• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, spaceguybob said:

this would be cool but unlikely.

unless there was an open source standard for eq files that i don't know about

Check the release notes if you don't beleive me ;-). 

2.16.0: * New: - Frequency Response Correction DSP (Playback - DSP Effect): to correct FR of the output device, collection of 5000+ AutoEq presets for 2500+ headphones for flattening their FR. * Improved:

3 hours ago, hhasert said:

Check the release notes if you don't beleive me ;-). 

2.16.0: * New: - Frequency Response Correction DSP (Playback - DSP Effect): to correct FR of the output device, collection of 5000+ AutoEq presets for 2500+ headphones for flattening their FR. * Improved:

link to where that is?

I just installed neutron player after reading this and I must say it really works & I can clearly feel the difference but to be honest sound wise it's not that great as far as I can tell. Is there any additional steps or setup that I'm missing out. Because Poweramp sounds way better than this atleast to me. The loudness bass everything is 10 times lower than Poweramp. But it does change the actual sound signature of the headphones (please note I didn't find actual preset for my headphone yet will try again later)

I do have full version of neutron player & Sony mdr xb920 headphone any suggestions would be appreciated I'm asking this because of curiosity.

Would love to see it in Poweramp if it really works

3 hours ago, Prosenjit said:

I just installed neutron player after reading this and I must say it really works & I can clearly feel the difference but to be honest sound wise it's not that great as far as I can tell. Is there any additional steps or setup that I'm missing out. Because Poweramp sounds way better than this atleast to me. The loudness bass everything is 10 times lower than Poweramp. But it does change the actual sound signature of the headphones (please note I didn't find actual preset for my headphone yet will try again later)

I do have full version of neutron player & Sony mdr xb920 headphone any suggestions would be appreciated I'm asking this because of curiosity.

It may be because neutron automatically applies the preamp needed, whereas in Poweramp you need to do all the eq'ing manually. That's why it sounds way lower. 

Preamp is needed, if its not used the eq can produce clipping and/or lower the dynamic range (even with a limiter).  N

10 hours ago, Prosenjit said:

The thing is, the headphones must be measured by a lab to calculate the EQ profile. I do not see yours in the list of tested devices. If you can find a good measurement of it, you could calculate it yourself using AutoEq (or ask the author of the tooling to include it), but the author of that can only base his work on the labs like rtings, oratory etc.

You can try another mdr headphone with comparable specs to see if you like it, but apart from the excessive base Sony loves there might be some things to tweak here and there. The beauty of the Neutron Approach is that you can define your own preset based on a comparable one and use it the same as a AutoEQ pre-defined one. 

To be honest, Poweramp is a lot easier to operate than Neutron, which currently has better equaliser options for those that want to squeeze everything out of their equipment. That is why I proposed to add AutoEQ settings to Poweramp for those fortunate enough to own a headphone in the measured list without going through the hassle of setting everything manually. On Neutron I was able to set my headphone profile before the update by editting the xml file with settings, not something I see the average user execute with confidence (although it is not that hard if you have some experience with Android).  

Edited by hhasert

16 hours ago, astr0 said:

It may be because neutron automatically applies the preamp needed, whereas in Poweramp you need to do all the eq'ing manually. That's why it sounds way lower. 

Preamp is needed, if its not used the eq can produce clipping and/or lower the dynamic range (even with a limiter).  N

I agree the EQ on Neutron is horrible without preamp it's unusable because the amount of distortion it introduces, again with preamp the overall loudness decrease a lot to compensate that may be I need a dedicated amp which I don't have. I was curious to know how autoEq impact the overall sound quality but sadly my headphone is not listed I tried several others but the results are pretty much average I would say. Anyway thanks for your help

10 hours ago, hhasert said:

The thing is, the headphones must be measured by a lab to calculate the EQ profile. I do not see yours in the list of tested devices. If you can find a good measurement of it, you could calculate it yourself using AutoEq (or ask the author of the tooling to include it), but the author of that can only base his work on the labs like rtings, oratory etc.

You can try another mdr headphone with comparable specs to see if you like it, but apart from the excessive base Sony loves there might be some things to tweak here and there. The beauty of the Neutron Approach is that you can define your own preset based on a comparable one and use it the same as a AutoEQ pre-defined one. 

To be honest, Poweramp is a lot easier to operate than Neutron, which currently has better equaliser options for those that want to squeeze everything out of their equipment. That is why I proposed to add AutoEQ settings to Poweramp for those fortunate enough to own a headphone in the measured list without going through the hassle of setting everything manually. On Neutron I was able to set my headphone profile before the update by editting the xml file with settings, not something I see the average user execute with confidence (although it is not that hard if you have some experience with Android).  

