YAPS goes where no other skin has gone before

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I really like the customization this app allows.

Is there a way to color the shuffle icon yellow (not the layout or background colors)?

Also, is there a way to center the line with the track count, sleep timer, visualization and shuffle? I hid the sleep timer and visualization icons, so now the line is off center.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What's the best way to add a shade over the background album art blur? The text gets completely lost when the album cover is completely white, or when the text color matches an album cover that is a single solid cover. I tried playing around with the gradient options but all that does is put a color gradient in the background eliminating the blurred album cover. I'd prefer to keep the background as an album art blur because I like the changing colors and matching color scheme per song.

Here's how my skin configuration currently looks with my preferred layout:

20220908_175657.jpg.816bb43b7d6cfea78cbe71eb29a153b3.jpg

Here's how it looks when the text gets lost:

20220908_175536.jpg.dec6863b65a7c13d494a603143e8fc89.jpg

And here's how I'd like it to look. This is how a Kenwood head unit displays the artwork for the same song/file. You'll see it's doing the same effect with blurring the album artwork for the background but it applies a shade over the entire thing:

20220908_164635.jpg.90783cd74241b6603e6077d145b33006.jpg

@flyingdutchman Are you referring to "Colour background options" -> "Track, Album and Artist text background color"? I did find that, but I don't care for the look. I was looking for a way to match the screenshot I provided of the Kenwood display...ideally placing maybe a 5-10% shade over the entire background album art blur so that it's consistent and the text is always perfectly legible. Is there a way to do that? I think the primary reason I don't like the background color of the artist/track text is because enlarging the text causes the background of the text to enlarge, overlap each other, and run into the system bar at the top (with clock and notification icons). Regardless, in general I prefer to not have a shading just behind the text...it just doesn't look as clean to me.

I did try the different car modes under "Miscellaneous Options" -> "Landscape Options". None of those address this issue, and I'm also not really a fan of the car modes. I really like the stock Poweramp look with all the information it provides and the layout and options, while adding your skin to make some minor tweaks to make it easier to read/navigate and remove what I don't want. While I understand the draw to some, I have nice 7" screen and don't want to reduce it down to the look and feel of Android Auto...I want to take advantage of the real estate. I could just use Android Auto if I liked that look :)

Oh OK, nice. Thanks for looking into that if that would be an additional feature.

BTW - Great work on this skin, and well worth the additional price on top of Poweramp. The level of customization is insane. I'm 90% of the way in dialing in my configuration and then I'll be installing this head unit into my car. Still playing around with some minute details.

While on the topic, there are a few other items I'd like to see if they're possible to do. If not, I'd like to add them as feature suggestions. And if there's an official way to submit feature suggestions, please advise.

1. Is there any flexibility in adding/manipulating/removing tag information from the main screen? Referencing the screenshots of my layout, it currently has "<Artist> - <Album>" on the first line, then "<TrackName>" on the second line. Can I split this up and do "<Artist>" on the first line, "<Album>", on the second line, and "<TrackName>" on a 3rd line? Also wondering if it's possible to add other tag information such as <Year>. I'd love to be able to break out the text and use up some of that free space on my screen.
  2. The area that the artist/album/track text occupies I'm going to call a container for the sake of this question. Is it possible to move or resize the container for this text? When I have a long track name that scrolls, the scroll stops before the last character is visible. It's like the container is actually stretching off the screen. Pictures below of the text area and how it looks when it finishes scrolling, as well as a picture from the track list so you can see the full track name. The screen resolution of this head unit is 1024x600. The Album/Artist font size was enlarged to 15.0. If I drop that down to 12.0 it sits static without scrolling but still has the "r)" still cut off.

20220909_091320.jpg.68f118a52f0aa14983275397869a84ae.jpg20220909_091336.jpg.a13648f43d849e7da77917e857ba1e35.jpg

Edited by slizzap

@slizzap on point 1, no, Poweramp supplies this text, there are many posts/ requests on separating the elements

On point 2

You are probably correct, the field may well extend beyond the boundaries. I can verify this.

Just had a look at setting an alpha value for the albumart artifact but this attribute is not available so it is not possible afaik.

I can remember the exact term, but I recall in the sdk something about either a background blur or background overlay. If this is enabled, you can essentially create a layer that covers the album art background, and use a solid or gradient blur, and depending on the 0%-100% intensity can be virtually nothing to full coverage. I assume this can also be any colour as well.

I'm not sure if this would be related to the skin or Poweramp, but here goes...

Regarding the ability to swipe the screen left/right to change tracks, is it possible to narrow the scope of where you swipe or disable it entirely? It's already happened to me a couple times where I went to use the seek bar to move to a specific part of the song and instead it changed tracks on me. It would be nice to limit that behavior to only over the album art, but I wouldn't mind just being able to disable it completely since there are dedicated buttons for changing tracks forward and backward.

@flyingdutchman is correct. A skin can change the look of icons, screens, text, etc. But it cannot change the way the core app is coded. You would need to put this in as a Poweramp Feature Request. It's already in the Frequently Requested Features list though:

• Customise swipe/tap gestures on cover artwork, plus edit the functionality of the four icons below the cover area [ LINK1  LINK2 ]

Andre.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to separately control the screen elements when in split screen mode? Screenshots below...you'll see what full screen looks like vs split screen where Poweramp is now just using half the screen. It would be helpful to be able to move or remove certain elements like the track counter that now covers up the track name, or even have the album artwork simply shrink in size rather than get cropped.

