re-install Poweramp from new phone on playstore or will it all be saved somehow by Poweramp as I dont want to lose my playlist settings etc although they are of course still on the old SD card in the old phone ?

Any suggestions would be most grateful.

Thanks

Jamie

How did you "transfer Poweramp to new phone" ? Did Google do it for you, or did you use some transfer program? I would suggest a clean install on a new device anyway (or clear app data) as lots of the internal adjustments may need to be different. The unlocker is needed to - well, unlock Poweramp - otherwise you will only have the trial version accessible for a couple of weeks.

You can backup your existing user-defined settings with PA Settings > Export Settings, and reimport them again using the matching 'Import Settings' feature on the new installation.

Playlists that were file-based on your old device will be fine if you simply copy the same .M3U/.M3U8 files over to your new storage. If the playlists were created internally in PA, use PA Settings > Library > Playlists > Export Poweramp Playlists first, to save them to storage as .M3U8 files, and then copy those files to the new device.

If you have any created any star or thumb ratings, those are exported along with songs in Playlists by the way. Make sure you have PA Settings > Library > Playlists > Import Ratings enabled on the new device. If you want to ensure all ratings in your whole library are copied over, create a dummy playlist containing every song in the All Songs list and export it. Then when that big list is scanned on the new device, all the ratings will get updated too. 

Andre

Hi Andre

Thanks for coming back to me. Google engineer did it for me in store linking old and new phones via wi-fi connection. Since I last posted I discovered the missing 24GB (ie all my Poweramp music files etc) on my new Google Pixel phone stored in a google folder called 'Audio' despite Poweramp displaying 'doesn't look like anything to me'.
I then ran a full Rescan on Poweramp with wi-fi connected but it failed to locate the items in the folder.

Will trying to Rescan to find the files help or should I just delete and re-install like you suggested ?
Will Play Store remember that I am already a payed-up subscriber ?
Will all my existing settings/playlists get automatically re-imported as they were on old phone ?

Thanks for your advice

Jamie

Go into PA Settings > Library > Music Folders and ensure that the folder which contains your audio is ticked. May need to revoke and re-grant storage permissions for Android 11.

Also it needs to be in an accessible location (e.g. /Music/ ) rather than hidden somewhere like /Android/data/

Andre

1 hour ago, pablo555 said:

...on my new Google Pixel phone stored in a google folder called 'Audio' despite Poweramp displaying 'doesn't look like anything to me'...

Is this folder on the phone, or on a Google drive (online)? Poweramp will not be able to use an web folder. If it is on your phone, then you will need to point your library folder to this new location and provide root access as mentioned by @andrewilley likely by removing access to all, then adding the main storage drive again. With Android 11 you won't be able to simply work from this migrated method that was done at the store.

Library Audio file is ticked but I'm not very tech savvy with Poweramp and I don't really understand these instructions.

As i am running Android 11 would it just be simpler to uninstall and re-install Poweramp from play store. I am worried about losing all my previous settings so would you be kind enough to send me instructions how to do this or point me towards the best video for doing this on youtube. 

Many thanks

Jamie

See my earlier post about backing up settings from your old device if that's the way you'd prefer to go.

But on your new device, where are your MP3 files now saved? Ideally I would suggest they should be in a folder in your top level storage, called maybe "Music Folders" or "My Music" or "Audio" (to separate it from Android's own "Music" folder, although that would do fine too). If not, use the Files app (or a file explorer app of your choice) to move them there.

Then once all your audio files are in one location, go into Poweramp Settings > Library > Music Folders and drill down into the internal storage and tick the folder name that you chose.

If that does not work, it could be permissions related, so it's worth disabling PA's access to the whole storage and then re-enable it. To give you an idea, here's a way to do it on my own device:

Go into PA Settings >Library > Music Folders and click the 'X' next to your main storage description, and confirm you want to disable it for now:
image.png

image.png

The 'X' next to your storage will change to 'Enable', which you now need to click on:
image.png

Navigate to the top level of your storage (which will probably be where this screen opens anyway)and click 'Use this Folder'. Then agree to the confirmation prompt:
image.png

image.png

Now you'll be back at the Poweramp folders screen again. Drill down using the triangle on the left, and tick any folders that you will want Poweramp to scan, and click Select Folders.

image.png

PA should now scan and find all your music. Hopefully the screenshots will help, just use your own storage and folder names.

Andre

Archived