Sd card access android 11

MRguyandhis2

After updating my galaxy note 20 5g ultra to android 11 this morning,  I lost access to my SD card. This happened in android 10 and I don't remember how I got it back. I have over 5k songs on my SD card and I need my music. Tried the legacy option but that didn't work.

Pls help 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a known Samsung Android 11 upgrade issue. You need to turn File Access Legacy Mode OFF, then revoke app storage permissions in Android App settings, and then Grant Access again to your music folder in Settings > Music Folders. There are several other recent threads here with more info, or see

Andre

On 1/30/2021 at 11:08 AM, andrewilley said:

It's a known Samsung Android 11 upgrade issue. You need to turn File Access Legacy Mode OFF, then revoke app storage permissions in Android App settings, and then Grant Access again to your music folder in Settings > Music Folders. There are several other recent threads here with more info, or see

Andre

Unfortunately thst fix didn't help. I've tried some of the others with no avail. 

56 minutes ago, MRguyandhis2 said:

Unfortunately thst fix didn't help. I've tried some of the others with no avail. 

Then I would suggest uninstalling PA and the Unlocker and reinstalling to allow a complete fresh start (don't allow Google to restore settings from the cloud, or if it does clear app data). Make sure Legacy File Access Mode is still turned off, then go into Settings > Library > Music Folders and Grant Access to the folder where your music is stored (not the root of the SD Card). Then go back into the Music Folders list and tick that folder so PA can scan it. If that doesn't trigger a Full Rescan, do one manually in Settings > Library > FULL Rescan.

Make sure you have got backups of your Playlists etc first so PA can scan them back in for you. Ideally don't restore any exported PA Settings though, re-adjust them manually.

Andre

5 hours ago, MRguyandhis2 said:

Did this. Still nothing. It can find some folders but not all (where my music is stored). Sd card>android>data >music>(broken down by genre) is where my music lives but PA cannot target that folder 

Because starting from Android 11, apps can no longer access files inside the folders of other apps in Android/data. It's a system restriction, not something the devs can change I am afraid.

Edited by Someguyonline

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@MRguyandhis2 Why not just use a folder called 'Music' on the root of the SD Card? The Android/data/ hierarchy is more for app-specific data, and you should not really be putting your own content in here.

Andre

That's where it has been stored since wAAAAAAAAY back.  I just moved it to the root of the SD card and it's all there. 

• 1 month later...

I find it outrageous that due to android 11 i can no longer access MY data on MY sd card. In my opinion Google should be condemned for damage to the property of others, in the information relating to the new version of android this damage was not indicated

@Chuckkkkk I agree about folders in general, it's my device and my SD Card, so I should be able to define where things are stored. Perhaps limiting general app access to subfolders of the Android/data/ hierarchy is a good idea though, so apps have somewhere they can store their own stuff without likelihood of getting hacked by some rogue app.

File explorer apps do seem to be able to override this though (with user permission) which is a step in the right direction anyway.

Andre

I tried several files manager apps (Cx FileExplorer, Google Files, File Commander and Solid Explorer 2.8.11 for a fee) but with none I can view my music files that before updating to Android 11 I saw on the SD card in the Android / Media / DoubleTwist folder. So I can't listen to them with Poweramp. In fact, I imported them with DoubleTwist to be able to cast them on my Sonos. Do you find it normal? I paid for the SD, Poweramp and many mp3s (bought on iTunes) and I can't use them as I want. I'm fed up with all these restrictions. Safety is mine and I want to be able to decide what to put on the SD at my risks and dangers!

Solid Explorer 2.8.8 and above should allow access to the Android/xxx/ folder structure on Android 11. Access is now considered to be a 'special' permission though, so from the Reddit thread below it seems that any apps that wish to access it have to be specially vetted by Google (and I assume the user will also need to grant specific access permission when installing the app, so you might want to revoke old permissions and start again).

