Android DAPs

Niggle

Hi all,

Been thinking of buying a DAP, and was wondering if anyone would care to share information on which DAPs can run Poweramp.  Those I'm aware of that might be candidates are

- Fiio M6, M9, M11

- iBasso DX150, DX160

Any others I may have missed?  Not crazy money (DX150 is probably out of range), and must support Bluetooth aptX and/or LDAC.

Many thanks,

Nigel

They should all run Poweramp, but whether you get high-res output is more of a device and ROM specific question. Also they often don't have full Google Play services installed, so you may need to install the app APK manually, and use a website-purchased licence rather than an existing Play Store one. That also may mean no streaming via Chromecast as that requires Google services.

There have been a number of threads about Fiio devices recently, probably worth searching for them. There have been some reported issues with high-res playback on the M6 for example.

Andre

Andre, thanks.  Yes, I'm aware of the need to purchase another licence and sideload.  Lack of chromecast not a problem.  Lack of streaming support probably not a problem either, but never say never 😉

So am I right in listing only Fiio and iBasso as possible Android candidates, or are there any other manufacturers I may have missed?  The DAP world is very new to me, and the choice is bewildering.  Might even go for something more compact and forget Android altogether (HiBy, Shanling, Hidizs, etc.).  Just feeling out the options at this stage ...

Thanks, I'll have a search around for Fiio threads ...

Nigel

I'm afraid I don't know much about the dedicated DAP market, other than that many of them seem to be cut-down Android devices with (I assume) higher quality audio components.

Since phones have come so all-encompassing I've not really felt the need to carry around a separate mapbook, compact camera, CD/MP3 player, etc. I find that for my use, my phone does all of these tasks just as well if not better (with the exception of serious DSLR photography, for which the lenses and sensors in phones just aren't a match) .

Andre

Archived