Volume Key Long Press no longer works when screen is off

oldjackbob

As stated in the title, when I turn off the screen the Volume Key Long Press option to change tracks no longer works (I'm using wired earbuds). It works when the screen is on but not when the screen is off. It was working one day and then just stopped working. I've re-done the adb shell command shown in the settings page but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas? I really use that feature a lot.

NOTE: I'm running Android 11 Beta.

Edited by oldjackbob
edited to clarify use of earbuds

Tried that, no change (but thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried that before I saw your post).

I wonder if it's somehow related to the fact I'm running Android 11 Beta? If so, perhaps I should re-file the issue in the Bug Reports forum..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you using hi-res or normal output? Have you tried Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Emulate Media Stream? 

For me, it works whenever PA is not shown on screen (so that includes in the lockscreen/sleep, or with a Home page or another app displayed). It does not work when PA is the currently active app (but that is as expected).

@maxmp Is there are way you could also include an option to Fast-Forward or Rewind for as long as the volume rocker is held down? That would be really useful for me when my phone is in my pocket, or listening in bed at night; I can already skip tracks easily by double-clicking on the headset hook button, so the volume rocker merely duplicates that functionality and it'd be great to be able to spool back and forth in a song instead. 

Andre

On 12/23/2020 at 5:11 PM, andrewilley said:

Are you using hi-res or normal output? Have you tried Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Emulate Media Stream? 

For me, it works whenever PA is not shown on screen (so that includes in the lockscreen/sleep, or with a Home page or another app displayed). It does not work when PA is the currently active app (but that is as expected).

Andre

I've tried all combinations of settings I can think of to try but the problem persists (as it has for months on multiple devices, and other users are experiencing the same thing). Do the devs ever post in this Bug Reports forum?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It is now June 2021 and this still does not work. Not only with Poweramp though. Button Mapper long press volume keys to skip also doesn't work. It's an A11 problem where Google removed the capability. Unless there's another way to make it happen, it will probably be broken for quite some time of not forever. :(

Still not working on my current phone, Pixel 4a 5G. I even updated the operating system yesterday to Android 12 Beta, still not working.

Maxmp said he was going to investigate, but I have heard nothing since December.

Mark

It's working fine for me on a Galaxy A70 on the latest OTA update of Android 11. Long-press on volume keys acts to switch tracks when the screen is off or when PA is not the active app on-screen. Have you tried running the ADB permissions command again?

Double/triple taps on the hook button still do not work reliably for prev/next in the latest PA builds though, as per various posts in other thread.

@maxmp I forgot to check back, but is there are way you could create an option to Fast-Forward or Rewind for as long as the volume rocker is held down. Not sure if Android correctly sends DOWN and UP events for this action.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, RedBear said:

It's July 23,2021 and it's not working on my galaxy s20 fe 5g. Any word on a fix? 

Have you run the ADB command to enable Volume Key long-press? The vol key feature works well generally with the screen off - my Samsung device is fine for example. Are you running any third-party button managers? Are you using the latest Poweramp (build 909)?

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Have you run the ADB command to enable Volume Key long-press? The vol key feature works well generally with the screen off - my Samsung device is fine for example. Are you running any third-party button managers? Are you using the latest Poweramp (build 909)?

Andre

Yes I did all that and it didn't work and no other button manangers. However I had an issue with my adb so I reinstalled ADB and my Samsung drivers, revoked usb permissions and redid it asks it worked fine. Here's the webpage I used, in case others have issues. I've been using PA since 2012 so it's always up to date. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Same here with miui 12.5.5 -_- Just got a pair of bluetooth buds which can't change controls, and then this.. buuh what a bummer. What do they not understand😛

edit: if you have root, try Key Mapper by sds100 from play store. Can also set play/pause with volume up+down with adjustable long press time if you have shitty buds controls. Down->up and up->down in sequence. Sucks you need root but oh well edit2: update on that - you might also have/want to turn off the 'application has been granted super user access' toast for the application too as it appears kinda often, on my device at least.

Edited by lpv

• 1 month later...

There actually is a really neat app for this particular purpose, without requiring root. Change track with the volume keys. It's not very common but it's the only app I found that really worked for me. It's called Volume Key Skip Track, link here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.masel.volumekeyskiptrack 

It's a payed app but not that expensive and well worth it.