Sort Albums by Album Artist

There's an option for sort by Artist in album view, but not Album artist. This means if you just sort by artist compilation albums are in weird places, and albums that include collaboration songs are labeled oddly too. 

I would love to see this added as I have always used the album view and just scrolled to the artist I wanted to listen to via the A-Z bar on the right. this worked perfectly because you can browse all you albums by their covers, but everything was organized into discographies meaning you could quickly jump to a certain artist. It sucks I can't just scroll to V for Various Artists and find my compilation albums that were added recently, or for example a mix CD compiled by a single album artist is listed under the the individual song artist names

@andrewilley yeah im aware of the album artists view, but what appeals to me about the albums view is that you don't have to click a specific artist to begin browsing. using the album view you can scroll through all your album covers which i personally think is the best way to pick something to listen to, but also the A-Z bar on the side made it easy to jump to a certain artists discography and browse through that without taking every other album off the screen. with the album artists view you have to pick an artist before any albums appear, and when they do appear it's only the albums by that artist that get displayed.

the album view felt a lot more seamless to me in terms of being able to display my entire library of albums on screen at once, but also being able to quickly find a certain discography in the same screen. there are options to adjust the way the album list is sorted, but by Album Artist isn't one of them :( 

using album view with the 'sort by artist' option has been my go to since i started using Poweramp, but it just doesn't work for compilation albums or mixes. adding 'by album artist' to the sort options would easily remedy this and i'm kinda surprised it's not there already since sort by year, artist, number of tracks etc are

Allowing sorting by Album Artist makes sense to me too - although there would need to be a fall-back to using the plain Artist tag for any albums where the included songs don't contain Album Artist tags (which is something that would make sense applied generally for all uses of Album Artist to be honest).

@Fitzian  Multi-level sorting like that is heading towards a feature I suggested a while ago, which was to be able to define customised Categories where you can specify your own sorting layers in detail - e.g. Album Artist -> Year (Reversed) -> Album Title > Disc# -> Track#

Andre

@andrewilley yeah i would be mega happy if it was added. previously most of my compilation albums were just listed as 'various artists' for each individual song so the 'artist' sort method worked fine, but after updating all my files to use official tags this sorting method no longer works, and albums that feature 'Artist ft Other Artist' are sometimes in odd places too.

are you aware of any way to get the A-Z bar on the folders view? all these albums are organized in their folders by album artist>album, so folder view actually displays things how I want them, the only thing missing is the A-Z bar. 

7 minutes ago, boxcar27 said:

are you aware of any way to get the A-Z bar on the folders view?

Yes, sort the Folders list 'By Name' rather than 'By Path'. Same with the files level, set to sort it 'By Title' rather than 'By Filename'.

That won't work for the Folders Hierarchy category though, as in that mode each layered list can contain both files and further subfolders so a simple A-Z order can't apply as it's not a simple list.

Andre