Poweramp will not automatically download album art

Markbazikian

Hello,

I have a large music library (majority are untagged files) I would normally download tracks and then manually add the album art myself after download via Poweramp album art search. This morning when I opened the app I noticed all my album art had defaulted to a random image I had saved in my downloads folder? All my album art is now reverted to this one image, I went into my downloads folder to locate that image and delete it, I deleted the image and now it has reverted to another image! I have all the options on in the settings to download album art and prefer downloaded album art so I'm not sure why it doesn't just search and download album art on its own without me having to search for album art manually in Poweramp and select album art for each individual song one at a time? Please help, I thought I had found a work around for this but have been dealing with this issue ever since I downloaded the app.

Thank you,

Mark

Screenshot_20200811-050919.jpg

It does sound like somehow the downloaded images have been removed from their storage location. Automated downloads are stored in the folder /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art , using the same base filename as the song file. There is another similar folder for manually chosen artwork (using filename matching if no tags, or "Artist - Album" if found). Check that those files are still present. If PA can't find a matching file, and dependent on the chosen options in Settings > Album Art, it can revert to using in-folder images, so ideally I would avoid keeping image files in the same folders as your music collection unless they are directly related to the music in that folder.

Auto-downloads work best with tagged files (Title/Artist/Album/etc) but the system should be able to attempt to work something out from just a filename if the file contains no embedded tag data at all. 

Andre

Hi Andre,

First, thank you so much for your prompt response. Would you be able to provide a step-by-step guide to show me what I can do to try to correct the storage location on my Huawei phone? I do also have a micro SD card in the phone for 400gb. I'm not that good with tinkering around with my phone so I apologize. Thank you

there is no album_art folder in the path you listed (Internal storage > Android > data > com.maxmpz.audioplayer

That directory has one folder called "files" , then that files folder has only one folder called "Music"  and that music folder is empty. Should I create a new album_art folder in the directory to com.maxmpz.audioplayer?

Hi Andre, I apologize, I wasn't looking for the underscore before "com" so I have the following folders in that directory:

album_art
artist_art
composer_art
milk_presets
playlist_art
selected_aa
selected_artist
selected_composer
selected_genre
selected_playlist

These are identical in both directories in the "Internal Storage" of the phone and the "SD card" if that makes a difference

Very possibly, yes. How long ago did you do this? If you have moved the contents of _com.maxmpz.audioplayer to your SD Card, consider moving them back (at least the contents of album_art anyway). You can move the music files themselves to SD Card, but not so easily the app itself or its support files.

Andre

@andrewilleyEver since I got the new Huawei phone when I cloned my old oneplus one to set up the new phone. I have always had this issue with the PA app and tried to work around it by just searching for my own album art for each individual song I downloaded at the time I downloaded it. They have not been moved, the entire directory has been copied to the SD card.

3 minutes ago, Markbazikian said:

Ever since I got the new Huawei phone when I cloned my old oneplus one to set up the new phone.

You were lucky it worked at all that way. You can restore the contents of individual folders (such as the cached image files stored in the album_art folder) but not ideally the whole app. While it may work, it's certainly not guaranteed. You should preferably have installed the app from scratch on your new device, however as you now have a Huawei phone - which probably is not supported by Google - you might struggle doing that if your original purchase was from the Google Play Store. If your original purchase method was from the website here though, you'll be fine as that does not rely on gapps.

If you do decide to uninstall/reinstall, please make a copy of that _com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder so you can copy downloaded artwork file back again later. Also Export your Poweramp Settings and any Playlists you may have created before uninstalling.

Andre

1 hour ago, Markbazikian said:

@andrewilley Why is PA unable to search and download album on it's own rather than reverting to a random default image in my phone's storage?

It already did, all of those files in album_art that you inadvertently moved to the SD Card are cover images that PA has downloaded. There may be other things still messed up by the abnormal install of course.

You can leave backups of the album_art folder elsewhere if you like, but PA will normally only look at the folders stored in internal memory. Also it is much better to have the app itself installed on internal memory rather than the SD Card.

It might help to do Settings > Album Art > Reset Negative Status, which will allow PA to recheck images that had previously not been found. Then each time you access a song with no artwork PA will look online to see what it can find. Also remember that filename-only fuzzy searching is far less exact compared to having your tracks properly tagged in the first place.  

Andre

Archived