Hi-res doesn't work anymore on Note 8 Pro

Puppet

I used to have 192 kHz 24 bit but now I got only 48 kHz 16bit

On any Android 11 AOSP ROM

v3-build-883-arm64-play
Device: Redmi Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro begonia begonia [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]

FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_io_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/system/etc/audio_policy.conf
reading=/vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf
has outputs_primary, sampling_rates=44100|48000|96000|192000
has outputs_primary formats=AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT
has usb
has usb outputs
has usb_device, sampling_rates=dynamic
has usb formats=dynamic
USB can handle Hi-Res - sdk=28
OK flags=0x386000400000000
FLAG_VARIANT_MTK_HD
FLAG_SUPPORTS_USB
FLAG_FORCE_DVC
FLAG_OUT_PARAMS_UNDETECTABLE
FLAG_SUPPORTS_LDAC
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_192K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_96K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_48K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_44K

I guess Hi-Res output on 3.5 is disabled in this ROM (that is quite common for AOSP ROMs which usually have no recent Qualcomm (or in this case, MTK) patches). BT LDAC and USB-DAC still should work with Hi-Res (those are independently developed by Google and are not dependent on OEM "drivers").

13 hours ago, maxmp said:

I guess Hi-Res output on 3.5 is disabled in this ROM (that is quite common for AOSP ROMs which usually have no recent Qualcomm (or in this case, MTK) patches). BT LDAC and USB-DAC still should work with Hi-Res (those are independently developed by Google and are not dependent on OEM "drivers").

So can I help debug or something or hi res is dead

Max was saying that even if the internal chip supports high-res, Poweramp also needs the device firmware (i.e. the Android version) to provide a driver interface via which apps can connect to send high-res audio to the 3.5mm socket. It's unlikely a log would help, he would need to have an example of that phone and your specific ROM to test to find out anything more. Maybe a new ROM might help though?

Andre

On 1/21/2021 at 3:55 AM, andrewilley said:

Max was saying that even if the internal chip supports high-res, Poweramp also needs the device firmware (i.e. the Android version) to provide a driver interface via which apps can connect to send high-res audio to the 3.5mm socket. It's unlikely a log would help, he would need to have an example of that phone and your specific ROM to test to find out anything more. Maybe a new ROM might help though?

Andre

I can get that done, im friends with crDroid official fork creator maybe he can fix hi res compatibility but we need a way to know it 

We been tryng to enable the 192kHz system wide but the audio mods like viper4android and dolby stop working. Also, if we just modify the values still Poweramp doesnt recognize it I mean it does as default, but I still can't check the hi-res output option

We're using this tree if it helps. But we're not that good at audio mods.

https://github.com/TTTT555/device_xiaomi_begonia/tree/7.2/configs/audio

• 2 weeks later...

Archived