I agree I'm not an audiophile or big audio known person and to be honest I'm not that great at tweaking advance equalisers. That's why I asked if I missed something because The Earphones/headphones I own doesn't need that much of efforts to get the best sound. Neutron is still the same garbage that I have bought years ago on my S3 only capable of producing distorted high frequencies lol. I'm just an average listener If anything sounds close to my good old Sony mini hi-fi shelf system then I'm satisfied. Which was easy to achieve in the past with sound mods even Poweramp V2 was capable enough. After introduction of Poweramp v3 alpha I completely rely on Poweramp because it is more capable than audio mods & everything without having root/custom roms I hate buggy & broken roms/mods

Currently I only use xb 920 as my daily driver which is not listed but I also have twinwoofers, Sony xb 90ex will test them later

If results are not satisfying I'm gonna uninstall this from my phone

Anyway thanks for your reply appreciate it

4 hours ago, Prosenjit said:

I agree I'm not an audiophile or big audio known person and to be honest I'm not that great at tweaking advance equalisers. That's why I asked if I missed something because The Earphones/headphones I own doesn't need that much of efforts to get the best sound. Neutron is still the same garbage that I have bought years ago on my S3 only capable of producing distorted high frequencies lol. I'm just an average listener If anything sounds close to my good old Sony mini hi-fi shelf system then I'm satisfied. Which was easy to achieve in the past with sound mods even Poweramp V2 was capable enough. After introduction of Poweramp v3 alpha I completely rely on Poweramp because it is more capable than audio mods & everything without having root/custom roms I hate buggy & broken roms/mods

Currently I only use xb 920 as my daily driver which is not listed but I also have twinwoofers, Sony xb 90ex will test them later

If results are not satisfying I'm gonna uninstall this from my phone

Anyway thanks for your reply appreciate it

Well, Neutron is a great player and it has pre-amp but the user interface takes some  *cough* getting used to. It needs more study to do things, but I must say in audio quality I hardly see a difference other than the great equaliser (and the autoeq feature that works for my Sony WH- 1000XM3). I was tinkering a lot to get the headphones more natural before discovering AutoEQ, I really think Sony over appreciates bass ;-). 

Edited by hhasert

53 minutes ago, hhasert said:

Well, Neutron is a great player and it has pre-amp but the user interface takes some  *cough* getting used to. It needs more study to do things, but I must say in audio quality I hardly see a difference other than the great equaliser (and the autoeq feature that works for my Sony WH- 1000XM3). I was tinkering a lot to get the headphones more natural before discovering AutoEQ, I really think Sony over appreciates bass ;-). 

Can't possibly be as much of a love of bass as Beats.

I guess one of the problems of a pre-defined list based approach is that the supplied adjustments will try to calibrate your headphones to approximate a clean, natural, flat audio response curve. But that's not always what people actually want as it can sound thin and uninteresting - and it's certainly not what many headphone manufacturers try to deliver (crank up the bass).

Andre

26 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I guess one of the problems of a pre-defined list based approach is that the supplied adjustments will try to calibrate your headphones to approximate a clean, natural, flat audio response curve. But that's not always what people actually want as it can sound thin and uninteresting - and it's certainly not what many headphone manufacturers try to deliver (crank up the bass).

Andre

True, that is why you flatten it first and then color it using the equaliser. Briliant solution since buying a new headphone will just use a new profile to flatten it and keep your personal sound preferences equal. But seriously, the sony WH-1000XM3 drowns the mids in the bass without some equalising and I find the Autoeq 'harman kardon' settings an excellent basis to start coloring the music. Àctually the bass is pretty nice in the harmon kardon setting, but some music styles I give a little umph in the equaliser, most styles are perfect to my ears though, not an effect I can easily set myself based on listening and guessing.

Edited by hhasert

I think SoundID by Sonarworks does what the guy above said, quality wise is waaaaaaaaay better than Wavelet and it actually flattens your frequency response instead on relying on the Harman curves.

The main issues with SoundID is being kind of unstable and switching between profiles can take you a while because the app is HEAVY. And, of course, being limited on profiles available, I think they have fewer than 600 profiles or so.

The good thing is that you can personalize the sound of your headphones at a true deep level, since it flattens first and you can apply a parametric EQ over it.

I used it a little bit but still is kind of unstable and, as I said before, changing between profiles can take you a while, instead of being almost instantaneous as Poweramp built-in EQ or Wavelet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 11:23 PM, maxmp said:

Thanks for the request. It’s not hard to import such database, but data copyright/license is not clear. I will try to contact AutoEQ devs and clear this.

Max, were you able to clear the licensing issue? Or is there something else blocking the implementation?

1 minute ago, Someguyonline said:

were you able to clear the licensing issue?

There is no licencing issue as far as I know, the AutoEQ project headset database is meant to be accessible to anyone who wants to use it, there is no commercial licencing system. Once PA supports parametric equalisation it ought to be relatively straight-forward to create an interface that either loads pre-saved data from a CSV file, or even scrapes it directly from the web (a bit harder, not sure if they provide a neat API or not).

It's all down to how Max prioritises this sort of slightly esoteric feature though, there are a lot of other requests to get though too.

Andre