Download APK from website to install on external USB.

dla

I would like to download PA apk from your website so I can install directly to an external USB so that I can use the USB in my Samsung A10e phone or my auto. Does the app have an option at Install to direct the installation to the USB itself. I have tried to play music from various music players downloaded to the phone's internal memory and the players can't find the music files on the USB. I have to go down the USB file structure manually to find the music files then the player will only play one song at a time.

Yes, you can download APK files from the Downloads tab at the top of this page. But it would not be a good idea to try to install the app itself onto USB memory, just install it to regular device storage.

Instead, assuming your device's file system does natively support the USB drive, you should go into PA Settings > Library > Music Folders and enable the relevant drive/folder path from the storage tree. That should trigger a new scan, but if not you can start one manually via Settings > Library > FULL Rescan.

Andre

• 2 years later...

I'm interested in downloading the PA apk from your website to directly install it onto an external USB. This way, I can use the USB on my Samsung A10e phone or in my car. Does the app offer an option during installation to install directly onto the USB? I've attempted to play music from different music players that I downloaded onto the phone's internal memory, but they can't seem to locate the music files on the USB. I have to manually navigate through the USB's file structure to find the music files, and even then, the player only plays one song at a time.

I wouldn't really recommend putting the core app on removable storage. There are background services which might not be happy with the core app suddenly not being present for example. Also the licence system for website downloads is only valid for one device at a time, so not sure how transferring it to a new device via swapping a USB stick would work. @maxmp might be able to advise further, but it's not something I would have thought to suggest. You would be much better off using a Play Store purchase, which you can install on as many devices as you like as long as they all use your same Google account.

PA should be able to scan your audio files from a folder on your USB drive into its Library though, just like it can for SD Cards, but again the app (and especially the library scanner) expects the storage to be permanently available, and I wonder whether removing and reinserting could potentially mess up things like permissions and folder paths. You'd need to specifically select a folder on your USB drive and grant permission for PA to scan it, using PA Settings=>Library=>Music Folders. Once fully scanned, I would suggest turning off the 'Auto Scan' features in PA Settings=>Library=>Scanner to avoid background scans potentially occurring while the USB storage is unmounted.

Andre