Not recognising tags from files streaming from SMB

boxcar27

I have managed to get Poweramp to stream directly from my SMB Server by mounting it via Google's Android Samba Client and adding the mounted folder in Poweramp. 

This functions amazingly with gapless streaming even on 32bit lossless files over 2gb in size! My issue however is that Poweramp refuses to recognize any of the tags embedded into the files, regardless of their format. I am unable to edit the tags within Poweramp however I can add album artwork. 

When using folder view everything is organized fine and functions as intended but since there is no track numbers being recognized the tracks are out of order. This could be fixed by manually adding track numbers to the files but it's still a workaround. 

Is there any way to get Poweramp to recognize these tags? I've tried this exact same method in a few apps and had no issues with tags being recognized but no luck with Poweramp : (

I'm really impressed I can stream these files so effeciently but it sucks to have no tag function especially when other apps seem to use it fine. 

Build Number: 893

Device model: Honor View 20

Android version: 10

No Custom ROM

Do you see the tag data if you long-press on a file and select Info/Tags ? What about if you do a Full Rescan? It does sound as though the SMB access is either not fast enough so the scanner doesn't get the data in time when it requests it, or maybe not allowing non-sequential access (clutching at straws a bit there)? Can you edit a tag in a SMB test file via PA to see if that works? 

Andre

No tag data with long press and info or a full rescan. Seems odd that it wouldn't be fast enough since the stream starts immediately and as I mentioned other apps seem to be okay with picking it up🤔

I actually can't edit any tags on these files that have been added via SMB, the edit tags item is greyed out, otherwise I would just avoid the hassle and add manually

I think I am having a similar issue when trying to play music file straight from my Mega drive. It looks like Poweramp doesn't recognise the metadata. Though, according to Wikipedia,

> ID3v2 tags are of variable size, and usually occur at the start of the file, which aids streaming media as the metadata is essentially available as soon as the file starts streaming instead of requiring the entire file to be read first as is the case with ID3v1.

I usually encode tags in ID3V2. I wonder what is the issue.

Poweramp

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

What SMB app are you both using to map your NAS folders as symbolic links within your Android file system?

Andre

Ehhhh, I am not actually sure. I set Poweramp as my default music player in settings, and when I tried to open a music file, it just open this app picker menu and I chose Poweramp.

Screenshot_2021-01-29-15-23-24-356_android.jpg

Other guy is streaming from an unmounted network connection I believe, hence why his file is opened as a Web stream as opposed to a file. 

I have mounted using Google's Android Samba Client (apk since it disappeared from the app store), which allows me to use the + button in Poweramps folder selection menu to add the location via the inbuilt 'Files' app. 

I'll try and add some screenshots? 

4 minutes ago, Someguyonline said:

Ehhhh, I am not actually sure. I set Poweramp as my default music player in settings, and when I tried to open a music file, it just open this app picker menu and I chose Poweramp.

Ah, so you are just streaming specific files from a file explorer app, just like you'd stream an online source such as a website-hosted audio file or a Shoutcast stream. No, I wouldn't expect to see any detailed metadata from that. You need to be playing from Poweramp's own internal music Library to get access to Albums, Artists, Genres, etc.

Andre

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Ah, so you are just streaming specific files from a file explorer app, just like you'd stream an online source such as a website-hosted audio file or a Shoutcast stream. No, I wouldn't expect to see any detailed metadata from that. You need to be playing from Poweramp's own internal music Library to get access to Albums, Artists, Genres, etc.

Andre

Correct. I am streaming the file from my cloud drive (Mega). But I am still confused about the Wikipedia page information.

>  ID3v2 tags are of variable size, and usually occur at the start of the file, which aids streaming media as the metadata is essentially available as soon as the file starts streaming instead of requiring the entire file to be read first as is the case with ID3v1.

So couldn't Poweramp be made to fetch the metadata as well?

I didn't realize there was a streams category until just now😂 they are integrated exactly as all my other music is, literally the only difference is the ability to read and edit tags. It's weird because I can even add image artwork

3 minutes ago, boxcar27 said:

Yes exactly, they appear everywhere that my music on internal storage does

And how do they show up in the library views, just as filenames with no Title/Album/Artist/etc metadata? It looks that way from the images you posted earlier. And a FULL Rescan doesn't help?

Andre

4 hours ago, boxcar27 said:

in folder view PA seems to be reading incorrect track numbers from.. somewhere?

If PA is unable to read a Track# tag from song metadata, which does appear to be the case here, it tries to interpret a track number from either the beginning or end of the filename. This can of course trigger strange results when the filename of a single (which genuinely would have no track number as its not from an album) has a name like "99 Red Balloons" or it ends with an artist name such as U2, Heaven 17, or UB40:
image.png
(see https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/19549-track-number-being-interpreted-from-filename-even-when-track-tag-is-deleted )

However I'm at a loss to work out quite where it's getting your particular numbers from! 🤔

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, boxcar27 said:

I have managed to get Poweramp to stream directly from my SMB Server by mounting it via Google's Android Samba Client and adding the mounted folder in Poweramp. 

This functions amazingly with gapless streaming even on 32bit lossless files over 2gb in size! My issue however is that Poweramp refuses to recognize any of the tags embedded into the files, regardless of their format. I am unable to edit the tags within Poweramp however I can add album artwork. 

When using folder view everything is organized fine and functions as intended but since there is no track numbers being recognized the tracks are out of order. This could be fixed by manually adding track numbers to the files but it's still a workaround. 

Is there any way to get Poweramp to recognize these tags? I've tried this exact same method in a few apps and had no issues with tags being recognized but no luck with Poweramp : (

I'm really impressed I can stream these files so effeciently but it sucks to have no tag function especially when other apps seem to use it fine. 

Build Number: 893

Device model: Honor View 20

Android version: 10

No Custom ROM

Hi, I made this account just to let you know I had the same issue, and after wasting a whole day trying multiple apps I solved it using this one CIFS Documents Provider to mount the share instead of the Android Samba client. Works the same way, it gets integrated into the android file picker but with this one the tag shows up properly, so I guess it' s not a Poweramp bug. Hope I might have saved you and other people that come across this issue some time

SMB plugin supports only subset of the Provider API, so that may prevent tags from being read (though, I can see tags and embedded covers for my setup, but it can vary).

Modifying that (open source) plugin to fully support the API would be a good idea and I have this in the backlog. 

Archived