Organisation of items in Output menu

andrewilley

Just a random thought I had after trying again to explain the Audio Output options to a new user, but I think the Output menu would make a lot more sense if it was first organised by device rather than by method. At the moment, when you open the Output menu (and this is a bit dependent on your Android/device) you probably see what appears to be three 'methods' and one 'device/method' (OpenSL ES, AudioTrack, Hi-Res, and Chromecast) which is a bit counter-intuitive and especially confusing for new users.

I think it would make more logical sense, and be more user-friendly, if that first menu level showed the names of all the possible output devices, with their currently chosen output method (OpenSL, AudioTrack, Hi-Res, etc) indicated underneath. Something like this:

Speaker
         OpenSL ES Output
     Wired Headset/AUX                     Active
         Hi-Res Output
     USB DAC
         Hi-Res Output
     Bluetooth
         OpenSL ES Output
     Chromecast
         Chromecast
     Other Output Devices
         OpenSL ES Output

Tapping on a device name would drill-down to see the choices of Output method and their Settings icons (or directly into Settings if there are no other method choices, such as for Chromecast).

No changes to any actual functionality, just a tweak to the way in which the options are presented to the user. Would other people find this easier too I wonder? It'd certainly be easier for me when explaining to new users. :)

Andre

• 1 month later...

@maxmp While you are moving the Audio Focus options around to make them easier to find (https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/4628-autostart-playing-music-when-poweramp-is-started/?do=findComment&comment=96811) could you perhaps implement the above Output menu layout change too? Now that there are so many choices, I do think a Device->Method hierarchy would be easier and make more sense than the existing Method->Device layout.

Andre

@andrewilley I guess this could be done when (planned) Settings revamp happens. This is mostly about UI (Settings will be better integrated into Poweramp UI, now they follow system UI theme, though, gradually changing with releases). Additionally, each output also will have options for auto start, audio focus, Eq preset, etc.

The revamp is planned right after the parametric Eq release - which is the next big feature for the Equalizer and Poweramp beta builds.

Edited by maxmp

Sounds excellent, thanks. There are so many options available now that the method-led approach has become a bit confusing - for new users especially. But if the Output menu could start with a simple top-level list of all the available devices (Headset/Aux, Speaker, Bluetooth, USB, etc) showing what method is currently in use for each, and then drill-down to the changes/adjustments for each, I think it would be a lot easier for people to follow.

Andre