Jump to content

Import playlist issues


Recommended Posts

Hello.  I have Poweramp installed on my Android phone and I created several playlists.  I recently installed Poweramp on my Android auto head unit in my vehicle.  I put all my music files in the root directory of a mini SD card, and Poweramp had no trouble finding them.  I exported the playlists from my phone, into a folder which I have titled "Playlists" which also resides in the root directory of the same SD card.  Here's my problem.  Using my file explorer, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where my playlist files need to go in order to be seen by the Poweramp app in my vehicle.   There is no "import playlists" option in Poweramp, so I am sort of stuck.  I even tried creating a new playlist in my car Poweramp version, just to see where the file is placed, but cannot seem to find that, either.  Any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this actually a question about the Legacy v2 version of Poweramp (build 588 or lower) as that is the forum you have posted in? V2 was a bit more specific about the exact formatting of playlists and the directory structures they use to point to song files, but the .M3U playlists themselves should still be scanned into the Library even if the contained songs cannot be found.

Check that the location(s) where you have your music files and your .M3U playlist files stored is enabled (ticked) in Settings > Library > Music Folders. Then do a Full Rescan to make sure everything has been picked up.

On PA v2, the entries in playlist files must point to the correct nested folders structure to find the files (which may not match with the new file system layout on your new device).

On PA v3, searching is a bit more flexible and audio files are matched based on their exact filename and their first-level containing folder. e.g. it would try to match a file called Sunday Girl.mp3 in a folder called Parallel Lines, regardless of where that folder is located in your music directory tree (maybe in /Music/Artists/Blondie/ for example). 

Andre

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the replies and my apologies for evidently posting in the wrong V2 forum.  I do in fact, have V3 on both devices, and even though I re-scanned as instructed above, making sure the playlists folder was checked and the playlists were indeed picked up, when I select a playlist to use, I get the error message "doesn't look like anything to me".  So...  I guess we're getting closer, maybe, but still can't get the playlists to function.  I should note that in my phone, where everything works properly, I see album art associated with the various playlists, but in my vehicle, there is none, I guess because it seems the playlists are not actually finding the songs they're looking for? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I inadvertently posted my playlist import question in the Legacy V2 forum, so to get back on the right track, I'll pose my question here:  Here's the setup:  I am running V3 of Poweramp on both my Android phone and on my Android HU in my vehicle.  I exported my playlists from the phone, to a file folder "Playlists" and copied that folder and its contents to the SD card in the vehicle, along with my entire music library.  I have successfully scanned all song files and the playlists into the Poweramp in the vehicle.  The problem I am having now, is that the playlists, while appearing in the playlist directory, are not linking to the songs in the library.  When I select one of my playlists in the vehicle, I get the error message "Doesn't look like anything to me"  I believe I noticed that the files all have an .m3u8 extension.  How can I change the "doesn't look like anything to me" into "here's your songs, enjoy your playlist"!  😉 ??  Oh, and BTW, none of my playlists are single character in name.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

(comments in other threads merged into one topic)

So the playlists have scanned correctly and show in Poweramp's 'Playlists' category, but each one shows no songs inside when you click on it? That normally means PA hasn't find the referenced music files that the playlist points to.

Playlists (either .M3U or .M3U8 files) are simple text files, and just consist of a number of separate lines each containing the folder and filename details for a song. That named song file must exist on your new device, in the same folder, and have been scanned into the Library database.

Open one of your playlist files in a regular text editor and see what it contains. If it was exported from Poweramp it should look something like this:

D0D8-84ED/Music/Blondie/Parallel Lines/Sunday Girl.mp3
D0D8-84ED/Music/Blondie/Parallel Lines/Heart of Glass.mp3

and so on...

The  D0D8-84ED/Music/Blondie/ section is not checked by PA (as that part of the path will change when copied between different systems) but there must be scanned files Sunday Girl.mp3 and Heart of Glass.mp3 contained in a folder called Parallel Lines. If all that seems OK,  you could try going into the Playlists category and from the three-dots menu, select 'Rescan/Resolve Playlists'.

Andre

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...