Option to Select Album Cover Selected for Artist

Fitzian

I’m aware of the “Artist Image” finder, or selection of an image from the gallery, but for someone with all album covers being imbedded, this is not functional at all. There’s no image to select in my case. And so the first album alphabetically is always automatically chosen for a given artist/album-artist.

Example: album beginning with the number 2 was chosen (by PA) for artist picture. Deleted this album, album beginning with the letter B was chosen (by PA) for artist picture.

I wish to be able to change the pattern of “choosing” an album cover set for the Artist/Album-Artist, either making it entirely random , by most recent, by oldest, etc. Or just choose the album most aesthetically pleasing and set it as the default Artist Image.

Artist images (i.e. the images shown in the Artists category list, and subsequent Artist headers) are not taken from album art, they are sourced online based on the Artist's name, not the Album name. If you scroll down the Artists list, there will initially be empty placeholders which will gradually get populated as you move through the list. Sometimes you may see an album cover, but usually it's a band or individual artist shot.

You can also long-press on a name in the Artists list and choose 'Image' to choose your own image. Note: the wording 'No album art' in that screen is generic for any time the image downloading page is used, it might be better worded as "no artwork" as it doesn't always mean 'Album' art.

Andre

I am not interested in seeking artist images. This is about the artist images found from existing album artwork. In my case there are no images to find because they are all embedded in media. I want to change the pattern by which these images are gathered from album artwork.

52 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

I am not interested in seeking artist images. This is about the artist images found from existing album artwork.

Artist images are not read from embedded tag data within audio files. Although technically the ID3 spec allows for about 20 possible embedded image types (including $07 Lead Artist, $08 Artist/Performer and $0A Band/Orchestra) PA only interprets Cover Artwork from files.

Unless you specifically turn the feature off by disabling Settings > Album Art > Download Artist Images (which forces Album Art to be used instead) any artist images you see in PA should be either be auto-downloaded or manually assigned.

Andre

You are again not understanding me. It's very simple.

Quite simple.

I'm not looking for ARTIST IMAGES. This should have been clear to you from my first post.

Artist images, in my case, or the image shown next to the artist names, are being pulled from the media's embedded album artwork. Because I have download artist images DISABLED. Poweramp selects an album cover to show next to the artist heading. It does so alphabetically. This is unwanted. And changing the image manually does not function as I have no loose .jpg's to select from the gallery.

Poweramp most definitely knows how to get an image from tags to display by the artist name, and it does so as described. I wish to be able to choose the album cover from the existing albums.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to pull Artist images from your files (you did keep referencing artist images) not just an ordinary album cover from a different file.

That's should be very simple then.

Quite simple.

Drill down through the Artist category until you see the specific track from which you want to use its existing embedded album cover image. Long press on the track title and select 'Album Art'. Tick the 'Also use for Artist' box and tap on the existing 'embedded album art' image. 

Andre

On 8/2/2020 at 3:22 AM, andrewilley said:

Drill down through the Artist category until you see the specific track from which you want to use its existing embedded album cover image. Long press on the track title and select 'Album Art'. Tick the 'Also use for Artist' box and tap on the existing 'embedded album art' image.

I view my library through Album-Artist category, I typically don't even have the Artist category shown at all. This option does not show up when you drill down into the Album-Artist category to the song with existing embedded album cover images. It does only show up when you drill down the Artist category. But it does, thankfully, retain the selection made there for the Album-Artist category.

Correct, there is no image directly associated with the 'Album Artist' descriptor - which in many cases would be something along the lines of "Various Artists" anyway. Thus the extra option to assign an image for the Artist is only available in the Artist category.

@maxmp I can't see it would do any harm to provide an 'Also use image for Artist' tickbox when the user has arrived at the track via the Album Artist category too. And on a related note, were you able to give any thought to adding a similar tickbox when selecting Album artwork, so people can choose whether to apply newly selected artwork to the current track only, or to the whole album? (There was another thread on this general subject recently)

Andre

Archived