S20 loses SD card access on each reboot (build 893)

MaxOfS2D

... until I go to Settings > Library > and hit "Music Folders". I don't have to change anything. I immediately back off of that menu and the files become visible to the app again!

Other things I tried but which didn't change anything: regranting permission to the SD card, granting permissions to my SD Card/Music folder instead of the root, rescanning or full rescanning.

Nothing besides accessing the "Music Folders" selection interface, and ONLY accessing it (no need to change anything selected in there) fixes the issue.

This is why I've created a new thread since this doesn't seem to be the problem other people are having with the 1O to 11 upgrade that requires you to fix external storage permissions. I've already done that and it has no effect on this specific bug.

This is on an Exynos S20+ whose apps and their settings were transferred over from another phone using Smart Switch (settings were therefore restored without the use of Poweramp's own feature), and which was then upgraded to Android 11 just a few hours after that.

Video captures of the bug:

BEFORE the reboot: 

AFTER the reboot: 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Do you have Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode enabled?

Andre

No, I don't have File Access Legacy Mode enabled, and I've never touched that setting.

EDIT: I've tried turning it on, selecting my music folder, and this interestingly this actually duplicated every file, even with a Full Rescan... I think it was seeing every file through the legacy mode AND the new mode. Had to temporarily disable Legacy Mode in order to remove the new mode's access there. And upon rebooting, Poweramp complained for a second that it couldn't see the files, but a couple seconds later, everything was fine! So, yeah, Legacy Mode actually works fine for me through reboots.

18 hours ago, maxmp said:

The Poweramp app has all permissions granted already. "Remove permissions if app isn't used" is not enabled.

I've attempted removing all permissions (including "external storage" ones) then granting them again, but this did not solve the issue.

Through the log generation feature I see a bunch of errors identical to this one on rescan failure:

12-23 04:28:22.542  4325  7351 E dirscanner.c: native_readdir !fail errno=Operation not permitted

The fact that the issue can get fixed simply by tapping "music folders" then immediately backing out, without changing any settings, is quite odd to me... I've sent the full log via email.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the same problem after updating my S10e to Android 11.

Unfortunately switching to legacy access doesn't work for me. On the contrary it blocks access to my 200 GB SD card and I can't find a way to give access while in legacy mode.

Build 893004

@clriis No, on Samsung Android 11 you should turn File Access Legacy Mode OFF. Then revoke whatever permissions had been retained, then set your Music Folders up again (which should require you to Grant Access again) and/or do a Full Rescan. You should also check in the Android app settings for Poweramp to ensure that any option to remove permissions if the app isn't used for a while is DISABLED.

Andre

@andrewilley Thanks for the proposed solution.

I did the following:

- Deleted cache + data for Poweramp and Uninstalled the app.

- Formatted the SD card.

- Copied my music to the pre-made Android folder "Music" (176 GB)

- Installed Poweramp and granted permissions.

However the problem persists; I need to rescan the library every time the phone is rebooted.

I've attached two logs, one after reboot and rescanning and one immediately after reboot.

Any input is much appreciated.

Claus

Poweramp log.txt Poweramp Log - Immediatedely after reboot.txt

If anyone is wondering, I fixed this issue doing the following. Also, this issue happened after the new Android 11 update I received today. (Galaxy S20 plus User) This probably will only work for those who didn't do a Full Rescan though. Anyways try this:

First Disabled Legacy mode. Settings>misc>Legacy Mode off

Now go into Settings>Library>Music Folders>Selected all folders in SD Card>Hit Rescan. 

Now you'll have duplicated songs. One song doesn't work and the duplicated song works. The legacy mode file directory "song" doesn't work, but by disabling it and selecting new folders has created a new one. 

Now go into the Poweramp app and deny storage permissions and allow. Do this by going into Settings>Apps>Poweramp>permissions>hit deny>and then allow. (Do this deny/allow a couple of times to force Poweramp to recognize the sim card. 

Lastly, go back to Poweramp and hit Rescan. Not Full Rescan. This fixed my problem and make sure to keep Legacy Mode OFF. 

Edited by BingBadaBoom

2 hours ago, BingBadaBoom said:

Does a Full Rescan delete image cache and edited tag information. Almost all my music has some form of tag info/album art modification and don't want to erase that. 

No, it does not affect downloaded images (that can be cleared separately in Settings > Album Art, if you want to start again). Edited tag information is saved directly back into the audio files themselves, so those edits are permanent too. If the folder/file structure has changed on your device then you could lose things like ratings, play counts, and date-added information for any moved files as they will be treated as 'new' music internally.

