Playlist cover image default to image in folder instead first song's cover

skyvory

Currently, the cover image of playlist is decided by the first song in the playlist which has a cover.

There's an option to change each playlist's cover, but it's not intuitive and requires repetitive steps to change a lot of playlists. Moreover, if something happens and the playlist needs to be recreated for some reason, you have to pick custom image again for the playlist in Poweramp, which is quite time-consuming for such trivial task.

Maybe like folder's cover image where it defaults to cover.jpg/.png, Powerammp could default to something like playlistname.jpg or simply pick cover.jpg in the same folder as the .m3u8 file.

• 5 months later...

I switched phones and ran into this today where I need to manually set covers on ~90 different playlists. I have directories that have only the .m3u8 and the cover.jpg file, and it would be great if Poweramp used that cover file automatically.

13 hours ago, focus said:

I have directories that have only the .m3u8 and the cover.jpg file

Unfortunately that's not very common, many people would have a bunch of .M3U files in one place rather than them all being in separate folders.

I suspect something could be done in the future by looking for sidecar files in the same folder though - so a playlist called abcd.m3u8 could look for a cover image from a file called abcd.jpg in the same folder.

Andre

There is a workaround in the meantime by the way, by saving your own image files directly into Poweramp's internal image cache folders.

Any Playlist images that you manually select in Poweramp are stored in the folder /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/selected_playlist/  (note the underscore before 'com', which is present on Android 10 or earlier, but not for new Android 11+ installations).

The image filename protocol is the full playlist name, including its extension if it is file-based, followed by .jpg. Many special characters other than $, dash, comma and dot (so things like brackets, &, %, semicolon, etc) need to be replaced by underscores. Have a look in the folder for anything that you've already changed in order to get an idea of how the filenames should to be formatted.

Once you've saved any new image files in there, fully close and reopen Poweramp to get it to detect and start using the new content. Or you could do a Full Rescan, but that's a bit excessive.

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

There is a workaround in the meantime by the way, by saving your own image files directly into Poweramp's internal image cache folders.

Any Playlist images that you manually select in Poweramp are stored in the folder /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/selected_playlist/  (note the underscore before 'com', which is present on Android 10 or earlier, but not for new Android 11+ installations).

The image filename protocol is the full playlist name, including its extension if it is file-based, followed by .jpg. Many special characters other than $, dash, comma and dot (so things like brackets, &, %, semicolon, etc) need to be replaced by underscores. Have a look in the folder for anything that you've already changed in order to get an idea of how the filenames should to be formatted.

Once you've saved any new image files in there, fully close and reopen Poweramp to get it to detect and start using the new content. Or you could do a Full Rescan, but that's a bit excessive.

Andre

That is helpful! I can probably set something up so that I do not need to add manually all the covers. Thank you.

It's '/Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/selected_playlist/' for me.

Tried the suggested workaround and found it nice that it could detect playlistname.m3u8.jpg and automatically apply it as playlist cover. The only problem is when I have a new playlist (where the folder and music files sync automatically from PC via Resilio), then I have to copy the new cover image to 'selected_playlist' folder, which still require a little extra effort imo.

Luckily I found an almost perfect workaround for me, especially since I often burn my playlist for car stereo. It's Poweramp capability to create virtual folder from .cue file. In each folder, I only have one playlist with the songs in it, complete with the cue file I create specifically for the playlist. Extra touches required if I want to browse what's inside the playlist virtual folder (which is nested in folders hierarchy), but it works well with cover.png cover image I want and satisfied with it.

The most amazing part of Poweramp is that it could understand the format written in the .cue and pack the right file into the virtual folder. In my case, it's .wav (eg. FILE "01 Flower Gown.wav" WAVE) in the .cue while the file in the folder is actually in mp3 (eg. 01 Flower Gown.mp3), yet the app doesn't have trouble recognizing it.

Feature to set a certain folder as default for Home category button and it would be perfect.

Archived