Chromecast not working properly anymore

Thrym

Hello,

first of all, many thanks for this awesome player, i enjoy it every day. But a couple of days ago i wanted to use Chromecast again but now i'm having issues while 2 weeks ago everything was working fine. I can cast but the the screen stays black without albumart, Poweramp pauses the music, when i press play nothing happens, swiping to the next song works, volume increase works but if i press play the volume drops again. I have tried this with my current Chromecast 3 Ultra, Chromecast 1 and the built in Chromecast from my Onkyo AV Receiver. Chromecast works perfect with Netflix, Youtube etc... Only Poweramp fails. I also used mp3's without albumart.
Pics:
TV Screen when casting
Poweramp screen when casting 
Audio Engine 
Android 
Android Wife
I have a Samsung Note 9 with Android 10. Then i tried the phone from my wife, a Samsung Galaxy S9+ but with exactly the same results, casting from her phone was also working 2 weeks ago. I've also tried reinstalling the app, tried all the settings, used default settings, clean installs without previous settings etc. I also tried previous Poweramp versions, nothing worked. Then i took my older phone, a Samsung Note 3 with Android 5 and now i can cast to Chromecast again and everything works like it should.
So is there a issue with Android here, the kernel version maybe? I can't remember when i've last updated the phone and if it did update in these last 2 weeks, it's possible but i cant remember sadly. The only thing that i could try is resetting my phone but that's really a big hassle and since Poweramp casting also did not work on my wife's phone i don't think this will be the solution.

• Poweramp build number: V3-build882-arm64-play
  • your device model: Samsung Note 9 SM-N960F
  • your Android version: 10, see Android Pic
  • Original ROM

I already send logs on August 30th, at 15:20 and an email from thrym.nl but i've uploaded the log.

Regards & thanks for reading

poweramp_log.txt

Netflix and YouTube when streaming to Chromecast work rather differently to PA. With those apps, all your phone does is to tell the Chromecast where on the web the source material is located, and the Chromecast device finds it online and streams the material directly from the internet source. The phone itself doesn't do much once playback has been triggered.

Poweramp on the other hand streams the entire audio data stream using your phone as the source and the Chromecast device plays the data that the phone is sending. This is obviously a far more complex and data-heavy process, and updates to Android for example can definitely have an impact on how well it works.

@maxmp would need to have a look at the logs to see if there's anything obvious in this case, or he may need a fuller ADB-style log to dig deeper.

Andre

Thanks...
I have a faint recall that i've updated the phone in those 2 weeks, it was a very minor update that came rather fast after another update. I did another test with an older Note 4 from my wife with Android 6 on it, installed PA on it and casting worked. The only thing i can do now is just wait for a new PA version i guess... Luckily i have those other phones as spare for my music if i want to cast.

Arno

On my phone it suddenly works again but don't ask me how or how i've done it. But casting on my wife's phone is still having the same issue and i've tried the same settings as on my phone but this did now work. Installed fresh again etc, nothing. The cause is definitely not the Poweramp app but what is...

These 3 topics is the same issue btw:

Lol... and today casting stopped working again with same issue. No Android update, only some apps that were updated with Google Play. I removed these but this made no difference. I also installed some skins but removal also did not work. Yesterday everything worked.

Why is casting so buggy?

@maxmp

I give up, casting is just not working on my phone. I did several factory default resets but its not working. I did a complete new install, no restoring previous settings and apps. Also no apps from Samsung, i skipped it all. The only thing after configuring wifi is Google thats installing some updates and default apps but i cant stop that. 

When all this is done, the first thing i did was installing Poweramp. And casting was NOT working. Even after the phone has been totally reset. There is nothing more i can do...

I really hope you can fix this...

