Voice Commands not working when using Android Auto

andrewilley

When using my phone normally, a voice command such as "OK Google... play Baker Street" results in Android confirming "OK, asking Poweramp to play Baker Street" and the song commences playing as expected (whether or not PA was previously playing).

In my car, with my phone connected via USB to Android Auto, this used to work fine a few months ago. However now it behaves up to the point where Android responds "OK, asking Poweramp to play Baker Street" but then nothing happens. Nothing shows in the Last Processed Commands list, apart from the Pause that is triggered by the "OK Google" command. PA does not even resume playing the current track, just stays paused.

Samsung Galaxy A70, latest Android 10 build and PA 892. It has been happening for at least the last couple of builds too - not sure exactly when this started, as I haven't been doing any long drives recently. Would a PA logfile help?

Andre

Tested in Android Auto 5.8.60... - and I can search for (known to Google) artists and tracks. Note that sometimes Assistant may insert some random terms into search (e.g. I ask "play David Bowie", but I can see assistant asks to search for some extra album/titles:

device-2020-12-09-072223.png

Everything is visible in Last Processed Commands.

NOTE: I tested on Pixel as on Samsungs I'm not able to force Auto to enable "Unknown sources" to install the APK for the debugging, only release apk installed by Play is recognized, but Play version is able to search and play as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done a few more tests.

On the phone directly, it works perfectly every time. "OK Google" triggers the voice listener system, and after speaking the command it responds vocally with (for example)vand the song starts playing immediately. Command log:
image.png

If I do the same in the car with Android Auto running, saying "OK Google" initially pauses Poweramp's playback to allow the system to listen to the command, and it then responds with the same "OK, asking Poweramp to play Driving Home for Christmas". However nothing further happens, PA does not switch to the new track, or even resume playing where it left off (which it would normally do when you issue other Google voice commands such as for navigation/etc). Command log:
image.png

I'll send Max a diagnostic log of the in-car version [Now Sent] but I suspect PA never gets the command so there may not be much in there.

Andre

@andrewilley it's not directly reproducible in same environment (Samsung A70 @ Android 10/OneUI2.5, both OK Google and pressing mic on top of Auto works), so something differs in some settings or app versions. The "Full log" may help to investigate (the one generated from Developer settings / Bug Report / Full report). (Seems to be broken for Samsung @ Android 10).

Archived