Crack sound when playing a particular file

John Titor

As the title says, when playing a particular file, in certain timestamp, I can hear a crack sound/audio artifact. It doesn't happen with other music files as far I am aware of. Also, I tried with stock and it works perfectly without any artifacts there. 😔

None of that. Tried with DVC off, EQ off, every audio effect settings off. Weird thing is that it doesn't happen when I am playing on phone speaker, and it happens when I am playing the audio file with MX player. It could be related to ffmpeg, since both PA and MX player uses that.... I am sending you the file link via private message if you don't mind

Not checked in PA yet, but the file as a whole is very close to 100% digital throughout. Have you tried reducing the PA preamp gain by 10dB or so, to see if that helps?

image.png

[Edit: In PA there is very small 'scratch' sound at 3:01. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't listening for it though. Not related to EQ and preamp does not help. Also glitches using VLC on my PC, but not in foobar2000]

Andre

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Edit: In PA there is very small 'scratch' sound at 3:01. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't listening for it though. Not related to EQ and preamp does not help

Oh yes exactly. So I wasn't the only one

10 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Not checked in PA yet, but the file as a whole is very close to 100% digital throughout. Have you tried reducing the PA preamp gain by 10dB or so, to see if that helps?

image.png

That is a lot of hard clipping. Reducing the PA gain at this point isn't going to help much one afraid.

@John Titor Is this a downloaded file, or ripped from CD? Looks like gain was applied at some point that has oversaturated the levels. If it is from a CD, try ripping it again and make sure no DSP effects are adding this level increase. If it is a download, I'd email the provider and advise of the issue if that is an option.

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Probably the decoder engine is breaking before it even gets into PA's processing code.

So is there a fix for me as a listener? It works with stock music player so I am guessing android media codec is capable of decoding it correctly.

1 hour ago, MotleyG said:

Titor is this a downloaded file, or ripped from CD?

Downloaded file and I got it from my friend so I myself don't have an option to contact the original provider.....

Archived