It is a complete dog's dinner though, as it's a pretty common occurrence for programs to need to be able to share access to files created/downloaded/modified elsewhere. And given that you can access everything via USB connection anyway - or just take the SD Card out and read it on a PC - the whole thing seems an utterly pointless, restrictive and user-hostile exercise. Android already provides apps with their own secure areas for any sensitive data in the root /data/data/<app>/ location, so nowhere else should be off-limits to you on a device that YOU own. 

thanks for your explanations andrewilley! I did already read the Reddit article. My problem is that I can see the Android / data folder, but it appears empty, while I know that it is not because the SD card is indicated as containing 18 GB of data, not however of the audio type but of the "other" type. Do I need to reset my SD? But if I can't use the data stored on the SD or even load most of the apps in it, I wonder what I can still use it ...

Personally, I try not to access the Android/data/ hierarchy on my SD Card and keep all app data on the main device. Although many apps do create their own extra folders in there anyway, virtually all of them are empty for me. To be sure of what's actually there, use a USB connection to a computer - or just remove the card and read it on a computer. But even on Android 11, current builds of Solid Explorer should be able to see the contents of the folders in there. 

For my music, I use a folder rather unimaginatively called "MusicFolders" (thus avoiding the use of Android system folder names, in case Android tries to use it too and messes it up). I'm old-school, I like to tell my programs where they should save my files, not the other way around. 

Andre

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Unfortunately the update to Android 11 resulted in the impossibility of accessing "sd / android / data / ...) this without any warning. I'm without access to ALL files (minutes, invoices, documents, etc.) that were downloaded by the Edge browser and that are in the respective folder (this browser does not allow me to change the download folder!). Whatever the justification, it is not only a disregard for users as an abuse. IMHO. 

Regards 

Install a well-supported file explorer app, such as Solid Explorer which now allows access to the Android/data/ heirarchy. You can also use a USB and copy via a computer.

But yes, Google seems to be turning into Apple in its dictatorial attitude to customers' devices.

Chrome browser doesn't allow selecting individual download folders manually either. Madness.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Install a well-supported file explorer app, such as Solid Explorer which now allows access to the Android/data/ heirarchy. You can also use a USB and copy via a computer.

But yes, Google seems to be turning into Apple in its dictatorial attitude to customers' devices.

Chrome browser doesn't allow selecting individual download folders manually either. Madness.

Andre

Hi Andre 

So far I haven't found any "file manager" and I've tried several, that could do it. What is achieved is to go to that directory but in the "internal memory" not in "sd". 
Also by connecting the device via USB or by removing the card and using an adapter, it always appears as an "empty directory". And is not empty. 

But thanks anyway. 

Regards 

I've just tried too, and I can't access the SD Card /Android/data folder either in any file explorer or via USB. :(

I did find a Reddit thread which says that you can actually rename the data folder (even though you can't yet see inside it) and then you can access everything. Android will make a new data folder of course.

Why the F allow access to the internal storage folders but not the external ones??! Especially when their very own browser used to save its SD Card downloads in there. It now uses a more normal 'Download' folder by the way, but that doesn't help with older stuff, as even Chrome can no longer access it. 

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I've just tried too, and I can't access the SD Card /Android/data folder either in any file explorer or via USB. :(

I did find a Reddit thread which says that you can actually rename the data folder (even though you can't yet see inside it) and then you can access everything. Android will make a new data folder of course.

Why the F allow access to the internal storage folders but not the external ones??! Especially when their very own browser used to save its SD Card downloads in there. It now uses a more normal 'Download' folder by the way, but that doesn't help with older stuff, as even Chrome can no longer access it. 

Andre

Hi

When referring to the directory "data /" that can be renamed, is it in the internal memory or "sd"?

Thanks 

Regards 

35 minutes ago, cmg said:

Hi

When referring to the directory "data /" that can be renamed, is it in the internal memory or "sd"?

Thanks 

Regards 

SD Card /Android/data

There should be no need to do anything to the one in internal storage as that is more readily accessible. Also, changing the internal one could muck a lot of apps up, whereas there should be almost nothing using the SD Card's data subfolders. Your risk though, I just read it on the internet... :)

Andre