Thanks

Edited by Thrym

As this is a long thread, which started saying that album art was not showing, and you now say casting does not work at all - could you confirm exactly what happens when you try to cast to a given device? Does it connect but you hear no audio, or gives an error message, etc? And if it is fully repeatable, can you send a logfile of what happens when you try to play via Chromecast? (after it has just failed, go to Settings > Get Support > Send Log)

Andre

It will connect and i can cast but Poweramp immediately stops with playing and stay paused, the screen is black and there is no albumart. When i press play i can see the wave move for a bit but then it falls back to where it started like a very short loop. But there is just no music playing. , swiping to the next song works, the text is correct for the current song and the next song etc on the tv.
This is what i see on the tv: TV Screen when casting
And this is the Poweramp screen: Poweramp screen when casting not much to see here, just that it stops to play.
My wife's phone has the exact same casting problem. I have a Note 9 and she has a S9+.

I've attached the log.

Arno

log.txt

• 8 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 3:56 PM, Thrym said:

It will connect and i can cast but Poweramp immediately stops with playing and stay paused, the screen is black and there is no albumart. When i press play i can see the wave move for a bit but then it falls back to where it started like a very short loop. But there is just no music playing. , swiping to the next song works, the text is correct for the current song and the next song etc on the tv.
This is what i see on the tv: TV Screen when casting
And this is the Poweramp screen: Poweramp screen when casting not much to see here, just that it stops to play.
My wife's phone has the exact same casting problem. I have a Note 9 and she has a S9+.

I've attached the log.

Arno

log.txt 81.54 kB · 1 download

I am having the same issue on my LG v60. I initially got a few responses to my thread but now I'm being completely ignored by the admins which is very frustrating. Did you ever get it worked out ? I've been dealing with this for months and I'm basically unable to use all the speakers that I purchased specifically so I could keep using Poweramp. I'm about to leave a 1 star review on the play store and start looking for a new media player. 

14 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I am having the same issue on my LG v60. I initially got a few responses to my thread but now I'm being completely ignored by the admins which is very frustrating. Did you ever get it worked out ? I've been dealing with this for months and I'm basically unable to use all the speakers that I purchased specifically so I could keep using Poweramp. I'm about to leave a 1 star review on the play store and start looking for a new media player. 

Well... i gave up on my phone (Note 9) to try and used my old Note 3 for casting that had no issues. But then after a while i tried my Note 9 again and everything worked again and it still does up to now. This was in november or december 2020 i think. My wife's phone also worked suddenly so i guess it had to do something with Android.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, FluffyDiscord said:

I have the same issue with s10+, this needs to be fixed !

There are lots of discussions in this thread, so could you provide a bit more detail? What your precise problem is, Android and Poweramp versions, output device details, etc.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

There are lots of discussions in this thread, so could you provide a bit more detail? What your precise problem is, Android and Poweramp versions, output device details, etc.

Andre

Sure, here:

Chromecast model NC2-6A5

Poweramp build 895-905

Samsung s10+ android 11

Chromecast is added in Google Home

Behaviour: I can see my chromecast in Poweramp twice for some reason, neither one if them work. After casting, I can see that Poweramp is connected to my chromecast (Poweramp logo shows) and I can see the song name. Image (music cover) is not sent/visible. Poweramp appears to be playing the song, but every 2-3 seconds it skips back it's playback (basically stuck) and no sound is comming back from the chromecast (like the first post mentioned, same behaviour). Chromecast shows that it's playing, but music duration is stuck in one place and, no sound come out.

Music cast does work in other apps (example "Hi-Fi cast - Music Player" - android) or from MusicBee - Windows

Both devices are connected to same wifi, phone is on VPN (local network vpn - no ports are blocked). Disabling my VPN does nothing.

I was so happy getting my friends Chromecast to be able to use it with my favourite music player (been using the app for 6 years now, what a ride), but here we are :D

Screenshot_20210701-132530_Poweramp.jpg

IMG_20210701_132559.jpg

@FluffyDiscord My setup is fairly similar to yours, Galaxy A71 not an S10, and an older gen1 Chromecast. Mine generally works fine, although very occasionally I've experienced the issue you describe with everything seeming to play, but PA getting stuck with the progress bar moving for a few seconds and then resetting itself back again, and no sound coming from the output device. Usually resetting the connection (stop/restart casting, or change setting in PA Audio controls) seems to fix that.

image.png

image.png

Oddly my device says high-res not supported, but it seems to run at 96kHz if asked. Have you tried adjusting the output settings, changing the buffer, turning off artwork, etc?

Andre