My Top Rated keeps getting deleted

germ

I am running Poweramp build 883-893 on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.

For some reason since updating to Android 11, My Top Rated playlist keeps emptying it self. This is the fourth time it has happened and is becoming a major problem for me. I had over 2,000 songs in that playlist and now there are 0. I haven't changed anything with storage at all. 

Please let me know what I can do, to have this stop happening.

Thanks

Ratings are saved in the local Poweramp database, not inside the physical music files, so if for some reason the library database is getting cleared and then rebuilt, then any ratings you have created locally in Poweramp may get wiped too.

A few people have reported that their library databases are being killed after device rebooting (mostly with the latest Android 11 updates on Samsung devices) so I wonder if you have the same problem they do? Do you notice if PA tries to do a Full Rescan when you start the app?

Do you have a backup of your Ratings, perhaps saved via a third-party app like New Playlist Manager, or exported into a backup playlist via the Export Poweramp Playlists feature?

Andre

Hey Andre! Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I do notice that it is doing a rescan every time I open it, it has the circle spinning everytime. I took off all power savings settings for Poweramp and for Poweramp activator.  I have no backup for the top rated playlist. I had no idea about playlist manager, I will check that out now.

So my top rated are gone permanently? 

26 minutes ago, germ said:

So my top rated are gone permanently? 

Sadly, yes. It's one of the pitfalls of the ratings originally only being stored in the local database, which of course is transient if there is some kind of system issue.

There are ways to back them up as I said, but unfortunately it would be too late now they are gone. 

Andre

You would not be the first person to ask for ratings to be saved to files on the fly as you create them, rather than needing some kind of backup process that will never get done regularly enough. Hopefully one day.

For now, Max plans to implement it as a batch task soon:

While searching for the above post, I noticed that this first got raised around ten years ago during the early beta phases for Poweramp v2, so it's been a while... :) 

Andre

• 11 months later...

If all of your ratings are gone, the entire music database must have become corrupted and had to be rebuilt. Either that or your music folder path got changed by Android, meaning that PA now sees a whole set of 'new' (and thus unrated) music files. Ratings are linked to the exact folder/filename combination, so moving a song to a new folder would also lose its ratings.

For now, once you have created your ratings, make a safety backup using Settings > Export Settings/Data.

Andre