Poweramp is not caching embedded covers

theruleof4

Hi guys, I'm using build 302 with Android 10 and I'm having a problem, Poweramp is not keeping saved my cover art to show, it loads the covers for a few albums, but when I close the app or roll down to see other albums, all covers are gone. I choose to not download the covers because all my covers are embedded and everything is fine, other players can recognize normally but I don't know what's happening. I've checked the data folder (I believe is there where the cache is saved) and all folders are empties.

Thanks.

As far as I know, Poweramp does not cache embedded artwork to device storage, covers are read from audio files and displayed on-the-fly when you open each view. If you do have any downloaded art (automatic or manual selection) that will be cached to internal device storage in Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art/ or  Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/selected_aa/ . Note the underscore before 'com'.

Are you saying that you see no artwork at all, or that covers gets re-loaded each time you navigate and scroll through a category view? You haven't accidentally enabled Settings > Album Art > Force Default Image have you?

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As far as I know, Poweramp does not cache embedded artwork to device storage, covers are read from audio files and displayed on-the-fly when you open each view. If you do have any downloaded art (automatic or manual selection) that will be cached to internal device storage in Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art/ or  Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/selected_aa/ . Note the underscore before 'com'.

Are you saying that you see no artwork at all, or that covers gets re-loaded each time you navigate and scroll through a category view? You haven't accidentally enabled Settings > Album Art > Force Default Image have you?

Andre

Yes, I'm not downloading any covers, happens as you said  the covers gets re-loaded each time I navigate or re-open the app. This force default option is not enabled

1 hour ago, theruleof4 said:

Yes, I'm not downloading any covers, happens as you said  the covers gets re-loaded each time I navigate or re-open the app

So the covers do display, but they take a second or two to load when you open a folder/album/etc? That's what I would expect to happen - as I said, embedded images are not cached, they are read from files on-the-fly.

Andre

What's the size of your embedded images? I guess you might run into problems if you have huge embedded files as the cover images has to be read out of the mp3 files one by one. My embedded album art is mostly 600x600 and my old Xcover 3 with 9000+ tracks on a SD card is pretty "snappy", displays the images more or less instantly. I would say it takes less than a second to display all the covers once I stop scrolling.

PA does cache loaded embedded images during each session, so once you've initially scrolled down and the images have been loaded from the audio files, you can scroll back up again and the covers are displayed instantly.

Of course as @6b6561 has mentioned, the larger the image data, and the slower the storage access, the longer it will take. I've been gradually migrating my poorer (300x300 ish) cover images to 1,000x1,000, but I guess most of my files are still around 600x600. I also try to keep the absolute data sizes fairly low, ideally no more than around 100k-200k per image and many of them smaller than that.

Here's a couple of screen recordings to show how they load on my device (a mid-range Samsung Galaxy A70 with files stored on SD Card). The Doctor Who images are fairly normal 600x600 JPGs at 71Kb and load almost instantly, but the ELO Discovery ones are for some reason pretty ludicrous at 1500x1500 at 2.3Mb (I tried to find an excessive example) and are obviously a bit slower, but still not what I would consider a problem. Revisiting these same albums again in the same session is instant.

Andre

Archived