Unable to assign music folder

RBEmerson

Pixel 4XL rooted to Android 11, PA build-903-arm64-play[9030004-4dbb36e4]

All attempts to assign /Main Storage/ fail. I pick internal storage, which doesn't show the "contains folders" arrow, using the check box. Using the + I pick "continue" in the Add Storage/Provider Plugin, drill down to Music, and tap Use this folder. Tag allow and... fail. 

What's happening here???

You need to grant access to the highest level folder that you want to use first, then go back into the list and tick that folder for Poweramp to scan.

If this was an update to Android 11, it might be easier to clear any old settings first by removing all of Poweramp's permissions (via Android's app settings) and then reassign them. Also, make sure PA Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned OFF.

Andre

49 minutes ago, RBEmerson said:

Problem solved - it was the Legacy switch. Thanks!

@maxmp Might it be worth watching for Android 11 ROM updates, and offering to turn Legacy File Access Mode off if there are library scanning issues? This one seems to be causing problems for a lot of Android 10-->11 updates.

Andre

@andrewilley not possible - for most users this feature works fine, also disabling it means access to library is lost and manual music folder reselection is needed. (The issue user is seeing is obvious Android bug - direct file access permission is silently removed but API returns “all good we have access”).

The legacy access is there for users transitioning from Android 9 to Android 10. Android keeps all the permissions and the transition is seamless.

The app obviously can’t grant music folders permissions to itself - user intervention is needed. The app also can’t (directly) direct file access is removed due to the Android 11 bug - for app it looks like access is there and we just have no files there. From system logs that bug is apparent as permission issue happens inside android framework code which complains in the log.

If Android 12 (13, 14..) removes the direct file access completely, then all users will be required to do that manual reselection (btw in all file accessing apps), but that is not clear yet.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

(The issue user is seeing is obvious Android bug - direct file access permission is silently removed but API returns “all good we have access”).

I'm not disputing that the bug is in the Android update, just wondering if there's something PA could check for in this process (sudden lack of files?) that might be worth triggering a pop-up prompt suggesting that the user disables Legacy mode and/or re-assigns access permissions and Music Folders. It might help users who experience this problem but don't use these forums from posting negative comments on the Play Store? Just a thought anyway.

Andre

If I understand correctly what I read regarding legacy access, there seems to be a problem with Google yet again closing down the scope of visibility (AKA scoping). Guessing again, Google argues that the less visible something is, the more secure it is. Developers/Users argue that if something can't be seen, except in limited circumstances, what good is it doing anyone.

Or maybe I should just go away, and open another bottle of pinot grigio. Salud!

• 2 weeks later...

a pop up message with helpful dialog would go a long way on your user ratings because i can see people who lets say were never taught to problem solve and were never pushed to learn how to put effort into fixing things yourself just giving bad reviews i had the same problem went to your website and checked the forums for something close to my problem i just upgraded from a galaxy s5 to a galaxy s20 and had this same issue with Poweramp not accessing music folder on sd card and this thread got me thru thank you all for posting in forums i love finding fixes to problems