S20 loses SD card access on each reboot (build 893)

MaxOfS2D

Thanks for the updated info Max.

Presumably the known issues (2) and (3) will not eventually go away on their own after a simple rescan when starting PA. They both require settings to be manually adjusted by the user (disable File Access Legacy Mode, or grant storage permissions again, respectively) before any music can be accessed at all.

(1) seems to be the issue that is being experienced by the posters in this thread. It would be interesting to see if your thought about potential FAT errors on the SD card causing longer delays could be improved by reformatting the card and then copying the contents back again - especially for the users who have said the issue happens for them no matter how long they wait after a reboot:

On 2/21/2021 at 6:22 AM, Chris138 said:
when I start up PA after a phone restart it doesn't matter if it's ten seconds or ten minutes, the same thing happens.
On 2/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, BingBadaBoom said:
Also, if I open up PA after 10 minutes I still have the same issues. 

Andre

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@maxmpSo my brand new sd card that I took out of packaging just to test on your app is dying?  My spare sd cards that I reformatted to test if I had the issue (still did) are corrupted even after reformatting?  The sd card needs to be rescanned and the library rebuilds every time after reboot.  If it was an issue with the sd card, why do I not have this problem with any other app?  

@andrewilleyI've reformatted 2 separate sd cards at this point and copied music back onto them just to check.  Didn't change a thing.  Brand new sd card out of packaging didn't solve the problem either.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick to Muzio for the time being.  I add music to my library constantly and sort by recently added.  I can't do that in PA anymore since the library rescans and rebuilds every reboot.  Shame there's not an actual solution to this.

Edited by Chris138

@Chris138 So in your case it's not related to card errors causing an extended mount time. And you previously stated that this happens on your device no matter how long you wait after the reboot. This does sound like a more serious issue than the ones Max has been able to replicate on his test devices so far.

@maxmp would a log taken as soon as PA is first started on Chris's device help?

Andre

@andrewilley

Just received a new update for Samsung Galaxy S21 plus. No more issues with Poweramp not finding any files after reboot. I can play all my songs instantly after reboot when I start Poweramp up for the first time. I'm not sure if the new update has fixed all the other issues though, since I already fixed them before the update. Good luck! 

Screenshot_20210302-135437_Software update.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-135435_Software update.jpg

Edited by BingBadaBoom

On 3/2/2021 at 7:55 PM, BingBadaBoom said:

@andrewilley

Just received a new update for Samsung Galaxy S21 plus. No more issues with Poweramp not finding any files after reboot. I can play all my songs instantly after reboot when I start Poweramp up for the first time. I'm not sure if the new update has fixed all the other issues though, since I already fixed them before the update. Good luck! 

Screenshot_20210302-135437_Software update.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-135435_Software update.jpg

Had the same update this morning on my S10+, and the PA issue still remains for me.  I didn't actually start PA until this evening, so it's had all day to locate the SD card, but I received the "nothing seems to be here" error, followed by a rescan, upon which everything was OK, but once again I'd lost my place in my shuffle playlist, which is quite annoying.

31 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Si6776 Have you tried a clean re-install of Poweramp since the late Android update? Remember to backup any internal playlists first, as the whole PA setup will be rebuilt.

Andre

No, but what I did do was restrict the scanner to the one Music folder on my SD card (previously the card was allowed at root) and I've since rebooted the phone twice and the issue seems to have resolved.  PA now opens with all music intact and the playlist position is saved.  Just keeping fingers crossed now. 🤞

7 hours ago, Si6776 said:

what I did do was restrict the scanner to the one Music folder on my SD card (previously the card was allowed at roor)

That's good advice generally, there's no point in wasting time scanning areas that you already know don't contain music. That's the whole point of having a Music Folders setting in the first place.

I always suggest de-selecting all storage first, then just enable the specific overall folder, or folders, that contains your music.

From Android 11 you'll be pretty much forced into this anyway, as its granting access permission system works at the folder level rather than for the whole of a storage medium.

Andre

On 3/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, andrewevenstar said:

I can confirm this is fixed after the latest update on GS10.

edit, after the first restart it worked, not the 2nd. not fixed. 

Yeah for some reason after a reboot the issue is gone and sometimes it isn't. Not sure why... 

Yep, happened again to me this morning after a power cycle.  Didn't start PA till later and all data had to be rescanned.  Pretty sure this is a problem with PA and not Android as other music apps are working fine, and unaffected by this issue.

@Si6776 And just to be clear on the details: you are using a Samsung S10+ with a fairly recent update to Android 11, and you've already tried a complete app reinstall. And this full rescanning issue always occurs the first time you launch Poweramp after a power cycle, even if that might be hours after the reboot when the SD Card ought to be fully available.

Andre

9 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Si6776 And just to be clear on the details: you are using a Samsung S10+ with a fairly recent update to Android 11, and you've already tried a complete app reinstall. And this full rescanning issue always occurs the first time you launch Poweramp after a power cycle, even if that might be hours after the reboot when the SD Card ought to be fully available.

Andre

I can confirm all of the above.

I would also add that this doesn't happen every time, and this is in fact the first time it's happened since the last time I posted when the issues seemed to have been resolved.

Edited by Si6776

So, here's another couple of things:

I wondered if the problem might just be occurring with a full "power off" power cycle rather than just a reboot, so I have tried both three times and the issue occurred with all three full power cycles, and two out of the three restarts.

I then went into (PA) Settings > Library > Scanner and disabled USB Disconnection / SD Card Mount, but the problem still remains.  

I know nothing much about the technical side of these things, but it does seem as though Android 11 may be unmounting the SD card when the phone is shut down, and this may be causing the issue with PA, but that doesn't really explain why it's been fine for the last two or three weeks, and the problem has just now reoccurred.

5 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Si6776 And if you turn PA's Auto-Scan feature off, what do you see when you launch PA a while after a reboot?

Andre

When you say "a while", do you mean a couple of minutes or a couple of hours?

I've just turned the Auto-Scan feature off, as you suggested, and have done one reboot, and one full power cycle.  Both times PA seems to have launched as it should.

8 minutes ago, Si6776 said:

When you say "a while", do you mean a couple of minutes or a couple of hours?

If it's working straight away, no need to wait for hours to test again. It will mean that you need to do a manual (quick) Rescan whenever you add new music, but at least your music isn't constantly being rescanned when you don't want it to be after a reboot.

Andre

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If it's working straight away, no need to wait for hours to test again. It will mean that you need to do a manual (quick) Rescan whenever you add new music, but at least your music isn't constantly being rescanned when you don't want it to be after a reboot.

Andre

OK, thanks for the advice. I guess that's a workable workaround, but it still seems this issue is to do with PA as it doesn't happen with other music apps.

Then again, thinking about it, other apps, such as Samsung's own music app, are now taking several minutes to respond to any changes / additions to music on the SD card, so clearly something has changed with the Android 11 update.  

This isn't really a fix though, is it?  Functionality shouldn't need to be disabled in order to circumvent bugs.  I hope that the issue is still being looked into and that Auto Scan can be re-enabled in due course.  🙂