Bluetooth connected to S21 but music plays over phone speaker

ceebo

I've been using Poweramp for many years w/o issue and absolutely love it, but after spending a couple weeks with my brand new Samsung Galaxy S21, I have reached my wit's end trying to get Poweramp to play over Bluetooth, so I'm joining the forum in hopes that someone can assist me.

The device I am connecting my phone to is a Logitech BT speaker and all of my other apps are correctly sending audio to the BT device, however Poweramp just plays music out of the phone's speaker (though there is a change in the speaker volume depending on if I have Bluetooth enabled or not, guessing just a DVC setting). I've searched through all of the Poweramp settings, switched through all of the various output plugins, but nothing seems to work. To make things more confusing, if open up the Audio Info inside Poweramp, it actually shows that audio is going to my Logitech BT, but in reality it is still going to the phone's speaker....

Screenshot_20210318-102753_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.167731b7e9e78bc17998c34996705502.jpg

What am I missing here? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I current have Force Speaker Off checked, but it has no effect when unchecked either. At the moment I'm using Hi-Res, but I've tried OpenSL ES and AudioTrack Output as well, the behavior remains the same with all of them. Any other suggestions?

Yeah, I have that currently checked. Tried it unchecked as well, no difference. Would any of these other BT developer options have an impact, such as AVRCP version (currently 1.6) and Audio Codec (currently SBC), PBAP version (currently 1.2)? I'm trying the various different ones, but the ones that I'm able to select don't seem to do anything.

Ok, the plot thickens. I installed SmartThings, which is a Samsung app that supposedly lets you toggle the audio between your phone's speaker and Bluetooth... it didn't do that at all, but look closer at the screenshot...

1982119899_Screenshot_20210318-180819_OneUIHome.jpg.2c8405692cf47114323cd8a16afe6c26.jpg

Toggling the radio button from Logitech BT to My Phone and back did nothing to stop the audio from playing through the phone's speaker instead of BT, but I find it interesting that while I have music playing in Poweramp it says "Poweramp selected" under My Phone. Nothing I could do could get that to appear under Logitech BT. Also note that Poweramp itself still seemed to think that it was playing over BT when it wasn't...

Screenshot_20210318-181644_Poweramp.jpg.591cc7a22d09845853b51102c5f0c253.jpg

Now here comes the kicker: I proceeded to uninstall SmartThings, since it didn't appear to solve my issue, and suddenly Poweramp's music started playing through my Bluetooth speaker! No settings appear changed, it just suddenly worked like it is supposed to. I could disconnect from BT, and reconnect, no problems.

Unfortunately, after restarting my phone, the problem was reintroduced and I'm back to square one. I did the whole install SmartThings/uninstall SmartThings again, and sure enough the solution is repeatable, but what a terrible workaround to have to perform every time I restart my phone and want to listen to music through Bluetooth.

Does anyone who is more knowledgeable than me about Bluetooth protocols/settings and Samsung phones/apps have any idea what I should be checking in my phone's/Poweramps settings? Is this a defect within Poweramp itself? I'm convinced that there is a permanent solution, I just don't know where to look.

This does seem like a specific issue with your setup for some reason, or a Samsung (Android 11?) issue. I suspect @maxmp would need to be able to reproduce the issue to troubleshoot it though. A debug log might help; you could start with on from PA Settings > Get Support > Send Log (email it to gpmaxmpz (at) gmail.com ). It may need a full Android Settings > Developer Options > Bug Report though.

Andre

Ok, I sent Poweramp logs both with the problem present after a phone restart, and again after doing the Samsung SmartThings install/uninstall fix. Also sent the Android bug report. Anything else I can do on my end to help provide more info? I appreciate the assistance.

On Android app can't switch audio outputs (except playing on Chromecast, but this is not an output). There is no API, or anything in Android we can call to switch output.

We can switch off and on speaker, but Poweramp obviously never switches speaker on.

Thus, system regulates where audio goes. Some system level app can do that too. Samsung has own APIs for switching audio for system apps (such as Sound Assistant). If you have this installed (or had previously installed), please check options such as "Separate app sound", etc.

Thanks!

Archived