Andre

I hate the circumstances but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this issue. Honestly I came to to the forum to actually report on this bug since there doesn't seem to be an exact fix that'll stick after a reboot. I'm still having these issues myself even after doing basically everything listed in the forum. Hopefully this bug is identified properly and solved

3 minutes ago, Vekx92 said:

I hate the circumstances but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this issue. Honestly I came to to the forum to actually report on this bug since there doesn't seem to be an exact fix that'll stick after a reboot. I'm still having these issues myself even after doing basically everything listed in the forum. Hopefully this bug is identified properly and solved

Have you tried manually unmounting the SD card in your phone and mounting it again. Then trying these fixes? In your settings under storage you can unmount your sd card and mount it again. Might refresh settings/the directory.

8 hours ago, BingBadaBoom said:

Have you tried manually unmounting the SD card in your phone and mounting it again. Then trying these fixes? In your settings under storage you can unmount your sd card and mount it again. Might refresh settings/the directory.

I've done that plus literally everything here at least 4 to 5 times already. It doesn't fix the issue. It's an actual bug somewhere that needs to be fixed, no temporary fixes are all that good. They all revert after a simple restart. No other music app I use does that.  I wish someone would say that they'll try to actually fix the bug in the app instead of try to offer a bunch of unstable workarounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on a Note 20 ultra and I was also facing this problem after upgrading to Android 11. I have followed the steps suggested by Andrewilley including formatting the SD card. I had also cleared the app cache and app data. The legacy mode is off. 

At first it appeared that the problem is solved. But the player rescans the folders during restart sometimes - I would say randomly (not always). During  those rescans, play count and rating information is lost.

This is a serious problem. Please fix this, as play count and rating information is needed for managing large libraries.

Thanks.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, Vekx92 said:

I've done that plus literally everything here at least 4 to 5 times already. It doesn't fix the issue. It's an actual bug somewhere that needs to be fixed, no temporary fixes are all that good. They all revert after a simple restart. No other music app I use does that.  I wish someone would say that they'll try to actually fix the bug in the app instead of try to offer a bunch of unstable workarounds.

I've also tried every suggested  fix and nothing works.  Upon restart, library fails to load and needs to be rescanned every time.  Might be alright for someone with a small selection of songs but as someone with 10,000+ songs on my SD there's really no point in continuing to use the app until it's fixed.

S10e user here, recently updated to Android 11.

51 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@Chris138 unfortunately this issue is not reproducible on my Samsung @ Android 11 phones. Do you use legacy file access? Does Poweramp forget any other options/settings?

Legacy file access is not on, never used it before.  And I've cleared the data and reinstalled the app so many times at this point that the only settings I've messed with are the ones that are supposed to (and don't) fix the issue.

edit: I tried @BingBadaBoom's tip, followed by toggling permissions in the app info (settling on allowed).  I then went into library settings and specifically selected the Music folder on my SD card.  Upon restart, the app loaded fine with all music available without needing to be rescanned.  However, after a few restarts and then changing a couple UI settings (I don't like any info showing on the album cover), followed by another restart, the app "failed to load" the files again and everything needed to be rescanned. (None of the permissions were changed by me or changed on their own in the app info)

I'm not disputing that everything is working fine on your Samsung Android 11 phones, but with "fixes" spreading through multiple forum topics (none seeming to last that long) and numerous people still experiencing the same issue, it's clear this needs to be addressed clearly before I waste another few hours on a music app.  

@Chris138 so is it strictly for sd-card? Are songs from the internal phone storage always available?

Android 11 removes file permission from apps which were idle for some defined period of time. It should be 1 month, but we’ve seen such permission taken away on Samsungs immediately after upgrade. There is an option in App Info / Permissions - long press Poweramp icon / (i). Also  one ui 3.0 has another file access issue, but it affects only legacy mode (when permission is kind of granted, but not really).

@maxmp Yes the songs on internal phone storage are available and it seems to only effect the songs on SD card, exactly like the second video in the first post in this thread.  That really doesn't help me since I have more songs than I have storage on my phone, though.

I use Poweramp every single day.  No 1 month breaks here.  I also updated to Android 11 a couple days ago so this is a new problem.  It is the newest one with the Feb security patch update included.  And the "Remove permissions if app isn't used" has never been turned on by me.  I have tinkered with every other permission and every combo I could think of and suggested in the forum (i.e., denying permissions but allowing it within PA app, turning off appear on top and change system settings, etc.) No luck yet.

poweramppermission1.jpg

poweramppermission2.jpg

Edited by Chris138