Prevent Poweramp from Autoplaying on Bluetooth Connection.

All bluetooth autoplay options turned off.

App not running & phone rebooted.

Yet every time a bluetooth device connects the app magically starts playing.

I've had to uninstall as the only way to prevent this unwanted behaviour but would like a resolution.

@rbz5416 Without any more information about what is happening, it won't be possible to find out what is happening. The first thing to check would be whether your Bluetooth device is actually issuing a Play command upon connection (some do), which Android would have to send somewhere. PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands would tell us that.

Andre

Running build 893 arm64 on my Note10+ for several months on Android v.10.x without any issues. HOWEVER, the day Android v.11 was push installed and upgraded my Note10 + (20210201), the same problem with Bluetooth auto-connect (when Poweramp not even active) became apparant from the get go. But this was not the ONLY issue Android 11 has caused. In my SMS App, Messages+ by Verizon, 95% of inbound texts are NOT color inverted, making it impossible to read ANY incoming texts. This persists even after changing the background color of the conversation bubble. I noticed a couple other issues with v.11, but not applicable to this forum. 

I have called Verizon Tech Support two times, then quickly using my 30 year IT career experience to bypass the clueless flowchart readers, going straight to Tier Two (REAL Techs) Support. Both times, one month apart, Tier Two Tech Support told me they were unaware of these issues. I say, bull shit. My first call was the 2nd day after Android v.11 was pushed out, the second a month later. As usual, either Verizon dies not internally publish new issues or bugs to all support personnel , or they inform those personel to play dumb, then throw the broken pieces to Samsung so we can be told that the next release of Android OS will address the issues, thereby pointing the finger at Samsung and taking a laissez-faire attitude toward fixing THEIR customers issues. But I do not intend to roll over and play dead with Verizons lame ass excuses, as the issues I am experiencing are not specific to me only. Everyone of my colleagues that have Note 9's or Note 10, 10+ devices are experiencing the same exact Poweramp auto start Bluetooth issue as well as the non color- inverted inbound text font colors which to my knowledge only exists in Verizons OWN SMS App, Message +. 

I just now d/l the latest Poweramp build v.899, so obviously have not yet tested it. Hopefully the Bluetooth issue will be resolved, however in my experience, I do not have any reason to believe Poweramp could react to whatever code change occurred in Android v.11 to have written a fix this soon. In all reality the fingers should be pointed one way--> to Samsung, Google and Verizon. Even given the fact that Google writes the code and makes the major OS structure, function, and initial code rewrites, Samsung AND Verizon both do their share of modifications that may enhance one snippit of technology within the Android IS, but at the same time, break a functional and long-standing snippit of technology within an entirely separate and unrelated snippit of the Android Version which was pushed out to all devices without giving the consumer the choice to wait on the upgrade until they feel no fear in upgrading. After all these years, donchathink every technology company in the world should have learned from Microsoft's initial release of Windows Vista? 

Forrest Salfen, 

SoCal Contributer 

March 24, 2021

@fsalfen Good points. Google's Android development gives very little thought to backward compatibility. I think sometimes Google don't treat Android as an Operating System - which has the primary purpose of supporting the apps which are to run under it, and providing them with a seamless interface to the hardware. They instead seem to think it is an end in its own right.

Depreciating or changing low-level interfaces should be something that is done with great reluctance, but they seem to do it on a whim in Android. The most obvious recent cases being the storage access framework debacle, and unnecessary (mostly cosmetic) changes that break things like Notifications. Also Bluetooth connections, as has been noted here.

If you still have a problem with BT auto-starting playback, even after you have disabled the auto-start features in PA's settings, then the results from PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands might help.

Andre 

As long as I'm totally dissatisfied with Android v.11, I may as well continue my distain for the domineering stance Google takes with Android OS, although I first need to say that to blame Google solely isn't what I am here for. Google shares the blame, as I stated above, with Samsung and Verizon equally. Google may design and write most of the code for Android OS, but Samsung and Verizon should each share a tgunrd of the blame, as they f*** with it so much sometimes that it's unrecognizable. A BIG gripe I have with Google is there holier than thou attitude thinking they have the right to disable or break a perfectly good app whenever they want to. I am now referring to their in again, off again ass kissing they seem to enjoy with the federal government. I used SMS+ and APC Call Recorder  for years, then.... nada. Totally hosed cuz Google supports some of the worst whims the feds have ever come up with, then cowtows to big government, as they see fit. 

On 3/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, maxmp said:

You can check "Last Processed Commands" in Poweramp to see what exactly started the playback. Thanks!

It's worth checking  out but you won't find anything out of the ordinary because with Poweramp unistalled, iheartradio takes its place doing the same thing. It all hinges on Android v. 11.

Forrest

I'm afraid I don't have the time or inclination to reinstall Poweramp & endure the issues again in order to try to find a log entry. The point remains that when one audio app is active (ie Spotify) there should be no way for your app to launch itself & commence play, over-riding the active app.

