New to Poweramp: Want to see list of next tracks when I shuffle a category

C2O

I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but just got Poweramp coming from Shuttle. I would like to be able to see the list of songs, separate from the library list, that are in my "queue" for next songs and be able to rearrange them.

Also I was looking around this forum here and saw "smart playlist via 3rd party plugin" under the TODO/list. First could someone point me to a resource where I could learn how 3rd Party plugins work with Poweramp, and what they would look like. Second is their any other way to get smart playlists in power amp?

There is an external third-party app called New Playlist Manager which lets you manipulate Poweramp's (and general M3U) playlists, and do some other neat things such as saving ratings, embedding them to files, etc.

If you have some songs Queued (i.e. you have used the ">> Queue" icon to set up a temporary list of songs which breaks away from the normal Album/Folder/etc listening order) then in the Library > Queue category you can view the current list of queued songs, in the order that they will be played. By default this is the order you added them, but if you want to randomise that sequence simply tap the three-dots menu icon > Re-sort > Shuffle. You can do the same with Playlists.

To see the currently playing category (e.g. Queue, Playlist, Album, Folder, All Songs, etc) from the main Player screen, just tap on the artwork area.

Only the Queue and Playlists can be permanently re-ordered, the other category types are played based on their List Options > Sort Order, potentially modified by whether the Shuffle icon is turned on in the Player screen.

Andre

45 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There is an external third-party app called New Playlist Manager which lets you manipulate Poweramp's (and general M3U) playlists, and do some other neat things such as saving ratings, embedding them to files, etc.

If you have some songs Queued (i.e. you have used the ">> Queue" icon to set up a temporary list of songs which breaks away from the normal Album/Folder/etc listening order) then in the Library > Queue category you can view the current list of queued songs, in the order that they will be played. By default this is the order you added them, but if you want to randomise that sequence simply tap the three-dots menu icon > Re-sort > Shuffle. You can do the same with Playlists.

To see the currently playing category (e.g. Queue, Playlist, Album, Folder, All Songs, etc) from the main Player screen, just tap on the artwork area.

Only the Queue and Playlists can be permanently re-ordered, the other category types are played based on their List Options > Sort Order, potentially modified by whether the Shuffle icon is turned on in the Player screen.

Andre

@andrewilley Thanks for the reply, I'll look into New Playlist Manager. It seems like it could be helpful. However I think you misunderstood what I meant because I mentioned queue.  So let me try to explain in another way.

Say I decide to play a playlist in Poweramp. I go to my playlists select a playlist then click the shuffle icon. Poweramp then starts playing my playlist in a random order. So far so good. Poweramp even lets me see how far I am in the randomized playlist by showing a ##/## between the repeat and snooze buttons. So say I have a 9 song playlist and I've listened to 5 songs, Poweramp will show 5/9. Now here is were I can't find the feature I'm looking for. Is there any way to see both the names and order of the last 4 songs in the shuffled play. And if possible rearrange the order of the shuffle. The numbering 5/9 tells me that Poweramp keeps track of the order somewhere, so again is their anyway I can interact with the order?

Ah, I see what you mean. No, when Shuffling normal playback categories there isn't a way to easily view full playback history or next-planned tracks, nor can you manually move specific tracks. You can skip forward and backward through the planned shuffled tracks with the >> and << buttons, but not see the internal ordering in a list layout.

As I mentioned earlier, you can do what you want with either Playlists or Queue playback though - but only if you use the Re-sort option that I mentioned, which which may not be exactly what you want as it permanently randomises the list in question, so you'd lose any previously intended ordering of the list. You can also move tracks up and down the lists manually, but again that makes a permanent change to the list.

There is a "sort-of" answer to your question though, which I think was put in place as a partial response to previous similar feature requests a while ago. In the List Options screen for any given Category's songs list, one of the sorting options in the menu is 'By Shuffle Order'. This allows you to view that particular category's list in the random order used if you enable the Shuffle icon on the player screen. This is most useful if you are using the All Songs category, in which case you can see the whole list in its shuffled order (forward and backward) when you tap on the album art in the player screen. You can't adjust that order though, other than by doing a re-shuffle.

I'm going to move this thread from Chatter to the Feature Requests area, as I agree it would be really nice to have some sort of 'History' feature in the Player Screen's menu (alongside Folder/Album/Artist) which would open a view showing all the previously played and upcoming tracks for the current session using a simple scrollable flat list format.

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Ah, I see what you mean. No, when Shuffling normal playback categories there isn't a way to easily view full playback history or next-planned tracks, nor can you manually move specific tracks. You can skip forward and backward through the planned shuffled tracks with the >> and << buttons, but not see the internal ordering in a list layout.

As I mentioned earlier, you can do what you want with either Playlists or Queue playback though - but only if you use the Re-sort option that I mentioned, which which may not be exactly what you want as it permanently randomises the list in question, so you'd lose any previously intended ordering of the list. You can also move tracks up and down the lists manually, but again that makes a permanent change to the list.

There is a "sort-of" answer to your question though, which I think was put in place as a partial response to previous similar feature requests a while ago. In the List Options screen for any given Category's songs list, one of the sorting options in the menu is 'By Shuffle Order'. This allows you to view that particular category's list in the random order used if you enable the Shuffle icon on the player screen. This is most useful if you are using the All Songs category, in which case you can see the whole list in its shuffled order (forward and backward) when you tap on the album art in the player screen. You can't adjust that order though, other than by doing a re-shuffle.

I'm going to move this thread from Chatter to the Feature Requests area, as I agree it would be really nice to have some sort of 'History' feature in the Player Screen's menu (alongside Folder/Album/Artist) which would open a view showing all the previously played and upcoming tracks for the current session using a simple scrollable flat list format.

Andre

Thanks for the clear and helpful answer mate, and thanks for moving this to feature request too. 

5 minutes ago, Someguyonline said:

I believe this is already implemented. Look for "Recently Played" in library. 

No, that's something different. This thread is about being able to scroll back and forth through the current playback session, regardless of what Category or Shuffle mode you are using.

Andre

Hi,

I'm trying Poweramp great app :) I'm on the trial version, and that playlist missing feature is the only reason why I didn't buy the full version.

When playing in shuffle, a little button to show current playlist in play order would be so nice ! When clicking on the bottom text, I can see the next song (see the screenshot), but not the entire current playlist.

Please implement that feature :)

Thanks a lot!

After that, I'll sure buy it ;)

Raph

Screenshot_20201121_212752.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yeah +1 for me on this. I literally just downloaded the trial in a concerted effort to move away from both Rocket Player and Spotify, and it won't be happening now. I'm really surprised I can't just be on the main player screen (like from the user above) and just like, swipe down and see what songs have played an hour or even 2 minutes ago, and what songs are up next (and also be able to easily reorder them).

I'm pretty sure even Zunes had this feature, if I remember correctly. What a shame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 5:42 PM, andrewilley said:

it would be really nice to have some sort of 'History' feature in the Player Screen's menu (alongside Folder/Album/Artist) which would open a view showing all the previously played and upcoming tracks for the current session using a simple scrollable flat list format.

+1 on this.

Archived