Full screen view:

20220929_204407.jpg.727d102ec3d39db9abc89d49dc496e78.jpg

Split screen view:

20220929_204349.jpg.7eaf41edc687af77ece0184a312264df.jpg

6 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@slizzap i do not have a split screen to experiment but have you tried to reduce albumart size? As for overlapping elements, you can hide almost everything

I wasn't aware there was a way to reduce album art size, and I know I've looked for that in the past. Where is that located?

I am aware I can hide almost everything. That aspect is dialed in. A better way to ask my question is: can I control hiding elements separately for full screen and split screen? I would only want to hide the track counter element if it was split screen because of the way it's covering the track name.

Thanks.

I assume that  using split screen effectively appears to each app as basically having a square ratio screen, which has never been an ideal display format for PA's layout.

YAPS artwork scaling controls are in YAPS Settings=>Albumart Options=>Album Art Rotation & Scaling.

Andre

11 hours ago, slizzap said:

Is there a way to separately control the screen elements when in split screen mode? Screenshots below...you'll see what full screen looks like vs split screen where Poweramp is now just using half the screen. It would be helpful to be able to move or remove certain elements like the track counter that now covers up the track name, or even have the album artwork simply shrink in size rather than get cropped.

Full screen view:

20220929_204407.jpg.727d102ec3d39db9abc89d49dc496e78.jpg

Split screen view:

20220929_204349.jpg.7eaf41edc687af77ece0184a312264df.jpg

One of the challenges here is how the screen ratios changes. On a standard car radio, most manufacturers are using a 16:9 ratio display up to 7" in diagonal. In terms of how Poweramp sees this, it is either 16:9 landscape, or if you could turn that headunit it would be 9:16. But in landscape split screen mode, the OS forces both apps back to portrait mode, so the effective ratio becomes 8:9. So unless there is a way to have three different resolutions set up by the skin, I don't think there is an ideal solution here.

@flyingdutchman Is there any way for your skin to recognize the difference between standard portrait mode, and the split screen version? Does the OS send some flag back to identify this mode? Or does this require another base design using that ratio for Yaps to follow and use a different layout?

@MotleyG I am sure there must be a way.

Android apps will detect the device dimensions and work out which dimensions to use. My app Yaps has many dimension definitions to manage layouts for different devices. 

For example,

for a device with  smallest width 380dpi xhdpi ( actual dimensions file name: sw380-xhdpi)

<dimen name="yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_Maxheight">50dp</dimen>
<dimen name="yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_margin_bottom">0dp</dimen>
<dimen name="yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_margin_top">0dp</dimen>
<dimen name="yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_margin_left">0dp</dimen>
<dimen name="yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_margin_right">0dp</dimen>

is used when defining 

<style name="TopWaveseek" parent="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:TopWaveseek">
    <item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_maxHeight">@dimen/yaps_TopWaveseekLayout_Maxheight</item>
</style>

below a screenshot of some of those dimension files. There are definitions for different resolutions, including landscape. 

For a split screen configuration there will be a similar definition. If this is a Samsung phone then  this is model may be available in their test lab. If so then I can test how things behave

image.png.86a98bd9be06087b806610255bd80dab.png

57 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@MotleyG I am sure there must be a way.

Android apps will detect the device dimensions and work out which dimensions to use. My app Yaps has many dimension definitions to manage layouts for different devices. 

For example,

for a device with  smallest width 380dpi xhdpi ( actual dimensions file name: sw380-xhdpi)

For a split screen configuration there will be a similar definition. If this is a Samsung phone then  this is model may be available in their test lab. If so then I can test how things behave

I don't think the device here is a Samsung, but similar devices would use a 480p screen. If it truly is 16:9 aspect, then the actual width would be something like 853 or close to that. So in split screen, you would have a portrait size of 426x480, or close to that. I don't know if there are standard ratios for split screen in this case.

The device I have is a Joying 7" head unit with Android 10 (model # JY-UQ128N4G). It has a 7" display with 1024x600 resolution. So going to split screen would likely put Poweramp into 512x600 resolution, or almost square ratio as Andre stated.

Here are screenshots of the default Poweramp display in normal view and split-screen view:

20221001_073438.jpg.715f3471caf4c3764b63cdc575394772.jpg20221001_073605.jpg.85d83c67a7da73589e7b08a18c7faec9.jpg

In the default Poweramp skin view you'll see the artwork is just shrunk down and it isn't cropped.

I played around with the settings in Albumart Options -> Album Art Rotation And Scaling. I turned on that mode and played around with the settings there. Of the 5 settings, the last 2 settings were the only 2 that seemed applicable for this issue.

• Scale album art: I could not figure out what this setting is doing. I set this to the lowest and highest values and I could not see a change in any view, normal or split-screen.
  • Scale album art when playing: This setting shrunk/enlarged the album art. I turned this down from 1 -> .9 which slightly shrunk the artwork and made a bit of a border around it, which makes the view a bit nicer in normal view IMO. However, it had zero impact on the split screen mode. (Side note: Making this changed moved the top of the album art down, and is no longer aligned with the track/title text to the right. Is there a setting to move that text down so I could align it?)

For all settings modified, the behavior of split-screen remained unchanged. The artwork was still cropped rather than shrunk down.

Let me know if there are any other details I can provide that would be helpful.

Thanks.