Add country as a category

Rigo Perez

I'm not sure there is a standard ID3 tag for Country is there, not in the most common v2.3 spec anyway? Some of the more esoteric metadata formats (Vorbis, APE) have a Release Country tag.n And even then, that would be the country of release for that particular version of a track, not the origin of a band/artist (music file tags contain information about the track itself).

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'm not sure there is a standard ID3 tag for Country is there, not in the most common v2.3 spec anyway? Some of the more esoteric metadata formats (Vorbis, APE) have a Release Country tag.n And even then, that would be the country of release for that particular version of a track, not the origin of a band/artist (music file tags contain information about the track itself).

Andre

Esoteric metadata, lol :) love your rich vocab Andre.

Hmm yeah, Country of Release of that song. Hmm gets me brainstorming...

As I know, lots of popular music in the English-speaking Western world also gets released in non-English speaking markets. It unintentionally fuels Globalization in learning the English language. However, the reverse of this is not true and is in fact rare (except for EuroVision Song Contest). I don't know of any J-Pop or K-Pop songs (Japanese or Korean pop), I don't know of any Italian-spoken only artists/bands.

I do know of just one French performer DJ called Miss Kittin who did a remix release of a song 3ème Sexe. Entirely in French. I first heard that song on a 2008 TV advert for the 'Jean Paul Gaultier - Madame' perfume. The black n white filmed advert with fashion model Agyness Deyn, dancing around.

It's a cool sounding French song that is an Electro remix of a 1980s original. I've used this example as it's French lyrics with an international listener appeal.

Miss Kittin - 3ème Sexe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelkHngMFYg

and it's 2008 TV advert released here in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPk0XUSYxs

==============================================================

Alternatively as Andre pointed out this is not to be confused with singers/bands from non-English speaking countries that perform their songs in the English language. Astrud Gilberto is a famous Brazillian artist but her widely known 1960s hit song "Girl from Ipanema" is sung in English. A-ha was a famous Norwegian band who's 1980s hit song "Take on me" was (you guessed it) sung in English with chart success.

=====================

Hmm perhaps a new Library list option named Country's Release could be made. What do you all think?

Such a library list option would no doubt require Internet access to scan various online sources (Google, WikiPedia, Lyrics databases) for the correct language that song/music is sung in.

Additionally Poweramp could smartly make guesses on instances where song filenames are in non-Latin text UNICODE (such as Arabic, Hindi, Chinese text).

Archived