High res output in old alpha build 704 with Android Oreo?

betterstranger

Hi,
I've got a question maybe to @andrewilley or anyone who knows the history of development of Poweramp.
Thing is I've got Samsung Galaxy S7 Exynos (I love it really for many reasons and don't want to change it) with Cirrus Logic DAC and Android 7.0. I'm using Poweramp Alpha 704 because it's the only version of Poweramp in which I can use Hi-Res Output and Direct Volume Control simultaneously. I installed many newer versions of PA on my Android 7 (didn't try the latest ones) but on each and every DVC only works with OpenSL output - in Hi-Res Output DVC it didn't work and volume was quieter by 10~20%.

Now second thing is I'd like to upgrade to Android 8.0 (I've got this option for year or two) because S7 with Oreo gets Sony LDAC codec (and I'm thinking about buying Earstudio ES100 bluetooth DAC/AMP which uses LDAC)... but I still would like to listen straight from phone's headphone jack.

And now, the final question is: does newest version of Poweramp allow use of Hi-Res Output and DVC simultaneously on Android 8.0 on Galaxy S7???
Because I'd like to have max power output on headphone jack with use of Hi-Res Output.

28 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

I'm using Poweramp Alpha 704 because it's the only version of Poweramp in which I can use Hi-Res Output and Direct Volume Control simultaneously.

Or at least it says that's what it is doing. Bear in mind that the early alpha versions of PA v3 didn't always correctly validate high-res and DVC, and they could allow enabling high-res internally even if the output ended up being 48kHz anyway. Not sure if that's the case for you, but it might be. I seem to recall it can be checked by looking at the live audio path in a terminal emulator, or via ADB on your computer (adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger while audio is playing on the device).

Andre

13 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Or at least it says that's what it is doing. Bear in mind that the early alpha versions of PA v3 didn't always correctly validate high-res and DVC, and they could allow enabling high-res internally even if the output ended up being 48kHz anyway. Not sure if that's the case for you, but it might be. I seem to recall it can be checked by looking at the live audio path in ADB on a computer.

Andre

Thanks for fast answer Andre but the question is will Hi-Res+DVC combo work on S7 with installed Android 8.0 Oreo? Is it possible for you to check it somehow or ask Max to check it? I'd be grateful :) 

59 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

Thanks for fast answer Andre but the question is will Hi-Res+DVC combo work on S7 with installed Android 8.0 Oreo?

As I said, that may depend on whether it is actually working on Android 7 in the first place. I would expect 7 and 8 to give the same results though, but @maxmp might be able to throw some more light on your specific example.

Andre

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As I said, that may depend on whether it is actually working on Android 7 in the first place. I would expect 7 and 8 to give the same results though, but Max may be able to throw some more light on your specific example.

Andre

I'd love to know because lack of working DVC is a showstopper for me. Moreover I'd like Poweramp to be playing straight through DAC as it is in Hi-Res Output mode (as far as I remember) without any Andorid stuff interfering and I've got some 24bit/96kHz recordings that I'd like to use. If you could ask Max about that it would be great!

@betterstranger I seem to remember that alpha build 709 included more error checking (to confirm if high-res was actually working on a given device) and prior to that PA could report high-res was enabled but the actual output stage might only be 48kHz. The ADB command I mentioned earlier should help check. But those builds are so old now (and were only alpha releases anyway) that there would be no support for them anyway.

(I've moved this to its own thread as it has nothing to do with the latest release build 893)

Andre

@andrewilley It would be cool to know if it's working. If I remember correctly 703 or 704 build was the one when Hi-Res was enabled for Galaxy S7 Exynos with Cirrus DAC.

I know there will be no support for them - I'm fine with it (but still - I prefer the early alphas black UI rather than newer ones). Only thing I'd like to know is if the new versions of PA are able to play thorugh DAC (Hi-Res) with DVC on 8.0 Oreo and Galaxy S7 :) because that's the condition for me to upgrade to 8.0 and buy Earstudio ES100 (because it looses quality without LDAC and LDAC is only available in Android 8.0 on S7).
If you could get this info for me it would be really lovely! :)  

Archived