Fair enough, but such problems certainly can't be found or fixed if the person experiencing the issue won't spend just a few minutes to help find out what's causing it.

Install, connect a BT headset to see if problem occurs, and if it does take a screenshot of the log info would take less than five minutes, then you can uninstall again if you want.

Andre

Forget about checking Config settings on PA. IT IS NOT Poweramp!!!!   It is Android v.11. I have confirmed it twice. Under Android v.10 all PA builds worked fine. After the OS was upgraded to Android v.11 ALL builds of PA performed the same, which is, when Bluetooth connects, PA starts itself. The only way to stop it is to go into Apps, then choose FORCE STOP. But that is only temporary. It will go back to starting when Bluetooth connects. 

I have confirmed the issue also affects the latest Poweramp build 899-uni. 

My advise to everyone:

1)  Call and bitch to your carrier (mine is Verizon), 

2) Call and bitch to the phone manufacturer (mine is Samsung), 

3) Use your Google One account to get support, and bitch to them as well. 

If history is any indication of Android version updates, we all will have to wait until the next Android version update. 

NOTE: With Poweramp unistalled, any other audio app that is installed Wil show the same behavior as PA does. This is definitive proof the root cause is Android v.11.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU EXHIBIT ANGER AT ALL SUPPORT. 

While Android 11 may be making this situation worse - I assume because of the new logic that some app must always be considered to be an active music application - if the Bluetooth device does not issue any commands, and Poweramp's options for auto-playback, focus-change resumes, and 'respond to buttons' and are all turned off, then playback should not be able to commence automatically.

However if the BT device is issuing KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY or KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE button events when it connects (which some devices do, as Max said above) and Android is passing those commands on to PA as a music app, then Poweramp will do exactly what it's told and start playing upon receiving such a command.

@rbz5416 hasn't said what Android version he's using, or the PA version, or even the Bluetooth device, so some of this will be guesswork at the moment.  

Andre

• 1 month later...

As I posted before.....it is NOT Poweramp. It is Android v.11. I called Verizon and spent four hours on the phone with "Tech Support" and got NO where. So, they transferred me to Samsung. The person I was then in contact with used to be a Verizon employee but is an independent employee of Samsung. I asked to be downgraded to Android v.10. After some discussion I granted her access to my phone by D\L ing a proprietary Samsung App. She accessed several settings on the motherboard, NOT the BIOS and NOT the CMOS, she DIRECTLY accessed the motherboard and made several changes , all of which blew right by me. I did not know that the MB could be accessed that way and even though I have 30 years of IT in my retired career, I have never seen anything like what she did.  At any rate, she completely fixed every issue Android v.11 was giving me fits with. Fu&K Android 11!!!!!

Forrest

• 2 weeks later...

This problem only re-occurred after update of Poweramp to 895 build-905-arm64-play 3 weeks ago.  I have an S7 Edge running 8.0 android which has received no updates subsequent to PA update.  I had this problem when I first bought the phone years ago and it was corrected.  As of last update from play store, it is back again.  I can force stop power amp and it will still re-start playing music on bluetooth connections in the same cars I've owned for  years as soon as the key is on and vehicle BT is connected.  Worse, it is inconsistent.   If I just exit out of PA, get out of the car and restart, sometimes PA will start playing music (most of the time) and sometimes it will not.  It is extremely annoying.  I have no other app problems with this phone.  Logs are empty.

I note with the latest version of PA that the settings seem different (it's literally been years since I've had to touch any PA settings to avoid this problem).  Can you please confirm what settings need to be set to disable this feature?

Love the app (except for the hopefully gone no valid license error mid flight).

• 1 year later...

Having the same issue. Plays every time I turn on my stereo and it hooks to Bluetooth. When I turn off stereo in vehicle it automatically starts playing on the phone speaker. So I'm constantly walking into a store or a place of business and my phone is playing in my pocket. Just got a Pixel 6 pro. Android 12. Went to the last command in Bluetooth to see what it said and it said absolutely nothing. Have all the Bluetooth presets turned off. Really liked your program. I'm deaf in one ear for 3 years and it plays really good in my headphones when i Mow a rather large yard. I could put it on mono and hear both sides in my one headphone. I'm going to have to uninstall and just wait till you get it fixed. It sounds like an ongoing problem through many versions of Android and different phones. One customer above was complaining about Samsung. Well I have Google. And still have the problem. I'll try back again in a few months.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:06 PM, andrewilley said:

Just checking, you don't also have the Poweramp Equalizer app installed do you? Even if its various EQ features are disabled, the auto-play on connect will still respond if you have it enabled in the menu.

Andre

OMG! Thank you! This was the problem for me, didn't even occur to me to check for this in the EQ app.

• 6 months later...