Ability to read Musicbee ratings

bkev

Hi,

Firstly, I love Poweramp and I've been using it for a long time.

I've started to use Musicbee on my PC to organise my music and I've started rating it too. I've noticed though that Poweramp doesn't seem to be able to read these tags.

I have checked with Poweramp and tagging tools and I can see that Musicbee seems to be writing to an extended tag called "POPULARIMETER". 

Is there anyway that Poweramp can read this info? I know there is another player in the app store that is able to, so I was wondering if it is an option I've missed or just something Poweramp can't do? 

Thanks.

Poweramp does not read or write the POPM tag at the moment. It is a part of the ID3 tag spec, but it does tend to get interpreted somewhat liberally between different programs, which I assume is why Max chose not to support it.

There are third-party apps such as New Playlist Manager which can access the PA database, and copy to or from POPM tag data, though.

Andre

Thanks for the info.

I did try "New Playlist Manager" but it seemed to keep on failing when it was trying to import the ratings so I gave up on it!

It's a shame it's isn't a proper standard as it would be useful to have things like ratings (and possibly play counts/dates etc) synced between devices.

POPM is meant to be a standard, but implementation has never been very consistent. It's getting better these days though. Part of the issue is that the tag definition includes a user identifier and a play count too, rather than just a pure rating.

If some of your files are crashing NPM, it might be worth sending examples to the author, @flyingdutchman , for checking.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 7:21 AM, andrewilley said:

POPM is meant to be a standard, but implementation has never been very consistent. It's getting better these days though. Part of the issue is that the tag definition includes a user identifier and a play count too, rather than just a pure rating.

If some of your files are crashing NPM, it might be worth sending examples to the author, @flyingdutchman , for checking.

Andre

the app developer stated Android 10 broke r/w permissions

Archived